Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gone game mostly at 1920x1080 so figured this card is good enough.

Memory clocks very well, the core oc a disappointment.

Don't know if the i3 cpu gone hold me back much?

Allways the lure of an upgrade in the near future. (i5-4690K)

The card is very silent and plays my games good enough, so all in all satisfied.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks like a good card, but I really prefer getting better used hardware. Maybe that's just me, but you could get an r9 290x for a similar price, granted probably only the reference cooler. Also i'd say the i3 is probably holding you back, not too familiar on the 380 so hard for me to say, but for most games i'd get an i5 even if it's an old sandy bridge i5. Will definitely perform better, and the sandy bridges overclock like mad so they still compare to the newest i5s.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow you got a bad overclocker... My 285 does 1100 with core voltage at +45 and power limit at 20% altough my ram is at 1500. I will post some benchmarks once i get home.
Try lowering vram and pushing the core up higher. Also mind the VRM temps you shoul not go over 90

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both you for replys.

Will try some more testing, only had the card for 2 days.

I had x99 system with MSI gtx 970, fans error so got a refund. Then a asus r9 290, very noisy. Sold the hole system.

Played with some AMD APU's and now this system. I'm always in up/down grade modus. Get bored easy
smile.gif

The hardest test so far to pass is final fantasy benchmark at extreme full settings.

Since I a have z97 mb think a lga1150 cpu as upgrade. The thought was to wait when everybody was in skylake upgrade modus.

Pick up used a i5 or i7 cpu then. Would like to see som benchmarks with a 285/380 on a i5 cpu. Thanks for your time.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Try lowering vram and pushing the core up higher
Thanks for the tip.
thumb.gif
I got more than I hoped for.

My new motto: Don't be hasty and try again if failure.

There are no vrm monitoring in Ab as I can see.

Loaded up on coffee and started a get as most speed as possible session.

Memory to stock (1425) and started up the core 10 Mhz at the time and run some benchmarks.

Stopped at core 1100. Final fantasy crashed at 1110, unigine heaven at 1115.

Then to get as much memory bandwith as possible. Well, to day 1725MHz was stable with more than 1060 core.

I was not good enough yesterday or some kind of burn in effect on the card?

Maybe the memory will go higher, will save any more tinkering to later.

A happy camper now. Now to what the card really are for, enjoy games, not fps, he,he

BioShock Infinite

Think I need a new cpu, maybe help with minimum FPS?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ok so with:
Core Voltage: +45
Power Limit: +20
Core Clock: 1100
Mem Clock: 1500

After 15 min of heaven my VRM temps on my Saphire Dual-X get to about 87-90 C (with the side panel on i think they are a bit lower because of the airflow) the thing is that those are about as high as I would recomend somone to go. (tehnicaly the caps are rated for 105C but for every 10C the lifespan ~doubles.)
So considering you don't have an IR thermometer to check I would recomend you to lower the voltage a bit. Try and play around with it and see if you can lower the mem clock a bit and lower the voltage.
Or just leave it like that, what do I know
thumb.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,thanks. Will run the card as it is now. Gone try more tweaking later on.

The voltage are lower during surfing etc so I take my chance.

Got 2 years warrenty. On the card box it says OC edition so I take them on their word.
biggrin.gif

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
You have an 1150 board so I think you should go for a 4690k

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, just looked over my budget, if i'm disciplined could squeeze a new 4690k and cooler in a 14 days time.

The urge to upgrade will only get stronger, must.... replace.... inferior.... nogood i3 cpu
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
A 4690K with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlberg View Post

Yeah, just looked over my budget, if i'm disciplined could squeeze a new 4690k and cooler in a 14 days time.

The urge to upgrade will only get stronger, must.... replace.... inferior.... nogood i3 cpu
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
right on

·
Registered
115 Posts
My whole system is so noisy that I just stopped caring lol. But if that's the case then a 290x would be a bit pricier as you'd have to go for a non reference cooler, or get something aftermarket. You should definitely go for the 4690k when you can; it's a quality CPU that should last you a while especially after an overclock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update for future reference.

CPU's in some games

Will hold the 4690k buy and rater do a full skylake upgrade in October if all goes after plan. The i3 cpu are fine for midlowend card as 380 in my games for 3 months more.

Final clocks GPU:

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,189 Posts
I will be getting a R9 285 soon, I can try it with my 4690K if you want, just let me know which benchmarks you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be very nice, see if a real quad cpu do something to the r285/380.

Benchmark's:

- BioShock Infinite
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward
- Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

If You could use the same settings as in previous posts in this tread.

Thank You for your time!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I own BioShock Infinite, the rest are free download. Feel free to use 3dmark or other demo/benchmarks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did not ran MSI Kombustor 3 very long but it ran fine with these clocks:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Run a 3Dmark standard, wanna see your score if you can.

Also drop msi afterburner and install trixxx.

Push the voltage even further and get even more core clock, if your temps stay stable.

Got issue's with the noise = headphone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an i5 4690s (performance between 4460 & 4690) and the Saphire 380 (my gtx960 died last week) i'm getting 50fps in heaven extreme preset. Running @ 1060/1625 without overvolting. Might try to get near your clocks and test again later.

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk

Edit: i'm unable to Change the voltage settings. it's disabled with afterburner and strixx aswell, maybe not working with win10preview.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After the catalyst 15.7 drivers had to downclock:

3dmark thinks I got a 390 not 380, sysinfo update needed.

Think my core is weak. Don't scale well with more voltage.

I'm torn between upgrade now 4690K/hs/f /(362Dollars) or skylake later(more than 1000dollars). I really don't need skylake but want it bad
biggrin.gif

Seems a i5 are enough to feed the 285/300 for some nice framerates.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts