Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friends have been raving about Ubuntu for a while now and I just might take the plunge, and i don't play that many games anyway so is there any reason for me to get Linux? the whole "**** winblows crashes 24/7" doesn't work on me because I've never really had anything more than minor inconveniences...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If your fine with windows, stick with it
honestly, all Ubuntu is, is cute

if you play any games, stick with windows
things are just easier since your already used to Windows

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Linux is fun, frankly. If you are into tweaking your OS, the possibilities are unlimited. But, if you just want to boot up and read email/play a game, stick with Windows...for now...

·
Banned
5,464 Posts
Its a thing for people with spare time wanting to experiment. If your talking about just getting to to use as another OS to be on than stay with windows.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

Linux... cute...
. If that's the case then Windows is the drunk chick nobody wants to score with
Anyways, only venture into Linux if you want to try something new and different, or if you are tired of Windows. You can either use it as a back up, or if you learn enough (not that hard really) as a comlete replacement for Windows (except for the gaming part).

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

Linux... cute...
Anyways, only venture into Linux if you want to try something new and different, or if you are tired of Windows.

You got it in reverse...Windows is the drunk chick EVERYONE want's to score with. Why? You got me.

·
Banned
5,464 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

Linux... cute...
Anyways, only venture into Linux if you want to try something new and different, or if you are tired of Windows.

I dont see why everyone hates on windows. If you have half a brain it will never fail you.

Only thing I hate about windows is price/security. Performance wise, people complain too much.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonCallihan

I dont see why everyone hates on windows. If you have half a brain it will never fail you.

Only thing I hate about windows is price/security. Performance wise, people complain too much.

I love Windows. It never fails me, except that one time I got a BSOD for just opening a folder, and the time it froze while browsing the web, and rebooted when I was watching a DVD... never fails me and I love it. I would gladly keep paying MS for software.
Despite my love for Windows, Linux offers many possibilities. Not only do you have fun costumizing an entire OS (compiling kernels is so much fun... except when stuff goes wrong
) but you actually learn how things work and do not work.
Linux is both fun and useful to learn, not to mention the coolness factor. It can be a replacement for Windows, and with distros like FC and Ubuntu this transition is easier than ever. However, dual booting or virtual machines may be a better choice if your life depends on some critical Windows-only apps. (I'm referring to games and bencmark utilities of course
).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

i hate windows becasue it dosent liek open gl evryeon has there reasons

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I've tried Linux a couple of times now and I just dont want to invest the time it takes to learn it...I hate MS, but like Franken pc said she's easy...

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC

You got it in reverse...Windows is the drunk chick EVERYONE want's to score with. Why? You got me.

Because it's easy...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Windows is awesome. Anyone who disses it, just doesn't take care of it like they should.

There is absolutely NO reason to go to Linux other than because you want to. Honestly. Dual boot it, and try it out for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Linspire and Freespire are the two distros that make the move from Windows to Linux easy. They do a good job IMO cloning Windows.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i use linux b/c
One: its virus free - no deleting your personal file if it goes wrong
Two: its open sourced - if somethin goes wrong in windows,very very bad wrong, you reformat - not alwas the case in linux
Three:live cd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1337 - you have a perfectly fine os on any comp, no install, perfect for recovery!!!
Four: its free

yes threre are easy to you distros that you spend the same amount of time installing as you do windows
heck you can even make it look like windows
darkstar
mepis
much more out there than just ubuntu

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by biatchi

ubuntu is kinda sucky. suse and fedora rock, oh yeah and the jester is making his own distro

Edgy rocks, but it gets rather boring if you let it do everything for you. Been trying Xubuntu Edgy and I swear it has gotten a bit "heavier" than what I remember. After several attempts at FC6 I managed to get it going, but the simple fact that I could not run Beryl as well as with Ubuntu turned me off, so now I'm back dual booting Ubuntu/Suse on my laptop.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
FC6 comes with compiz. Its turning out to be quite the pain however to set up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts