Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already made a post about this overclock but I decided to make a new one since my issues have changed a bit. These are all new parts, just arrived today.

I'm trying to get my i7 920 D0 to 4GHz and IntelBurnTest stable... after many failed attemps at 19x,20x, and 21x i'm starting to believe something is faulty.

I've tried following this guide (http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...7-920-4-a.html) and i've set the exact same settings as him. It fails on the 2nd test of IntelBurnTest (the results don't match). I also tried giving some extra voltage across everything (2 knotches above the guide), still the same issue.

Current settings:
IOH/ICH = 1.2
VDIMM = 1.66
CPU PLL = 1.88
QPI/Uncore = 1.35
CPU = 1.29 (i've tried up to 1.36, errors at the exact same time)
BCLK = 190
Multi = 21x
Ram is at 1500(ish) at 8-8-8-21 and has proven stable at 2000 8-8-8-21 in memtest v4.0.
(What speed should I set QPI and Uncore too?)

Turbo/SpeedStep/C1E/TM all disabled.

I'm stuck and i'm pretty sure I got a dud board...
LL

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
Keep QPI speed at 18x
set your uncore speed to be exactly twice that of your memory speed

Are you getting much voltage fluctuation when loading?

I might try giving the memory a reseat.

Just to rule memory out of the equation, I'd drop it down to 1066 speed (and uncore twice that) to be sure it's something else.

Have you tried running LinX? It could just be an ITB thing.

Do you have a load-line calibration option? it will disable the 130watt cap for the CPU. When you hit the 130watt cap it will cycle rapidly between 20x and 21x to compensate, when my system was going that it was all kinds of unstable until I asked for help on it and that was suggested.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I posted this in your other thread, but set your Uncore to double whatever your memory speed is, and set your QPI to double your Uncore.

Also, disable Windows restarts on error (in control panel somewhere) and use Prime95 for initial stressing, NOT LinX or IBT. Those programs don't give clear cut errors like Prime95, which makes the issues easier to detect. If you can run Prime95 stable for a good while, then further test with LinX or IBT.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LinX failed at the same point as well, however I changed IOH/ICH from 1.2 to 1.24, and it seems to be stable now. Trying 25 passes now..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here
View Post

I posted this in your other thread, but set your Uncore to double whatever your memory speed is, and set your QPI to double your Uncore.

Thanks, my BIOs don't have 16x and 8x settings.. that makes much more sense to me.

EDIT: I'm unable to set my QPI to double my Uncore. My BIOs just don't have the setting. It would be 6.4K, but the closest I have to that is 7.2K. Should I just set it to 7.2K?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

LinX failed at the same point as well, however I changed IOH/ICH from 1.2 to 1.24, and it seems to be stable now. Trying 25 passes now..

Thanks, my BIOs don't have 16x and 8x settings.. that makes much more sense to me.

EDIT: I'm unable to set my QPI to double my Uncore. My BIOs just don't have the setting. It would be 6.4K, but the closest I have to that is 7.2K. Should I just set it to 7.2K?

Just leave your QPI at x18, so it should be at 3420.

And you're insistent on using a stress test software that doesn't tell you whats wrong when something goes wrong huh? :swearing:

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

What's the next lowest QPI setting?

And you're insistent on using a stress test software that doesn't tell you whats wrong when something goes wrong huh? :swearing:

I'm so close to stable, and i've narrowed it down to two BIOs settings. I'll post next lowest QPI in about 2 minutes, restarting now.

EDIT: Next lowest is 4812 MT/s, and i'm 99.9% sure that it was the ICH voltage causing the unstability. I've reset IOH down to 1.2 (as the guide recommends), and left ICH at 1.24 (up from recommended 1.2). CPU Volt is at 1.33v, its unstable at 1.325. Temps are around 65C on linX load.

Still.. 1.33v seems pretty high for 4GHz on a D0. It doesn't bother me to much though, must just be a bad chip.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

I edited my last post. Keep QPI at x18, so you should have an option for 3420 MT/s.

Nope, 4.8k MT/s and 7.2 MT/s, theres higher than that too. Rampage II Extreme...... fail.

Passed 5 linX tests at 7.2 MT/s though, which is what one of the guides I read told me to set it at.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Nope, 4.8k MT/s and 7.2 MT/s, theres higher than that too. Rampage II Extreme...... fail.

Passed 5 linX tests at 7.2 MT/s though, which is what one of the guides I read told me to set it at.

Aren't you using a 190 BCLK?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

View Post

Aren't you using a 190 BCLK?

I'm actually at 200x20 now, as I can't get 19x and 21x to be stable at 4GHz for an extended period. Both fail after about 10-15 minutes, at the same voltages i'm at right now. 20 seems like my best bet, which is odd because most experience the exact opposite.

Also.. It doesn't seem like DDR3 2000 is doable. The settings i'm at now are passing 5 tests of LinX, at 1600mhz ram. I set my ram to 2000mhz, set the voltage to 1.66 and set QPI/DRAM to 1.55 for testing. (mobo recommends 1.53 for DDR3 2000). Fails after 10 seconds of LinX. I ran the ram through MemTest for 3 passes at DDR3 2000 with 0 errors. So either something isn't getting enough voltage on the mobo, or my mobo just can't handle this ram with the CPU overclock.

I might send this ram back and grab some DDR3 1600 and be finished with my OC.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am not sure why you even touched the other settings, overlocking an i7 920 is all about 2 voltages settings, vcore, and qpi pll (sometimes vtt depending on ram).

What is your QPI PLL vcore, if that is auto or untouched bump it one notch.

Current settings:
IOH/ICH = 1.2 <--- Should be auto.
VDIMM = 1.66
CPU PLL = 1.88 <--- Should be auto.
QPI/Uncore = 1.35
CPU = 1.29 (i've tried up to 1.36, errors at the exact same time)
BCLK = 190
Multi = 21x

My settings for 4.0 GHz. (191 x 21)
vcore 1.26
dram 1.65
vtt 1.35
qpi pll 1.15

1 - 14 of 14 Posts