Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt Realize you could do this, well I didnt really try to but it sounds like a neat little project to try out on my ps3. I am trying to find some good articles to post on here for news, if you guys can help me out because like I said before I have never posted in the news section before, so I am still learning the tricks of the trade as to speak, but I found this interesting so check it out. ALL this news I am finding is all new and posted, it might of been old way before I dont know but what I find is new you can check the date of the threat in the source link, I know it says yellow dog linux is old but the news is susposed to be up to date, so dont be chewing me out about how it is old news please.

SOURCE->http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../03/08/2329230

YELLOW DOG LINUX 5.0
SOURCE ->ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowd...061208-PS3.iso

Quote:

"The PlayStation 3 has recently seen an explosion of releases of emulators and games for the Yellow Dog Linux distro for PS3; once you have installed Yellow Dog Linux you then have the ability to try out MAME, SNES, Amiga, Dos, Commodore and Atari emulators (that's the tip of the iceberg) and such games as Quake 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen 2 and Alephone. Time to start installing Linux on your PS3?"

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
So it can do everything my iPod Touch can? (Well, not Duke Nukem
)

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
This is cool, but isn't this promoting illegal activities? It's not just for homebrew so isn't this against the TOS to post?

I'm not sure but it seems like it. Just letting you know because you seem interested in posting news but if it's against the rules you haven't seem to have read them. Just looking out for you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the terms but I didnt see anything about what was wrong with what I posted. I dont see how this is promoting illegal activities, what is so wrong with putting linux onto your ps3, and if you read the terms you would see that you are not allowed to post external links onto your signature or profile either, not trying to be a smartass, but if that is what it means then I am just pointing it out, but if it doesnt then please correct me.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
There's nothing wrong with putting Yellow Dog on it, but the first article talks about emulation and games, meaning ROMs, which is illegal unless you own the original game.

I was just asking because it seems like promotion of ROMs and I'm not sure if it's allowed here or not. Could cause problems unless I read the article wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

There's nothing wrong with putting Yellow Dog on it, but the first article talks about emulation and games, meaning ROMs, which is illegal unless you own the original game.

I was just asking because it seems like promotion of ROMs and I'm not sure if it's allowed here or not. Could cause problems unless I read the article wrong.

I'm pretty sure the discussion of the usage of ROMs is OK, but the discussion of ways to obtain ROMs isn't.

And most ROMs are made of "dead" games that you can't find on sale, unless it's second-hand, where the developing companies/console manufacturers/etc. won't see a single penny anyway.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which if that is the case none of the articles I posted said anything about how to obtain them, I was just pointing out that you can put yellow dog linux onto your ps3 and access emulators, all I was posting about, not suggesting anyone go do it or go download any roms or anything for that matter.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtn400
View Post

I'm pretty sure the discussion of the usage of ROMs is OK, but the discussion of ways to obtain ROMs isn't.

And most ROMs are made of "dead" games that you can't find on sale, unless it's second-hand, where the developing companies/console manufacturers/etc. won't see a single penny anyway.

ah yes, i believe the term is abandonware. still the company can legally sue you if they did renew the copyright, but most companies don't.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by venom55520 View Post
ah yes, i believe the term is abandonware. still the company can legally sue you if they did renew the copyright, but most companies don't.
That's what it's called.

I knew it was *something*ware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
So the PS3 might actually have some games worth playing after all

Lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bedrockhorror View Post
that would definately suck if there copyright extension wore out and they renewed it and found out you downloaded it or whatever illegally and u had to go to jail or pay a big fine, man what would people do?

...that is a monster of a run on sentence. periods are your friends.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

its not about how many periods I put into my sentence but how many words it takes to make my sentence complete, this is not english class buddy.
Read this:

Quote:
You are EXPECTED to:
  • Edit your posts for spelling and grammar. Overclock.net's usability depends on this.
    • Use capitalization
    • No excessive Internet jargon
    • Use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

and why dont you go read the proper definition of a sentence and if u can tell me how many words are in a sentence then you can correct mine.
That makes no sense at all. The poster above stated to write a proper sentence. You use a comma in place of a period, and you don't use a comma when you should.

The reason he said to write a proper sentence was because your post that he replied to was three sentences put into one.

This site relies on people taking the five seconds it takes to check over a post before replying. It's not hard, so get used to it because it's part of the rules and it helps everyone else but writing properly and not be confusing.

Quote:

That would definitely suck if their copyright extension wore out and they renewed it, and found out you downloaded it or whatever illegally. And then YOU had to go to jail or pay a big fine. Man, what would people do?
That's a quick correction.

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Quote:

if you get confused over a 1 and a half line sentence then you need to go back to school, maybe u can get a moderator to close this topic to stop the rage over a topic.
It's not about someone being confused. It's about the fact that you don't abide by rules and take the five seconds it takes to type properly. Look at what you just wrote. You used 1 in place of one. You use U in place of you. This is exactly the reason why there is a rule in place to begin with. Abide by it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.