Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there much of a difference between the AMD 64+ 3200+ Venice cores and the Winchester? Am I better off sticking with my 3200+ or going with a Opteron 144?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The 144 is a 9x and the core stepping is .. what ever it is and how good it OC's, who knows for sure. If you want good economical.. the 3200+ with a 10x but the best lately is the SanDiego 3700+

• Rep+
Reactions: Snerp

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if there was a way to unlock the 144 to 10x it would basically own for the price. Is there a way to unlock it?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
NO known methiod of unlocking any Optys.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I know I can over clock my A64 3200+ like crazy. I'm getting 2.5Ghz with 1.40 Vcore watercooled. Would I notice a big difference between my chip and one of the newer chips like the Opteron or the San Diego?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have an answer? I would love to get a 3700 SD pinned down if it will be nice

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

So I know I can over clock my A64 3200+ like crazy. I'm getting 2.5Ghz with 1.40 Vcore watercooled. Would I notice a big difference between my chip and one of the newer chips like the Opteron or the San Diego?

It depends on the apps that you're running. Benchmarks would take a boost from increased clock speeds. Gaming performance wouldn't in general. Depends on the res and the game, but if you're playing new games at 1024x768 or above I doubt you'd see more that a couple of FPS difference with another ~300Mhz and the increased L2 cache.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
You should be able to get more out of that 3200+ with the WCing

I'd look for more OC in that chip... you should do well. Up the vcore to about 1.5-1.6v and have at it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.