Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand correctly Linux is a very hands on OS you really have to work at it to get it to work but when you do OMG its like the greatest in the world. <br />
<br />
Here's the problem I am running into when I download drives even after reading the FAQ, and related TXT documents, I understand the concept behind it all its simplicity but, i never can get them to install proper i hit ctrl + alt + F1 to get into the command screen and then I cant reboot into the GUI ubuntu so I searched and no help. I ended up formatting the drive and trying to reinstall with no luck. <br />
<br />
So today I will spend my spare time reading and I will go to the library.<br />
<br />
I like Linux I can clearly see the potential.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>iamme</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">If I understand correctly Linux is a very hands on OS you really have to work at it to get it to work but when you do OMG its like the greatest in the world.<br><br>
Here's the problem I am running into when I download drives even after reading the FAQ, and related TXT documents, I understand the concept behind it all its simplicity but, i never can get them to install proper i hit ctrl + alt + F1 to get into the command screen and then I cant reboot into the GUI ubuntu so I searched and no help. I ended up formatting the drive and trying to reinstall with no luck.<br><br>
So today I will spend my spare time reading and I will go to the library.<br><br>
I like Linux I can clearly see the potential.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Ctrl+Alt+F9 That what it is for me in FreeBSD. If it's not try Ctrl+Alt+F7.<br>
If you switched to runlevel 3 then just type "init 5", without the quotes.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK NOW, I am trying to install SUSE 10.1 for AMD 64 using iso file on my dvd media it installs and then restarts but when i go to boot from hard disk it says that no root is there it just wants me to reinstall over and over its like it isn't installing it onto my hard disk......when the installation completes am i suppose to remove or leave the dvd in the drive is there something i am missing?<br><br><br>
after installation when leaving the dvd in or out and trying to boot from hard disk i get<br><br>
unable to find bootit in the EMBRM partition!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
it should just go through the install step by step in suse. After that you should remove the disk

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe the problem is my dual boot software was still active i formated the drive and i am not doing a clean install of suse wish me luck lol by the end of the night ill have ever distro if this keeps up lol<br />
<br />
<br />
it was the dual boot software its fine now<br />
<br />
<br />
linux is interesting thats for sure!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I found 32 bit SuSE better than 64bit(64 bit still lacks support), but let me know what you think of it please.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welp now the graphics want display proper what command do i enter to run in safe graphics mode from the command line in fail safe mode?<br />
<br />
<br />
Still got this issue suse 10.1 see's my xfx6800xt nvidia card but gives me the xserver is not configured correctly and it boots into the command line how do i get, run, install the default or proper driver so i can use this distro?

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after installing and everything and rebooting i get a blue screen that says<br><br>
Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?<br><br>
< Yes > < No >

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Type "yast" in the command line and then search for xorg and uninstall it then install it again. See if that fixed the problem. You can also search for the nvidia drivers. If you cannot get it through yast then I can post the manual way.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
post the "(EE)" and "(WW)" comments from the log<br>
if its something simple that the defaults do wrong<br>
it will be imposible to fix by reinstallation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts