Overclock.net banner

Some 5970 Benchmarks

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  LuI3 
#1 ·
This is all I got done so far. I am able to run the 5970 at the 5870 clock speeds at the default 5970 voltage, which is 0.10V less than the 5870 default. More to come when I get the time

Now just stock settings have not overclocked and ran these benches yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Please run furmark with the clocks at 850/1200, and see if your card declocks after 10 minutes or so. Take pictures of the temps after 10 minutes as well please. This is the only issue i'm seeing with this card, and it will be interesting if a non-reviewer card suffers from the same issues.

According to some reviewers, the card can't handle those clocks under intense load and will revert to 550MHz core.

Also... Amazing scores.

#3 ·
Good deal. Very nice.

#4 ·
I ran Furmark for 5 minutes and did not notice any downclocking but I will do the 10 minutes, at something like the 5870 clock speeds and default 5970 volts with fan on 100%. I noticed in the 5 minutes I ran it my VRM's only hit 90 degrees, unlike AnAndtech's 110 degrees nor the 120 degrees. Not sure what there fan speed was thou...Would suppose its 100%

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake011
View Post

I ran Furmark for 5 minutes and did not notice any downclocking but I will do the 10 minutes, at something like the 5870 clock speeds and default 5970 volts with fan on 100%. I noticed in the 5 minutes I ran it my VRM's only hit 90 degrees, unlike AnAndtech's 110 degrees nor the 120 degrees. Not sure what there fan speed was thou...Would suppose its 100%

Yea the reviewers ran it at 850/1200 and claimed it declocked after around 40 seconds after quickly reaching 110C+. I find this very hard to believe. 90C is fine for the VRMs. The 4870 series VRMs hit 130C.

It's nice to know you aren't suffering from these issues. My 5970 comes on Monday.

#7 ·
Well I order to hit 110 degrees on the VRM's they must of left the fan on auto, thats my only guess or did Xtreme Burn in test, which I can see the VRM's that high there. I am sure the card will downclock, I read it somewhere other than anandtech that AMD built the downclocking in, but where it hits in is a mystery for me. I am not sure if its from the VRM's or the cores, since the VRM's can take much more heat than the cores can, like you said and what is an excellent example the 4870x2. My VRM's would hit 120 to 130 on furmark and my cores would be about 90 or so, and I would be cursing along fine.

Vantage score of 860/1190 isnt enough

#8 ·
By the way, is this on Catalyst 9.11 or 9.12 betas? I hear the official 9.12s are suppose to increase scores dramatically.

I'm still amazed that these scores at stock on the GPU and GPU...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake011
View Post

Well I order to hit 110 degrees on the VRM's they must of left the fan on auto, thats my only guess or did Xtreme Burn in test, which I can see the VRM's that high there. I am sure the card will downclock, I read it somewhere other than anandtech that AMD built the downclocking in, but where it hits in is a mystery for me. I am not sure if its from the VRM's or the cores, since the VRM's can take much more heat than the cores can, like you said and what is an excellent example the 4870x2. My VRM's would hit 120 to 130 on furmark and my cores would be about 90 or so, and I would be cursing along fine.

Vantage score of 860/1190 isnt enough

How loud is 100% fan speed on this card? On my 4870X2 is was unbearable, probably about 4-5x louder than any other fan in my case. My computer is really loud too.

I'm crossing my fingers for a 24/7 stable 850/1200 overclock... I don't see the point of going any higher.

#9 ·
Can you do some game benchmarks and in some reasonable overclock in the i7 like 3.6Ghz or 3.8Ghz.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Please run furmark with the clocks at 850/1200, and see if your card declocks after 10 minutes or so. Take pictures of the temps after 10 minutes as well please. This is the only issue i'm seeing with this card, and it will be interesting if a non-reviewer card suffers from the same issues.

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?znzjfg0g23m

That is half an hour of furmark. 900 core / 1250 memory.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihitbuttons
View Post

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?znzjfg0g23m

That is half an hour of furmark. 900 core / 1250 memory.

Yup, that pretty much proves that the couple of reviewers that got really high temps got faulty cards. Thats a sapphire? Good to know.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Yup, that pretty much proves that the couple of reviewers that got really high temps got faulty cards. Thats a sapphire? Good to know.

Hey All,

I'm running Sapphire 5970's in Crossfire and have run my cards at 5870 clocks with no issues. At max i saw the temps go up to about 90-94c during furmark and during gaming it was the same. I generally run Crysis for 30-1hr time to do real world tests.

When i first recieved my two cards one was faulty. It sounded as though the fan was the issue. I was getting weird artifacts on the screen. This was at stock clocks mind you as i never run any type of overclocking unless i know the hardware is good at stock.

Eversince i've replaced the card it has been running like a dream. I've chosen not to run my cards at 5870 speeds as nothing really requires those speeds with two of these cards.

My advice would be to wait for the offical drivers for 5970 cards if you'd like to run overclocks 24/7 with these cards as i've noticed a strange bug.

You'll know when this happens when you see a sort of artifact on your mouse cursor, then it'll slow down your pc which will require you to do a restart of the machine. Other people have experienced this and i'm confident it's not hardware related because once i do a restart everythings back to normal. I also load up a game to see if anything is out of the ordinary but everything works fine. This has only happend to me twice within the month, so yeah nothing to worry about.

Hope this info has helped

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.