Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I'm moving from my previous 4790k build in a silencio 652s case which have been too small for my needs.

I've got a 8700k on the way matched with a gigabyte gaming 7 MOBO. I'll be moving my sli of 1080 ti seahawk that where seriously too big and cumbersome for previous case in this new build. Since I do want to OC the 8700k to somewhere near 5ghz on all core (if silicon let me) I was looking to get an Alphacool Eisbaer 420 which I found for decent pricing, instead of using my old nepton 280l which have been plagued by bubble noise since day 1.

Now, I was looking at case that would fit the 2 rad from the seahawk as well as the 420mm rad from the cpu cooler with some extra ventilation to keep everything cool. I don't care about esthetics at all, only about quality and easy of building. I saw the Phanteks Enthoo luxe at discounted price and was wondering if there's other solution before I pull the trigger.

Thanks all
smile.gif

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
With the kind of money youre throwing around and the fact that you want a large case anddont care about looks, I can only recommend caselabs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did spend a lot of money on this, that I know.

But on the opposite of what you think, I didn't throw it around. I've spent it on what would get me the most performance for my money considering my needs. I do often work on my pc as a sideline so I needed a faster CPU. I could have stuck with the 4790k but it did bottom me often with various lag and hang once in a while from too many things open at once, so I could justify upgrading. The 2 GPU have paid for themselves mining overnight and were thought out choices exactly in that regard.

From a quick look, the caselabs able to take some 420mm rad (SM8 and bigger from the look of it) is starting at 600$.

Now, I might have missed and not realized some advantages to those case, but it doesn't doesn't seems to enable any performance gain or have unique feature that would justify for me the price. I'm not going to use custom loops as the eisbaer 420mm should be enough for my needs so I mostly need a case that'll fit this + the 2 rad from the seahawk, without mnaking my life miserable trying to get the cable around in a clumsy way
smile.gif

But thanks for linking those, I didn't knew they existed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
The X71 and W100 seems to offer many possibilities, just as the 900d. I dislike open case because of all the dust they let settle on the component and cube most likely won't fit, but you still gave me 3 possibilites I had not looked at.

Many thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post

.This just hit the market http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v3000/ its 439 dollars on newegg but its a monster case
Neat case, but clearly in the league of those who are willing to afford spending on quality product that will last. Let's be honest I already had spent more than I wished but every part I choose are expected to bring me the best performance I can get before going in another higher price bracket.

I found a case a few hours ago that should fit the 420mm eisbaer and the 2 rad from the GPU. OK quality without being exceptional, at a very cheap price.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00003076

75$ cad (roughly 60USD) shipped and tax included on amazon.ca. Couldn't pass a case that fitted my need for such a low price and good review on it on newegg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post

When you get all your parts do a build thread on here.
After not receiving the case from Amazon due to dealing with a scammer (tracking wasn't even valid) I made a few phone calls to nearby shop and only found 1 case which wasn't a cube/caselab style that would fit my project. Last parts were coming home today so I needed a case.

So I ended up with a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered glass. They only had 1 and it was gray. I seriously didn't think ending with the only case I had managed to find by myself that would fit, but it seems like I was to get that one.

I'll get to preparing the mobo/cpu/ram/case together at first. I can't stay without my main pc for more than a few minutes, an hour at worst, due to job. So I'll move the ssd/psu and SLI of seahawk when ready to switch. Got my old 750w platinum psu waiting to be put back in (changed it because couldn't bear the Seahawk SLI) as well as my older MSI 980 TI Gaming.

I'll try to post the final build as well since you requested it and have been real helpful while you had no reason to spend time trying to help
smile.gif

Be ready for some of the most aweful cable management you've seen on some high end pc !

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
That's a really nice case with lots of good cable management options built in. you should be just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you were right Zero4549.

Lot of cable management make it pretty simple even for someone with a previous build really aweful:

The result, case not yet closed:

And on the desk, with a quick 1 time try color change to match the MSI seahawk fan color:

I had to get my pc back to a working state to control 5 other from distance quickly, so I couldn't mess with it yet. As you can see the tempered glass sticker wouldn't remove itself and didn't even take time to clean it yet.
I have yet to go and play with overclock in the bios. Only quickly enabled xmp for the ram.

https://valid.x86.fr/qip82h

1 - 11 of 11 Posts