Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since i'm visiting this forum; I learned that OCing isn't just highering the FSB but also allot of other things, but there are still allot of things I don't get:
1. how do you know the max fsb supported for your ide/ata hardware?
2. when do you know when you have to higher your mb voltages?
3. how can you cool you mb if you complete question nr 2
4. how do you know when you have to raise your memory voltages?
5. how do you know your memory temps?
6. how do you know when you have to raise core voltages or memory voltages?
7. how do you know what the max cpu clock is that your mb supports?

The list will be continued
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by killerfromsky
View Post

Well since i'm visiting this forum; I learned that OCing isn't just highering the FSB but also allot of other things, but there are still allot of things I don't get:
1. how do you know the max fsb supported for your ide/ata hardware?
2. when do you know when you have to higher your mb voltages?
3. how can you cool you mb if you complete question nr 2
4. how do you know when you have to raise your memory voltages?
5. how do you know your memory temps?
6. how do you know when you have to raise core voltages or memory voltages?
7. how do you know what the max cpu clock is that your mb supports?

The list will be continued


1. the max fsb is figured out by your quality of ram. you have to experiment with it and keep on going up and up.

2. you really only need to higher your northbridge voltage if you run into stability issues and other adjustments don't fix it.

3. you cool your motherboard with fans. just get a 80mm fan and engineer it to blow on your northbridge heatsink

4. you have to raise your memory voltages when you become unstable. but most memory you just want to run it at max voltage on your motherboard because it'll be warranted by your RAM company. (this is only the case on certain brands and IC's of ram, TCCD max is 2.8v whereas BH-5 can support nearly 4v)

5. memory temps don't matter. you tell the temp by either touching the integrated heatsinks or hovering your hand over it to see if its hot or cold. blow a fan on it and it'll be fine if you're running something like BH-5. if you're running lower voltage memory it doesn't require active cooling.

6. you have to raise your voltage on anything when you get instability in your system. it gives your CPU/memory that extra umph to get the information through. but be careful because on your CPU you might fry it if you go over certain voltage/temps.

7. pretty much your motherboard will go as high as you can get it. AMD procs usually go to hell around 3 GHz, so...

next question?

also check out http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=43033 for your motherboard. very good website.

my first rig was almost identical to yours. nice start to overclocking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,297 Posts
1. Don't agree with what mudd says - max FSB is what your CPU is capable of with volts which don't give too high temps, and which is bootable by your motherboard - RAM can be put on a divider.

2. If you feel your CPU should be stable but its not you up them :0

3. If its getting too hot you could stick a fan over it, manually increase chipset fan speed or reseat chipset fan and VRM heatsinks with better thermal paste


4. If it fails MemTest or your CPU is unstable in Windows (and it passes and is stable with the memory on a divider) then you need to raise voltages and/or loosen timings

5. As long as you stay within 5% or so of the guidelines you will be fine and won't have to worry about temps


6. You have to raise them when you fail SP2004 (or Prime95) or when your system is unstable


7. By seeing what the highest number you can put into the FSB box in your BIOS is - it normally tells you the max number


HTH
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Max FSB is mainly a result of what your motherboard chipset can handle. CPU does have an effect as well. Memory has nothing to really to do with max FSB.

Here's background on core voltage and what it does:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384756
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Max FSB is mainly a result of what your motherboard chipset can handle. CPU does have an effect as well. Memory has nothing to really to do with max FSB.

Here's background on core voltage and what it does:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384756

and how do you figure? FSB = how fast your memory runs on your motherboard. how many memory modules can you find that run DDR700?

now if he's talking about his HTT settings, then thats a different story. it does depend on what your motherboard can handle and the memory controller on your proc to an extent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the all :


8. but I've seen a tut on the site calculating the max fsb that your hard disk allows, if you get over the max fsb, you prob will loose data?

to posser:
7. my mb gives a max fsb of 280
and a max multipier of does that mean I can (with decent cooling+voltages) set my cpu on 280x11=3080MHz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by mudd
View Post

1. the max fsb is figured out by your quality of ram. you have to experiment with it and keep on going up and up.

2. you really only need to higher your northbridge voltage if you run into stability issues and other adjustments don't fix it.

3. you cool your motherboard with fans. just get a 80mm fan and engineer it to blow on your northbridge heatsink

4. you have to raise your memory voltages when you become unstable. but most memory you just want to run it at max voltage on your motherboard because it'll be warranted by your RAM company. (this is only the case on certain brands and IC's of ram, TCCD max is 2.8v whereas BH-5 can support nearly 4v)

5. memory temps don't matter. you tell the temp by either touching the integrated heatsinks or hovering your hand over it to see if its hot or cold. blow a fan on it and it'll be fine if you're running something like BH-5. if you're running lower voltage memory it doesn't require active cooling.

6. you have to raise your voltage on anything when you get instability in your system. it gives your CPU/memory that extra umph to get the information through. but be careful because on your CPU you might fry it if you go over certain voltage/temps.

7. pretty much your motherboard will go as high as you can get it. AMD procs usually go to hell around 3 GHz, so...

next question?

also check out http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=43033 for your motherboard. very good website.

my first rig was almost identical to yours. nice start to overclocking.

6. but how do you know wich exact component? just trying them out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,192 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by killerfromsky
View Post

7. my mb gives a max fsb of 280
and a max multipier of does that mean I can (with decent cooling+voltages) set my cpu on 280x11=3080MHz?

YEA!

(ok it was to posser but w/e)
oh yea the cpu supports x11?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sin100
View Post

YEA!

(ok it was to posser but w/e)
oh yea the cpu supports x11?

yes

9. when do I exactly know when I have to raise mb voltages?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by mudd
View Post

3. you cool your motherboard with fans. just get a 80mm fan and engineer it to blow on your northbridge heatsink.

10. when do you know when your mb is to hot? and is it only the nordbridge that can get hot?

11. My ht link is around 700, what happens if I raise that? where will I get higher temps or what speeds will I get?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,297 Posts
Quote:


and how do you figure? FSB = how fast your memory runs on your motherboard. how many memory modules can you find that run DDR700?

None. How many dividers can I find - plenty


Quote:


9. when do I exactly know when I have to raise mb voltages?

When your PC is unstable and when raising the CPU and RAM voltages doesn't do anything


Quote:


10. when do you know when your mb is to hot? and is it only the nordbridge that can get hot?

11. My ht link is around 700, what happens if I raise that? where will I get higher temps or what speeds will I get?

10. Its too hot when it goes over about 55C. They should have temp sensors in.

11. The closer to 1000 the HTT link the better, but it must be below 1080 or else your system will not be stable. Just keep it below 1000 and forget about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by prosser13
View Post

10. Its too hot when it goes over about 55C. They should have temp sensors in.

11. The closer to 1000 the HTT link the better, but it must be below 1080 or else your system will not be stable. Just keep it below 1000 and forget about it

10. is the nortbridge temp=mb temp? cuz the only temp monitors I have in speedfan are hd's cores, temp2=cpu, temp1=mb according to other programs

11. ok i'll try that


new one:
12. so all you guys are saying I should test wich voltage I have to up by upping them all at a time?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,192 Posts
mate, basically, have your CPU on stock! voltages when you start overclocking, you will get to a point when say windows keeps crashing when you load into it, its asking for more volts so up it a little then it will be stable hopefully, they keep going, but not too much volts remember, every computer / setup is different and you need to find that out, just dont pump loads of volts into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sin100
View Post

mate, basically, have your CPU on stock! voltages when you start overclocking, you will get to a point when say windows keeps crashing when you load into it, its asking for more volts so up it a little then it will be stable hopefully, they keep going, but not too much volts remember, every computer / setup is different and you need to find that out, just dont pump loads of volts into it.

ok, thx
btw, I just ran 'stable' on 2.8ghz

superpi up to 4m
and I was able to run aquamark;
orthos ended after 4 sec

I prob need to higher the voltage but I'm still on stock cooler so I only was able to up them a little bit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,297 Posts
Quote:


12. so all you guys are saying I should test wich voltage I have to up by upping them all at a time?

Yep, but watch your temps using Core Temp - don't let them go within about 4 degrees of your TCase max, and also its not advised to go more than about 15% over stock volts.

Quote:


13. is there a little formula to figur out how much vcore you have to up for each 100mhz or something like that?

Nope. Each processor and each system is completely unique so its whatever you find best.

Quote:


btw, I just ran 'stable' on 2.8ghz...orthos ended after 4 sec

Not stable, don't even use failed/ended and stable in the same paragraph lol
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top