Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've been wanting to build a new computer within the up coming weeks (its been 5 years since my last build lol) and I've run into a lot of confusion about the PCIe 3.0.
Does the cpu have to have PCIe 3 support for the motherboard and GPU to use PCIe 3?
Main reason why I ask is I'm thinking of getting a AsRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 with a 2600k and AMD 7950 (when it releases).
thumb.gif

thanks
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
indeed and the 2600K doesn't support it, but 3770K will, i would wait for Ivy bridge and get a Z77 board, but that is just me. you waited 5 years, why not wait a few months more, like until april.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
with current Intel processors, PCIe is run from the CPU.

Almost all current 1155 boards should support at least 1 slot of PCIe 3.0.

The reason that some boards "don't support" PCIe3.0 is because with 1155, you need PCIe switches to manage where the 16 lanes from the cpu go. So if you have a board with 2 PCIe slots, the switches tell 8 lanes to go to one slot, and 8 to the other. If the switches don't support PCIe 3.0, then technically it isn't PCIe3.0 compatible board (unless you are gigabutt, and then you brand it PCIe 3.0 anyways...i see you there sin
wink.gif
)

No, the 2600K does not support PCIe3.0

Ivy Bridge will support PCIe3.0

Yes that board will support PCIe3.0

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
lol GB didn't brand anything PCi-E 3.0 that wasn't infact they silently released rev 1.3 boards which have it on the box, otherwise it doesn't say PCi-E 3.0 in the specs or on the box.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

so far tests say no, but no expected there to really be.
yea I was thinking the same. So if I buy the motherboard and later upgrade, CPU and GPU it'll fully support PCIe 3?
Also is there is any other motherboards like the AsRock but at a lower cost.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurellaz696 View Post

yea I was thinking the same. So if I buy the motherboard and later upgrade, CPU and GPU it'll fully support PCIe 3?
Also is there is any other motherboards like the AsRock but at a lower cost.
Thanks
probably the cheapest Gen3 mobo would be the ASrock z68 extreme3 gen3 mobo that im aware of at about $130 max. actually there is a asrock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 about $20 cheaper but i dont think its worth it. both support PCIe 3.0 and you can easliy drop in an Ivy bridge cpu..
smile.gif

and yes, if you buy a gen3 mobo that is has PCIe 3.0 and an Ivy Bridge cpu and a PCIe 3.0 card you will be fully supported..
also if your wanting to build an Ivy bridge ready rig, why not wait until the z77 mobos are out

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazarada View Post

unlike the p67, z68 extreme 3 has crap for VRMs - not an awesome deal.
this is is true, but they are the cheapest i know of, goes to show spend extra to get better quality. if anything the extreme4 gen3 would be better tho still people talk about low quality VRMs but see what the owners have to say in the club http://www.overclock.net/t/1138581/official-asrock-z68-discussion-owners-club i think you will find mixed impressions.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:

also quick question, little bit off but beats having to start an another thread:

Would 650W be enough to power

ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3,
Intel Core i7 2600K,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB,
XFX Radeon HD 6970,
two SATA HDD
5 - 6 120mm fans

thanks
650W is enough for all the above.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:

so yea I'm going to be over clocking a lot, so good VRMs would be a better option I guess.
I am glad someone noticed. lol GB and ASUS use good quality VRMs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
MSI just made that up, and it really sin't so true. At least about the resistors and caps, the ones on all GB boards meet PCI-E 3.0 spec(PCI-E 3.0 spec states that the values must be at least or great than.BUT if you want all your PCi-E 3.0 lanes, as in you want a GB board with PCi-E 3.0 switches, you need to look for rev 1.3 GIGABYTE motherboard. They have Z68X-UD3H rev 1.3 for instance. MSI is a joke BTW they do whatever they can to get sales, as in they are losing money faster than a john. You don't see ASUS do crap like that, nope you see ASUS state the same thing GIGABYTE stated.
wink.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

MSI just made that up, and it really sin't so true. At least about the resistors and caps, the ones on all GB boards meet PCI-E 3.0 spec(PCI-E 3.0 spec states that the values must be at least or great than.BUT if you want all your PCi-E 3.0 lanes, as in you want a GB board with PCi-E 3.0 switches, you need to look for rev 1.3 GIGABYTE motherboard. They have Z68X-UD3H rev 1.3 for instance. MSI is a joke BTW they do whatever they can to get sales, as in they are losing money faster than a john. You don't see ASUS do crap like that, nope you see ASUS state the same thing GIGABYTE stated.
wink.gif
thank you for that, I've found now lots of GB boards that have rev 1.3+
now that can save a few dollars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts