Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

In light of a performance tip I read about, I was also wondering if Vegas would take advantage of a PhysX card.

More info:

My roommate uses Vegas and does video editing on this system:
  • AMD Kuma 7750 @ 2.8 GHz. running on an MSI 790FX motherboard
  • 4 gigs DDR2-800
  • 1 TB hard drive, another 1 TB to be added soon for a reinstall
  • ATI Radeon HD4870
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
He also uses some other programs like Photoshop and whatnot with Adobe CS3.

So, would adding an 8400GS that I'm not using help? Should I put a third HD in, a little 120 gig HD that's been doing nothing, and use that for swap, or simply dedicate some free space on the non-OS 1 TB HD for the swap?

Any and all tips appreciated.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I don`t think that the g.card is used that hard. I can test that when i`m home ([email protected]). I know that Adobes Premier CS5 used Cuda. But i doubt that there would be a gain in Vegas with a other card.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
More cores and more RAM.

If you have that third 120GB immediately available, do it. Separate HDD for swap is better for HDD loading times for files.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, current plan of action:

1. Install another 1 TB HD for a clean OS install so roomie has extra storage to put programs, and then he can use his existing 1 TB HD for data files.

2. Install the 120 gig HD as well, dedicate that to swap. It's a 7200.7 so I dunno how much that affects performance. All the drives will be in IDE mode anyway.

At this time I'm not going to bother with adding in the 8400GS because nobody has yet indicated that PhysX support would massively improve graphics and video editing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts