Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, first of all i'm new here and i'm a happy owner of a Intel i5 750 on a Asus p7p55d LE, 4gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz comp.

I am pretty new to overclocking, but got quite some knowledge of hardware in general, so i'm not a newb.. Now to the point:

I oc'd my i5 750 to 4ghz yesterday, and ran Orthos stress-test.. Temps went up to between 75 and 80 degrees on full load, idle is about ~45 degrees. I am using a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU fan. I will buy a Corsair h50 somewhere next week, which would push my temps down by quite a bit..

The thing i am wondering about, am i fine/save with temps of about ~45c Idle and ~75/80c Full load, or should i clock a little less.. to 3,8gz perhaps.. so my temps would lower a little?

This question might have been asked a couple times before, but i am kind of new to this bussiness, and i thought this would be the place to be to put my question

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Rck

·
Registered
524 Posts
You should be fine. If it passes 25x Linx (never used Orthos, so I can't comment on it) without going over ~85C, you should not have to worry about temperature.

If you start getting thermal errors, you will know.

The good news is that you will likely see temperatures of 10C or more lower during normal use at full load. Stress testing programs are exactly that - they are designed to hit your hardware harder than anything you would normally do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is a bit high IMO, but if you're getting a H50 soon, then for normal use it'll be fine as long as it's stable. I take it you're not running full load 24/7 anyway.

If you run it like this for a few years, then you can start to worry bout degrading your chip.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
welcome to OCN... nice overclock...

you should fill out your system details in User cp w/ ur hardware... would be alot easier for people to give you easy help and solutions...

I doubt ur processor sees the temps that a stress test puts on it... the idle and load seem a bit high but its reasonable... have you tried backing off the voltage a bit to see if its stable with a little less? besides that youd prob want to think about lapping ur heatsink and applying new thermal paste

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459
View Post

welcome to OCN... nice overclock...

you should fill out your system details in User cp w/ ur hardware... would be alot easier for people to give you easy help and solutions...

I doubt ur processor sees the temps that a stress test puts on it... the idle and load seem a bit high but its reasonable... have you tried backing off the voltage a bit to see if its stable with a little less? besides that youd prob want to think about lapping ur heatsink and applying new thermal paste

Thanks =) I will update my details in a few minutes, havent tried anything with the Vcore yet.. Running p7p55d LE, which adjusts vcore by itself.. i just changed the BCLK Freq to 200mhz, been a bit carefull with Vcore etc.. since i am quite new to this.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rck1984
View Post

Thanks =) I will update my details in a few minutes, havent tried anything with the Vcore yet.. Running p7p55d deluxe, which adjusts vcore by itself.. i just changed the BCLK Freq to 200mhz, been a bit carefull with Vcore etc.. since i am quite new to this.

You do not want to let the motherboard decide what your vcore should be when overclocking. It will overvolt it like crazy because it doesn't understand what is actually going on and will simply see there is suddenly a huge demand for power when it doesn't actually need to give that much voltage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just manually set your voltage to what you know is stable. After that, move it down 1 increment and retest. Keep doing this until you find the system is not stable, then increment it back up one and call it a day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rck1984
View Post

After a day of trying, testing and improving airflow in my case..
My temps are about ~35c on idle and between 67c and 70c on max load after a half an hour Prime95.

Are these temps fine, or should i clock less till i have my Corsair H50?

@ 3.8ghz, 1,27Vcore at this moment.

Don't worry about it, if you're getting that new cooler soon then it won't be long until you can rock 4.0 as cool as a cat

·
Registered
190 Posts
lol I dunno, I mean I shoot for ambient and with my TRUE i'm idling about 8-9c above ambient. My next project is to lap it when I get some free time on my hands(this never happens lol). Ideally though if I were you once I got that new cooler I would like to overclock it up to as far as I felt comfortable, personally I wouldn't want to run a 70c overclock daily, but it's really up to you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moocha88
View Post

lol I dunno, I mean I shoot for ambient and with my TRUE i'm idling about 8-9c above ambient. My next project is to lap it when I get some free time on my hands(this never happens lol). Ideally though if I were you once I got that new cooler I would like to overclock it up to as far as I felt comfortable, personally I wouldn't want to run a 70c overclock daily, but it's really up to you.

Well, these temps of ~70c are on max load, while gaming i wont ever reach these temps in theory.. As said ill go and get Corsair h50 somewhere next week.. i guess i stick with this till next week, and then lift it to 4.0ghz or something, which shouldnt be a problem temp wise with the h50 i guess..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you upgrade to Corsair H50 yet?
I'd like to know how much improvement in your temperature.
I am aiming for this processor too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts