Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a software that can compress MP3 files so I can put them into my phone? (ultimately, have more space on my phone)

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
MP3's are already pretty compressed. You can re-encode or transcode to a lower bitrate, but the space savings vs. quality at that level isn't really worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-bro View Post
MP3's are already pretty compressed. You can re-encode or transcode to a lower bitrate, but the space savings vs. quality at that level isn't really worth it.
Yeah, MP3's are already a loss codec, meaning they strip out a lot of sound already. In theory you shouldn't notice the difference but it does remove a lot of sound if you know your music. Once you get to bit rates below 192 things get even more messy, especially when you either push the volume or play it on crappy hardware (like a phone). Now if you don't care about the quality you can always transcode to 92kbps or something but your only going to gain maybe a meg or two as a 192kbps song will roughly be a meg per minute (maybe less). I'd say your better off just taking a part of the song, or mixing it (if you want to go even that far).

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...Okay thanks a lot guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts