Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a proper second monitor (the one from my last attempt was just a bad monitor) and since I'm on Arch now, I figure I might as well set up everything properly.

Here are the issues I'm having...

The first issue is I want some programs to open in the first monitor. Firefox and blender are the two big ones. These are programs that require a lot of interaction.

Some programs I want to open in the second monitor to the right. Thunderbird, exaile, pidgin... These don't require that much interaction but would be great to get to in a hurry.

Then the third thing is I want some programs to only open in one monitor. Two examples of this would be Urban Terror and Blender. Both open spanned. Blender isn't that bad since I can move the window around. Urban Terror is an issue because resizing the window doesn't really work. I just want it full screen in one monitor.

Got the last part fixed. I just made a bash script that looks like this:

Code:
Code:
#! /bin/bash
export SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=0
urbanterror

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Are you using any kind of DE?

With KDE and TwinView, apps were smart enouh to remember on what desktop and monitor they were opened.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Twinview has the problem where some programs maximize across both screens. I don't exactly remember if it's certain xorg configs or not, but I've suffered from it before too. What I did to remedy it was to make my xorg config with one monitor and then turn on twinview. Unfortunately this doesn't auto-turn on twinview, and there are apps that can do that, but it does solve the solution over here.

Basically go to the nvidia console and disable the other monitor and then have your xorg.conf saved. Idk, that or use the standard nvidia-xconfig settings (single monitor output).

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found sort of a solution. Using compiz, I can set it to open windows over multiple outputs and the selection is by the focused screen. So if I have pidgin open in my right window, I can click on thunderbird and it will open there.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
Greetz
Seeing you are using Gnome, it might be helpful to run

"gksudo nvidia-settings"

Look under the second menuitem, "X Server Display Configuration" and below "Model" there is a "configure" radio button where "Twinview" can be selected. Once selected, further dialogue options open up and you can control them there and then select "Save to X configuration file" (the reason you ran as root) and then you can see what metamodes were added to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". This can help you see what is possible so if you like more manual control you can easier learn to control options directly.

It is a bit of a shortcut, but it works.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
People suggest you run urban terror in a second instance of X to get the best interaction with it. I just found that the game wasn't worth it after having to jump through a hoop like that to get it to play nice and I think they're trying to dump all of their open code so that they can become a more closed game.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

People suggest you run urban terror in a second instance of X to get the best interaction with it. I just found that the game wasn't worth it after having to jump through a hoop like that to get it to play nice and I think they're trying to dump all of their open code so that they can become a more closed game.

Well Urt 4.1 works flawlessly on my system now. What I learned was that the 32bit builds run better, something to do with the original quake engine not being optimized properly.

http://www.www0.org/w/Optimized_exec...engine_for_urt

That's what I use now and it runs pretty smooth. The problem with Q3 itself though is it can't do SMP very well and is mainly a cpu intensive game. All the stuff added with Urt pushes the engine a lot, the 4.2 Alpha actually gets better FPS. You can run it in a separate X too, that was another one of their suggestions. I've just found that running the 32bit executable works best on something like Arch where on my Debian system both the 32bit and 64bit preform roughly the same.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It runs fine when I export it to a single head. I really need three monitors so my crosshair will be in the middle

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
LOL, I think that's a goal we all want. =)

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
Greetz
I don't know for certain about Urban Terror but it should be similar seeing it's Q3 based. I am an avid Q3 player and until my CRT fried Horiz. I was running my Viewsonic A91f+ along with a 27inch LCD in Twinview. I only wanted Q3 (I use IoQuake3 from Icculus) to run on just the CRT so I could use 125Hz Vert Refresh to match my "maxfps=125" for extremely fast response. So using nvidia-settings I set the CRT as Primary (on the left in my case) and the LCD as Secondary on the right. All I had to do was hit "Disable" button for the LCD in nvidia-settings and Q3 ran only on the Primary, the CRT. Perfect!

PS I can't recall if I turned the power off on the LCD so I wouldn't be bothered by the light or if I had to, to prevent TwinView from detecting it. Whatever, it worked. Anybody know where I can get an NEC 22" CRT. like a FP1350 reasonable?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts