Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -- Been thinking about getting into WC for a while now and even started buying the parts to do so...However, now I'm stuck at a bit of a dilemma.

My dilemma is, at this point buying an H70 would be cheaper than taking the plunge into a complete setup so, I don't quite know if it's worth it.

So this is basically a H70 VS WC setup question.

Current WC parts:
Swiftech 360 Rad
Dtek Fuzion 2
MCP 655 Var
Fittings//other varius stuffs.

What's on my list:
XSPC Dual 5.25 (Pump/Res)
3 Scythe Gentle Typhoons
Tubing etc...

Price to finish WC and do it properly: 175$

Price for the H70: 90$ to my door.

Atm, I have a Qx9650 @ 3.2ghz and it stays around 38-46 on the Coolermaster V8 (lapped) so, my goal is to improve those temps but, longevity is key.

Obviously with push//pull I can get temps quite a bit down with the H70 but, if I want to hit 4ghz +, I feel I will be pushing the limits of the H70 ~ I don't necessarilly want to do any crazy overclocking but, I want to be sure the H70 can handle it.

So my real question is...What are the suggestions? Should I cut my losses and sell off my WC parts and just get an H70 or, should I finish with the idea I'll be going to the I7 or whatever is in the future and ideally just change the block?

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Wait, you think that the XSPC Bay reservoir for Laing D5, fans and tubing will cost $175?

I'd say those items would cost $75 max!

XPSC Bay Res - $40
Tubing - $15
Fans - $20

Medium Speed Yate Loons cost only $5 a piece and get about 80% of the performance of a gentle typhoon does.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I honestly would get a custom loop and call it a day. As you are stuck with just a cpu cooler with the h50/h70. With the custom loop you can expand and all more when you need it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Masked

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
I would say that you are half way there, go for the full WC setup.

As Charliehorse said, you are not going to need $175 for a res, fans and tubing.

Res $40

Fans @ $15 * 3 = $45

Expensive tubing @ $2/ft, 10 ft = $20

Adds up to $105

With a little more expenditure you can get a higher performing rig, which you can expand later to include a GPU.

Edit: a good i7 CPU block, $73

Being able to easily OC to 4GHz, priceless.....

• Rep+
Reactions: Masked

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Wait, you think that the XSPC Bay reservoir for Laing D5, fans and tubing will cost $175?

XPSC Bay Res - $40
Tubing - $15
Fans - $20

Medium Speed Yate Loons cost only $5 a piece and get about 80% of the performance of a gentle typhoon does.
Your Sidewinder Shopping cart:

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25" Reservoir for one Laing D5 / MCP655 58.95$
Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Silent Case Fan - 37 CFM, 1150 RPM 41.97$
Feser Tube - FT - Active UV Hose - ID 1/2" - UV BLUE 10ft 29.50$
Bitspower G 1/4 Matte Black 3/8in. ID Barb - BP-MBWP-C02 x6 16.50

Already over what the H70 costs...Regardless of if I buy cheaper components or not, they end at the same price range.

That's what "doing it right" will cost...In my mind ~ Want it to look legit etc.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Quote:

XPSC Bay Res - $40
Tubing - $15
Fans - $20

This. Charliehorse55 is right.

You should also consider the ability to upgrade too. While the h70 is a cheap solution that will get the job done...you can't easily add a gpu to the loop. With a custom loop, you can always add or detract from it to suit your needs.

I think everyone one of us in the watercooling forums had that "whatever I'm just pulling the trigger and taking the plunge" moment. Making a custom loop is really rewarding and gives you the ability to add your own style to your PC. I say go the custom loop route, even if it does end up being more expensive than the H70.

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool deal guys, ty for the advice.

+1 rep'd for all of ya.

I guess I'll finish the loop then...

On another note, I actually had those fans earlier and they're extremely loud...Perhaps the 3 are duds of some sort but, looking for something with a very low DB rating...Any suggestions?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masked View Post
I guess I'll finish the loop then...
Great, I can guarantee that you will have fun with it.

Quote:

On another note, I actually had those fans earlier and they're extremely loud...Perhaps the 3 are duds of some sort but, looking for something with a very low DB rating...Any suggestions?
Which fans? The GTs? My Gt 1450 was very quiet, up until the point when I stepped on it when installing an upgrade that is (it was silent after that, with the drawback that it didn't rotate).

You could always invest in a fan controller for about $30 as well if you want to control the amount of noise the fans make. Drop them down when surfing and crank them up when gaming...

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Medium Speed yate loons with a fan controller would probably be your best. Here is a cart I've made to save you some money:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacdu5refor1.html - Reservoir
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/yalo12d1cafa1.html - Fans
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dupvctu1idx3.html - Tubing

You'll notice that build is a lot less than $175. If you're concerned about the volume of your fans, get a fan controller.
Schweeeet!

Ty

I actually just found 3 old fans that I never used, Kaze DFS etc etc etc.

If I went ahead and bought a fan controller for them...What would be suggested?

This any good?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Quote:

Current WC parts:
Swiftech 360 Rad
Dtek Fuzion 2
MCP 655 Var
Fittings//other varius stuffs.
What am I missing. It appears to me that if you simply added a res or t-line and 3 fans to this you would have your loop. If you already have a rad, pump, block, fittings (not sure what other various stuff is).

If you wanted to keep it real cheap, get tubing and a T fitting to make a t-line and 3 fans. You could even go cheap and get the $3.00 120mm fans that would be good enough until you can get good ones. Distilled and some pt-nuke done.

I always agree with Charlehorse, but seems you could go even cheaper if you were in a pinch and simply add the other stuff later.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Schweeeet!

Ty

I actually just found 3 old fans that I never used, Kaze DFS etc etc etc.

If I went ahead and bought a fan controller for them...What would be suggested?

This any good?
It's a decent unit, and while @ 12w per channel it's a bit weak, but considering you are only going to be using quiet (thus low powered) fans it will work fine.

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

It's a decent unit, and while @ 12w per channel it's a bit weak, but considering you are only going to be using quiet (thus low powered) fans it will work fine.
Are there better out there for the same price?

Realistically, I'd rather do it right the first time and am trying to keep it "quiet" so, 3-5v I think would be good.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Realistically, I'd rather do it right the first time and am trying to keep it "quiet" so, 3-5v I think would be good.
12 Watts is plenty per channel. The starting power for 120mm fans is roughly 5W (different for different models), so you can easily run two fans per channel, and it will probably run 3 per channel without too much trouble.

That gives you 8 fans easily, 12 fans at a push. Should be plenty.

Edit: Once the fan is running it will consume a lot less power, ~1-2W, so no worries there.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Get that unit. There is no sense in spending money on a better fan controller if you're never going to use the extra power.

You're also confusing power with voltage. The wattage rating of a fan controller only limits how powerful fan you can use. Considering that you are looking for quiet fans you will never come close to the 12w rating.

Don't worry, that fan controller will be able to under-volt your fans enough to make them very quiet.

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hrm, cool ~

Last question, I was just looking at tube diameters and such...

Do I want to go 3/8ths with just my processor in the loop or should I be looking at 1/2?

Any suggestions in that regard?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Do I want to go 3/8ths with just my processor in the loop or should I be looking at 1/2?

Any suggestions in that regard?
1/2" is going to give slightly more flow than 3/8", however it is easier to kink and takes up more space.

As far as I know, you are not going to see a huge performance difference between the two (someone correct me if I am wrong), so I would go with the 3/8" as it is cheaper, and will bend in smaller radii.

Edit: found an old test here that shows very little difference in flow and calculates about 0.12°C difference between the 3/8" and 1/2" for a 114W heat load. I would go for 3/8"!

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about compression fittings?

Are they worth getting at this time as well?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Personally I have always used barbs, mostly because they are cheaper, with spring steel type clamps.

If you want to go compression fittings, ensure that BOTH the tube ID and OD are in spec with the fitting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts