Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just switched from ati x850 pro unlocked and flashed to a xtpe ...only scored 69xx in 3dmark05...got new msi diamond plus sli board so i went with 7800 gt and score 7555...but dont let that fool ya nvidia got left in the dust for 1 reason and its the main reason most people pump $ into a system and thats playability (if thats a word
). the 7800 gt beat it on benches...picture quality maybe alittle better(alittle as far as shading) but its downfall is fluidness. the 7800gt now that im stuck with seems laggy where as the ati ran smooth as silk. i guess all in all imo if u want a gamer video card id stick with ati and the only way is crossfire and id never go with first editions(dont like being a *guinney(spelling) pig because by the time they figure out problems ur no longer ahead of the curve...by the time updates come(bios' etc) every has 1 for alot less$. anyway that my opinion just wanted to say that...benches no longer mean anything to me..to me it depends on the way its applied

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by teddrich44

just switched from ati x850 pro unlocked and flashed to a xtpe ...only scored 69xx in 3dmark05...got new msi diamond plus sli board so i went with 7800 gt and score 7555...but dont let that fool ya nvidia got left in the dust for 1 reason and its the main reason most people pump $ into a system and thats playability (if thats a word
). the 7800 gt beat it on benches...picture quality maybe alittle better(alittle as far as shading) but its downfall is fluidness. the 7800gt now that im stuck with seems laggy where as the ati ran smooth as silk. i guess all in all imo if u want a gamer video card id stick with ati and the only way is crossfire and id never go with first editions(dont like being a *guinney(spelling) pig because by the time they figure out problems ur no longer ahead of the curve...by the time updates come(bios' etc) every has 1 for alot less$. anyway that my opinion just wanted to say that...benches no longer mean anything to me..to me it depends on the way its applied

It's most likely the game that you played. Some games play better on Nvidia and some better on Ati. You can buy a card from either company at any level of performance and having a matching competitor, meaning that neither company has any of the performance categories to themselves. You can go all the way down the line matching card for card starting with the 7800gtx 512 and the x1800xt pe....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, unless old habits die hard (NVIDIA has been accused of cheating at benches before), I really doubt that a 7800GT would be beat by a X850 XTPE. If it scores 800 points more than another card on 3DMark05 (which offered pretty intensive benching until the new 3DMark06), then generally that would mean it can render more frames per second, and I mean quite a bit.

You're talking about the 16-pipe 7800GT, right? In that case, they're pretty much the same and then it all comes down to which game favors which company and its ability to render graphics better (not based on physical power).

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearbox

Well, unless old habits die hard (NVIDIA has been accused of cheating at benches before), I really doubt that a 7800GT would be beat by a X850 XTPE (in most cases). If it scores 800 points more than another card on 3DMark05 (which offered pretty intensive benching until the new 3DMark06), then generally that would mean it can render more frames per second, and I mean quite a bit.

Individual games can very dramatically. There are even games where my x850 beats a 7800gtx 256 across the board on every resolution and setting, but the 7800gtx is a LOT faster card. I'm guessing he either had a buggy driver or simply an ATI favored game. With that said, why did you upgrade such a small step? You should always make your upgrades count or you'll be sucking up a ton of money into your comp without much results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
upgraded mob and cpu...got msi diamond plus with a opty175...got a 7800gt with another on the way ...so its an ugrade

1 - 6 of 6 Posts