Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Max! (no internet, posting for him) says he feels no difference with his ssd compared to a "normal" hard drive. I looked and I felt the same way, so after awhile of seeing this slow loading, I decided to have him run HDTune to see. This is the results:

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong. He has 14.9 out of 59.5gb free, and I've disable as many "fetch"s (superfetch, prefetch) as multiple guides online tell me. Granted he was running a few programs at the time, but even still, there seems to be no difference in speed. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Depending on how his drives are set up (or if it's a single drive only), and what programs/processes are running in the background, the graph can sometimes skip around a bit - although it shouldn't be that erratic...

Assuming your friend did a proper clean install of Windows 7, with AHCI mode set in the BIOS, then the performance shouldn't be so low. If that's not the case, it's the first recommendation I'd make.

From there, you can check out the OCZ guide on SSD tweaks and see how that fares:

Quote:

·
Registered
220 Posts
The peak throughput is so low it would seem like either the bus is saturated or that SSD is bad. I doubt the bus is saturated...

I read a thread on this forum a few weeks ago where DuckieHo commented frequent dips can be caused by polling then the OP found it was caused by HWMonitor

I would agree with sn0man, unless you know Max! made the right steps to begin with it may be best to tell him to start from the beginning. AHCI is reported to increase performance significantly though I don't know if just AHCI is going to be the cure for what ails this drive.

On top of all of the other tweaks being suggested I'd definitely make sure indexing is off and write caching is on.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+rep

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
Assuming your friend did a proper clean install of Windows 7, with AHCI mode set in the BIOS, then the performance shouldn't be so low. If that's not the case, it's the first recommendation I'd make.

From there, you can check out the OCZ guide on SSD tweaks and see how that fares:

Quote:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...mp-Utilities-*
I wasn't there at the time, so I bet he is running IDE mode, but will check with him. Also, thank you for the link, it provides way more information than google links did; totally forgot about pagefile!
Will talk to him tomorrow and see about these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskaryo View Post
I read a thread on this forum a few weeks ago where DuckieHo commented frequent dips can be caused by polling then the OP found it was caused by HWMonitor
I saw this too, it was quite odd. He runs either coretemp and/or speedfan, but I'll tell him to quit them and re-run it.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Hello mate, I'll just add that I've noticed these particular drives (Kingston V) do degrade very fast: since they don't have TRIM or any type of garbage collection their performance plummets once all the cells in the flash have been used at least once.
Try the tweaks on the OCZ forum, but normally Windows 7 did all those things for you (alignment, disabling all types of fetch, indexing, etc) so there can't be any performance to be gained except by activating AHCI.
In the end if AHCI doesn't solve your issue try a secure erase or a low level format - this puts the SSD in "new" state and it should perform very well until it fills up again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I followed the steps on the OCZ site and everything is much faster. HDTune went to about ~109 read max.

Then he told me he wanted to reinstall anyway, so I did, enabling AHCI mode first and I got everything installed, tweaked, and had nothing on start up, just fresh install with ssd tweaks, restarted, ran HDTune and returned no different, about ~109 read again. A little disappointing still, and the graph was a bit sketchy still, though not as bad as before.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes you got something wrong i get way higher than that.It could be a setting in the bios are maybe you need to make sure the sata cables are plugged in all the way.One other thing try changing the sata cables and dee if that helps any.I run Perfect Disk on mine and ive had no problems with mine so far.Let me know if that helps if not let me know.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well for his setup he has he Corsair Obsidian 800D case, so he has the tiny drive plugged into his hot-swap bay, then using the sata cable that came with the case as the connection. I'll try just plugging it directly though, or other variations, and take a look in his BIOS. He has a EVGA x3 SLI or something, if it matters.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
FYI, I have read that some folks did have issues with SSD's being connected in the 2nd and 4th slots (from the top) on the 800D backplane, something you may want to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts