Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... i can't think of a way to avoid the wall of text, so let me start is saying this is NOT a simple problem. If you don't have the knowledge to get deep into troubleshooting or read the wall of text, thx anyway
.

SOOOOOO.... My windows XP install was continually crashing\\BSODing. I got windows 7 home premium and installed it, thinking that it would prove unequvically if my problem was RAM (BSOD were normaly IRQ_Not_Less_Or_Equal_To) or OS related. With a fresh 7 i continued to see problems, so i'm fairly certain the problem was RAM...

Flash forward and i've grabbed 2x2gigs of RAM out of my roommates PC, reinstalled 7, and the crashes have continued. The BSOD's have been DXGMMS1.sys, ATIKMDAG.sys and IRQ not less or equal. Some googling revelaed to me that the DXG and ATIKM message were related to windows incorrectly seeing the vid card as hanging, and restarting as a result. I tried both windows drivers adn ATI drivers to correct the issue, but nothing helped. In a fit of "i haven't gamed in days" rage... i decided to shrink my HD and install XP on a 2nd partition, to see if the issue was just win7 hating on me or not. Windows XP Pro WILL NOT INSTALL. I'm getting a mix of IRQ and "failed interupt" BSOD's during the install, which i know point directly to RAM... problem is i'm still using the known good, working, 2x2 i stole from my roommate. I am not running any OC at all, everything is set to auto, so now i'm stuck scratching my head..

I'm beginning to think my board may have taken a dive, but i'm not 100% sold. I'm not sure if my denial is wishful thinking, or loathing of buying a new board, so i'm turning to my OCN brethren.

Any test you want me to run, ask and i'll do it, any log you want and i'll post it, any further info ask and i'll deliver.

Processor AMD Athalon 2 6000+ BE
Mobo: biostar TF570
Memory: HP Junk 2x2 DDR 800 (i just got my order of patriot 2x2 1066, but am hesitant to install it yet).

Please help me sort through this OCN brother
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on a good way to test the vid card? It's a Saphire HD4870 1g and has shown no outer signs of problems. It hasn't been overheated, it's not OC'd, and i never see any video issues, no artifacts etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
I would use ati tool and test... personally if you think its the video card I would switch it out and see if it continues. If that doesn't stop it then the next step I can think of is to get a new mobo. It sounds like your mobo though but if you can test another gfx card I would do that before returning the mobo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,136 Posts
have you tried to run a live ubuntu os and first do a ram test that is built in. If there is a problem with your video card it will probably quit on you during usage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
First thing that I thought was Video card. However, in my experience a video card issue could also go hand in hand with a psu issue. Example, if your PSU is not providing enough juice then your card (which is one of the most power hungry component) might be putting more strain then your psu can for whatever reason handle.

Not saying your psu isn't enough just saying that it might be defective in someway.

Easiest way to find out which one is which is to swap out the gpu first and see if you still have problems. If you do then you might want to check your psu.

*One more thing, have you ran any diagnostics software on your hard drive? Just to rule that out. The reason I say this is because you can't install xp. Does it hang in the same place every time?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma8750 View Post
have you tried to run a live ubuntu os and first do a ram test that is built in. If there is a problem with your video card it will probably quit on you during usage.
I hadn't thought to try ubuntu, that does sound like a reasonable idea. Is there a built in tool to test RAM with, if not could you point me to one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Light 117 View Post
First thing that I thought was Video card. However, in my experience a video card issue could also go hand in hand with a psu issue. Example, if your PSU is not providing enough juice then your card (which is one of the most power hungry component) might be putting more strain then your psu can for whatever reason handle.

Not saying your psu isn't enough just saying that it might be defective in someway.

Easiest way to find out which one is which is to swap out the gpu first and see if you still have problems. If you do then you might want to check your psu.

*One more thing, have you ran any diagnostics software on your hard drive? Just to rule that out. The reason I say this is because you can't install xp. Does it hang in the same place every time?
XP has hung in 2 different places, and i've seen no abnormal behavior in the HD, including all the backups i made before burning\\installing 7, which have all worked fine, but i'm ok with a diagnostic if you wana point me towards one.

As far as PSU goes, i'm not at all concerned about that. When i was on XP i had no issue pointing towards GPU. I'm able to get COD4 up and running, on max settings, for 10-15 minutes before i BSOD. Since it's not a heat issue im inclined to believe this pretty effectively eliminates the PSU and GPU, since they're both running wide open as soon as i first enter the game.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
1. You could still access your computer with Ubuntu's live CD if you want [doesn't use hard drive, and you could also back up your programs to storage media from this]
2. memtest86+
Comes with Ubuntu, or you can burn it to a CD yourself. (I'm not sure if you can access it from the live CD though).
3. your GPU and/or PSU can still heat up/use more power GRADUALLY as you play games. Don't think that when your temps max they could just stay there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

1. You could still access your computer with Ubuntu's live CD if you want [doesn't use hard drive, and you could also back up your programs to storage media from this]
2. memtest86+
Comes with Ubuntu, or you can burn it to a CD yourself. (I'm not sure if you can access it from the live CD though).
3. your GPU and/or PSU can still heat up/use more power GRADUALLY as you play games. Don't think that when your temps max they could just stay there.

2. -> the stolen\\burrown 2x2 has passed memtest
3.-> i've been monitoring the temps while playing, not just tabbing out to check them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,621 Posts
My guess: motherboard or PSU defective
What is your PSU anyway? [How many watts output]
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: HatesFury

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOOOOO.... i've played for about an hour now without a single incident.... after swapping in a buddys 8600gt... so either the win7 drivers don't like my 4870, or it's toast...

Need some recommendations on a new vid card i guess... $150 MAXIMUM... recommendations please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HatesFury View Post
SOOOOO.... i've played for about an hour now without a single incident.... after swapping in a buddys 8600gt... so either the win7 drivers don't like my 4870, or it's toast...

Need some recommendations on a new vid card i guess... $150 MAXIMUM... recommendations please
Well, i got 3 options for you.

The first and best option would be that you go with the HD5770 for $164 on newegg and free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102864

Looking through this review it beats the 4870 in most tests and believe it or not even the 4890 and the GTX280/285 in others :0

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...review-test/15

The other 2 options would be to either buy a really cheap 9800GTX+ you can find one for as low as 129-135$ FREE SHIPPING:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133246

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130339

Or you could also go with either the slower 5750 which sells at around 140-150$ or the GTS250 which sells at around the same price as the 9800GTX+

The choice is yours, good luck!
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: HatesFury

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thread necro..... complete.

SOOO... update... Not the vid card... i found an old 8600gts, popped it into my rig, and have been monkeying around... I now have Win 7 and XP both up and running in a dual boot setup. Both are still seeing period BSOD. I haven't gone back to my 4870 in XP to test, but first i want it stable, then i'll worry about whether or not my 4870 is toast or not. With the continual problem of random BSOD'd, i'm getting fairly confident the problem is the mobo. Tomorrow i'm probably going to fire up Prine 95 to see if i can induce failure doing only CPU tests, and that i feel should be a good confirmation, but just wanted to check other peoples oppinions before i went forware witha purchase.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top