Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up for those of you that may buy a 6990 and plan on using the DisplayPort connection or running dual display monitors with higher than 1920x1200 resolution. I was going to hook up my new XFX 6990 to my Dell U3011 via DisplayPort until I found out after opening it that there was no adapter included to use DisplayPort. There's a Mini Displayport Adapter for HDMI and two for single link DVI but not a single Mini DP to DP adapter included for the 4 Mini DisplayPorts.

I went and looked up what the other 6990 vendors are including and it appears a few of them like Sapphire, PowerColor, HIS and Visiontek are including the DisplayPort adapter whereas others like XFX and MSI are not. So after buying a $735 video card if I want to actually use a DisplayPort connection or connect more than one monitor over 1920x1200 or run AMD Eyefinity with 4 displays then I have to go and buy an additional adapter that should of already been included with a flagship card of this price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Well it comes down to the bottom line; you probability about the cheapest 6990 out there, the money has to come from somewhere, and the easiest way to cut cost without directly impacting the quality of the main product is through packaging or accessories.

There is really no obligation for XFX to include it, especially since you can just use the Mini DP to DVI to connect your monitor (don't use HDMI as you won't be able to achieve native resolution) since it is a digital signal. Also the Mini DP --> HDMI/DVI adapters are far more expensive than the Mini DP-->DP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo
View Post

Well it comes down to the bottom line; you probability about the cheapest 6990 out there, the money has to come from somewhere, and the easiest way to cut cost without directly impacting the quality of the main product is through packaging or accessories.

There is really no obligation for XFX to include it, especially since you can just use the Mini DP to DVI to connect your monitor (don't use HDMI as you won't be able to achieve native resolution) since it is a digital signal. Also the Mini DP --> HDMI/DVI adapters are far more expensive than the Mini DP-->DP.

They shouldn't need to be trying to cut cost on a card retailing for over $700 when mini DP to DP adapters are being included with cards that cost a third of the price. And no you can't just use the Mini DP to DVI to connect to the monitor if your monitor's native resolution is higher than 1920x1200 because the included adapters are single link DVI. So out of the box the XFX 6990 only supports one display with a resolution over 1920x1200.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
Your complaint may be valid. However; check your premises.

Quote:


I have to go and buy an adapter that should of already been included with a flagship card of this price.

Exactly what part of a product being expensive translates to "more included accessories?"

Quote:


They shouldn't need to be trying to cut cost

How can you know this to be true?

I think it would be fair to say that your emotions got ahead of you on this one. Emotions cloud critical thinking and levelheadedness.

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

Your complaint may be valid. However; check your premises.

Exactly what part of a product being expensive translates to "more included accessories?"

It is ATI's flagship dual GPU card that retails for over $700 and from what I understand they typically carry the highest profit margins for the manufacturer compared to the mainstream video cards. Because of this it should offer the same functionality out of the box that cards which are a fraction of the price do and to me only supporting one dual link DVI with no DisplayPort adapter isn't doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
I agree with the op on this one. You pay that kind of money for something they should include the $2 adapter. Cheapskates. I cant speak for xfx as I have never owned one of there products, but MSI is really cheaping out these days.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
This premise that "because company A does such and such, company B should also do such and such" does not have any foundation to stand on. It is in fact, false.

Explain, what rights of yours were violated through the lack of accessories?

You can share your very valid frustration with us, or the company you purchased the product from or both. To dictate what should and should not be is a path to tyranny and enslavement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by AliceInChains
View Post

You pay that kind of money for something they should include the $2 adapter.

The premise of this argument is that the transaction was not optional. Upon realizing that it was a free market transaction made by free parties, the premise is shown to be false.

---------------------------------

Perhaps the most hilarious point to be taken from this thread is that we have someone complaining about the perceived "value" of a product that everyone knows is not a value oriented product to begin with. I mean seriously, when was the last time a top-tier GPU was a value oriented purchase?

If I were selling top-tier GPUs I'd slap a *****-n-moan fee on em
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,813 Posts
Did the product listing or box say it included such an adapter? No? Then what are you complaining about?

"Well I just thought they should put it in, you know."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by burningrave101
View Post

They shouldn't need to be trying to cut cost on a card retailing for over $700 when mini DP to DP adapters are being included with cards that cost a third of the price. And no you can't just use the Mini DP to DVI to connect to the monitor if your monitor's native resolution is higher than 1920x1200 because the included adapters are single link DVI. So out of the box the XFX 6990 only supports one display with a resolution over 1920x1200.

The fact you paid 700 does not mean it should include everything in a product that costs only 300. The onus is on the buyer to make sure that a product fits his or her needs.

Why did you buy XFX over another AIB partner? Probably because it was cheaper/it was the only one in stock. Maybe it is you who cheaped out on not buying a card that included all the accessories you needed? Does AMD or anyone else for that matter specify a "standard" accessory pack for HD6990s?

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...spx?lang=en-us

On their site the only thing it is said to include is the installation CD and the card itself. Any adapters you got is an added bonus.

By your logic since your monitor cost more than your graphics card and most displayport outputs are of the mini dp variety the Dell U3011 should come with any necessary adapters. Or maybe it is AMD who is cheaping out and not including dual link DVI outputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo;14165309
The fact you paid 700 does not mean it should include everything in a product that costs only 300. The onus is on the buyer to make sure that a product fits his or her needs.
What do you mean it shouldn't? I shouldn't expect the highest priced video card from AMD to be able to support out of the box two monitors higher than 1920x1200 when cards at a fraction of the price do? And I shouldn't expect XFX to include a single DisplayPort adapter, even when other vendors of the same product are, when they're selling an AMD part which is made up entirely of Mini DisplayPort interfaces outside of one dual link DVI connection?

Unlike nVidia's GTX 590 which comes with 3 dual link DVI interfaces the 6990 only has one so without a Mini DP to DP adapter it only supports one monitor at a resolution over 1920x1200. My complaint here is that a video card of this price should support at least 2 high resolution monitors out of the box and this particular vendor as well as a couple others chose not to provide that support.

Here you can see the eVGA Classified GTX 590 priced at $749.99 and not only does it include the 3 dual link DVI interfaces but it also includes the Display Port adapter for its Mini Display Port interface thus supporting 4 high resolution monitors out of the box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130630&cm_re=gtx_590-_-14-130-630-_-Product
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo;14165309
Why did you buy XFX over another AIB partner? Probably because it was cheaper/it was the only one in stock. Maybe it is you who cheaped out on not buying a card that included all the accessories you needed? Does AMD or anyone else for that matter specify a "standard" accessory pack for HD6990s?
Because at the moment you don't have a choice which brand of 6990 you want to pick when you go to buy unless you want to wait forever and maybe not even get one at all. You buy when one comes in stock before it sells out in a matter of a couple of minutes since even the large retailers like Newegg are only getting a handful per week.

Price had nothing to do with it because the reference 6990's are all within a similar dollar value of one another and the XFX is in fact one of the more expensive ones that was priced at $734.99 ea from Newegg whereas the PowerColor 6990 priced at $709.99 ea includes a DisplayPort adapter.

And I can get by for now just using the one dual link DVI port but its the premise that a card this high-end should include enough acceessories to make use of at least one or two DisplayPort's since it only has one interface capable of running a monitor over 1920x1200 without having to go out and spend more on adapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo;14165309
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/hd%206000series/6990.aspx?lang=en-us

On their site the only thing it is said to include is the installation CD and the card itself. Any adapters you got is an added bonus.
Adapters are not an added bonus when the cards interfaces are unusable without them. Displays don't ship with Mini Display Ports on them. You have to use an adapter to convert it to a usable Display connector. AMD should of made it mandatory that at least 1 or 2 Display adapters are included since they chose to use 4 Mini DP interfaces instead of providing multiple dual link DVI interfaces like nVidia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo;14165309
By your logic since your monitor cost more than your graphics card and most displayport outputs are of the mini dp variety the Dell U3011 should come with any necessary adapters. Or maybe it is AMD who is cheaping out and not including dual link DVI outputs.
The Dell U3011 comes with a Display Port cable as well as cables to connect to most other interfaces but monitors come with cables, not adapters. Adapters are up to the video card vendors to include based on which type of interface they choose to use on the card. Mini DP is an unusable interface without an adapter to convert it to something else. And your right AMD is partly to blame for cheaping out and not including more than one dual link DVI output or making sure that at least one or two Mini DP to DP adapters are included with their flagship $700+ model cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,506 Posts
Dude, seriously. If you checked what you were buying, you should have known it DID NOT come with the adapter. You assumed it should, but it does not. Companies are not going to throw in every single adapter possible for your setup, so get over it. I own two 6990s and both of them came with different accessories. Am I going to cry that MSI gave me something extra that HIS didn't....No. Display adapters have always been an optional accessory with these and previous cards. The Eyefinity 6 5870 is one such example. Asus, Sapphire and MSI all had varying mini display port adapters with the card, so it nothing new. Even my MSI came with the extra long Crossfire bridge cable that works on the Asus RIIIE mobo, but my HIS didn't. As for the 6990....you can see what is what below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...th%20Eyefinity
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
You do realize that the 700 dollar card costs more because it costs more to manufacture, not because it comes with more stuff. So your 700 dollar card may cost 650 dollars to make and they are selling it for 50 dollar profit. While on the other hand the 300 dollar card could only cost 150 dollars, to build, and they have the extra room to include more accessories. Have you ever taken economics?
Plus what everybody else has said, it is a free market, the company is not required to include anything but the card and the CD. So you should really check the product you are buying and see what it comes with to make sure you get what you want, before you start complaining about it, it is your own fault for not choosing one that came with all the stuff you wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think most of you are completely missing the point which is it's not that big of deal for me to have to go out and buy the additional adapters that I would need but simply the fact that I shouldn't have to when already spending $735 on the video card.

The fact that XFX included two single link DVI adapters and an Mini DP to HDMI instead of a DisplayPort adapter is just ignorance on their part because those adapters use clock generators of which the card itself only supports a maximum of two. So not only can you not drive displays over 1920x1200 with any of the three adapters but you can only use two of the adapters at once.

When the GTX 590 is supporting no less than three dual link DVI connections out of the box along with its Mini DP to DisplayPort adapter the 6990 should support at least two 2560x1600 displays because low-end $150 video cards do that. And when you buy a premium overpriced product like the AMD 6990 it should come with more than just the minimum number of accessories and a video card geared towards high resolution gaming shouldn't be shipping with a bunch of single link DVI cables that can only support up to 1920x1200.

So again, I'm not trying to legally prove that XFX ripped me off by not including a DisplayPort adapter that wasn't shown with the XFX bundle, I'm only calling out certain vendors for being cheap and not including neccessary adapters with a $735 flagship video card to provide full functionality of the card out of the box for at least two high resolution displays. If Sapphire, PowerColor, Visiontek, and HIS included a DisplayPort adapter then what reason does XFX and MSI have for not because it's not due to them offering their part at a lower price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,265 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by burningrave101
View Post

I think most of you are completely missing the point which is it's not that big of deal for me to have to go out and buy the additional adapters that I would need but simply the fact that I shouldn't have to when already spending $735 on the video card.

I think we understand the argument entirely. The problem is that many of us are capable of looking at the argument through the eyes of a non-partisan critical thinking lens. We see a free market, and a person who engaged in that free market and didn't get what they thought they would get do a lack of proper research.

Quote:


The fact that XFX included two single link DVI adapters and an Mini DP to HDMI instead of a DisplayPort adapter is just ignorance on their part because those adapters use clock generators of which the card itself only supports a maximum of two. So not only can you not drive displays over 1920x1200 with any of the three adapters but you can only use two of the adapters at once.

