Overclock.net banner

[solved] Will an overkill power supply cause and issue with an appropriate UPS?

239 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  elletrix 
#1 ·
I'm ordering parts form my new system and stuck on the UPS. I've read the guide in the sticky but I'm still not sure. I'll be using a 1000w PSU in the build (to have room for later expansion) but when built the system would be fine with a 800w PSU. Will using a 900w UPS with a 1000w PSU cause a program even if the usage will never go over 800w?

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletrix View Post

I'm ordering parts form my new system and stuck on the UPS. I've read the guide in the sticky but I'm still not sure. I'll be using a 1000w PSU in the build (to have room for later expansion) but when built the system would be fine with a 800w PSU. Will using a 900w UPS with a 1000w PSU cause a program even if the usage will never go over 800w?
No, the run time will be diminished but will support it for a minimum of 5 minutes @ 900w.

Remember, your PSU has an efficiency, so if you use 800w in the computer with an 80+ gold then your effectively consuming around 920w out of the wall (this is all hypothetical).

The amount you use fluctuates with what you do, if you're computer idles or you fold the wattage used will be different. What matters is your PSU can handle and distribute up to 1000w of power, but it won't consume that power all the time. Like a car that has 900 BHP, you don't use that HP at a stop sign or a red light.
thumb.gif

#4 ·
z77 mpower
evga gtx 680 classified (x2)
2 hdds in raid
1 ssd
11 fans along with a water cooling pump

Plan to OC the the 680s along with the 3770k

The PSU is a Seasonic 1000w Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rognin View Post

No, the run time will be diminished but will support it for a minimum of 5 minutes @ 900w.

Remember, your PSU has an efficiency, so if you use 800w in the computer with an 80+ gold then your effectively consuming around 920w out of the wall (this is all hypothetical).

The amount you use fluctuates with what you do, if you're computer idles or you fold the wattage used will be different. What matters is your PSU can handle and distribute up to 1000w of power, but it won't consume that power all the time. Like a car that has 900 BHP, you don't use that HP at a stop sign or a red light.
thumb.gif
Thanks, just wanted to be on the safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.