They had an overstock of particular adapters and shoveled them off on all those unsuspecting "victims" who bought 6990s?

Are you a victim?

Quote:


When the GTX 590 is supporting no less than three dual link DVI connections out of the box along with its Mini DP to DisplayPort adapter the 6990 should support at least two 2560x1600 displays because low-end $150 video cards do that.

You're arguing that because someone else does something they should to. You realize how ridiculous this is?

Yes, it would have been BETTER FOR YOU if they included a different set of adapters, but I really can't connect the dots on how this should be some sort of "requirement."

Quote:


And when you buy a premium overpriced product like the AMD 6990 it should come with more than just the minimum number of accessories and a video card geared towards high resolution gaming shouldn't be shipping with a bunch of single link DVI cables that can only support up to 1920x1200.

Should there be a law that forces these companies to comply with your wishes? Do we really need more laws?

Quote:


So again, I'm not trying to legally prove that XFX ripped me off by not including a DisplayPort adapter that wasn't shown with the XFX bundle, I'm only calling out certain vendors for being cheap and not including neccessary adapters with a $735 flagship video card to provide full functionality of the card out of the box for at least two high resolution displays. If Sapphire, PowerColor, Visiontek, and HIS included a DisplayPort adapter then what reason does XFX and MSI have for not because it's not due to them offering their part at a lower price.

Well... if they got a really good deal on a bulk pile of adapters that aren't to your liking, and they bungled them with that card in order to maintain a profit margin while beating the competition on price point... then, well, that's just damn smart business bean counters doing what they do best. I don't see anything wrong with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

I think we understand the argument entirely. The problem is that many of us are capable of looking at the argument through the eyes of a non-partisan critical thinking lens. We see a free market, and a person who engaged in that free market and didn't get what they thought they would get do a lack of proper research.

A non-partisan critical thinking lens? Give me a break man lol. Why don't you take your anolytical nonsence back to the polical and or religious debate forum where it belongs and stop spewing all this self educated BS in a discussion about an adapter for a video card.

Quote:


Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

You're arguing that because someone else does something they should to. You realize how ridiculous this is?

Yes, it would have been BETTER FOR YOU if they included a different set of adapters, but I really can't connect the dots on how this should be some sort of "requirement."

It is not ridiculous at all. Because that is EXACTLY what happens in every hardware review from the very end user reviews on Newegg to the professional reviews posted at sites like Anandtech and HardOCP and it especially happens on an open hardware forum where our sole purpose here is to discuss what we think about the hardware. When a products performance and or features and accessories do not match up with a competing product it is stated as such, it is debated, and opinions on what should or should not be the standard for such product are perfectly valid.

And along with that as a consumer I'm 100% within my right to complain about anything I feel that should be differently when it's my money purchasing their products. It is those complaints from customers that keep manufacturers in check and causes them to look at where their products need to be improved.

Quote:


Originally Posted by mdocod
View Post

Well... if they got a really good deal on a bulk pile of adapters that aren't to your liking, and they bungled them with that card in order to maintain a profit margin while beating the competition on price point... then, well, that's just damn smart business bean counters doing what they do best. I don't see anything wrong with this.

What competition are they beating in price? Similar vendors are offering the same reference cards for less and still including a DisplayPort adaptor along with the other adapters that XFX includes.

Anyways this is turning out to be an incredibly pointless and rather ignorant debate about something that was nothing more than a minor nuissance that I wanted to call attention to because I feel it is cheap on the manufacturers part to not include neccessary adapters to even connect more than one 2560x1600 display out of the box on such a high-end video card of this price.

It's like buying a 1500w power supply and them only giving you one 8-pin PCI-E power connector so that you have to buy more if you want to power more than one video card. And I guarantee you if a PSU manufacturer did that they would be called out for it in reviews and would get a lower rating because of it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top