Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to of Computers use, this enter in my life due school class at 1988, but my first personal computer this came in my life at 1997.

They are two sound cards which caused to me the greatest impact as Best Impression.
:)

The first this was AUREAL 3D prior the year 2000.
The second this is X-Fi Music this made by Creative at 2005 and earlier.

The premature death of white PCI slot a choice of motherboard makers, this forced many consumers to abandon this brilliant hardware.
And also this decision did double damage, because new computer users they lost the chance to get to know and or relate with this innovating technology.

Today I did install at my PC the Demo software that came with my sound card on CD, and now I am presenting few screenshots from it.

Sound blaster X-Fi this is still the most powerful processor for sound ever installed on a sound card.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
From 2000 until the end of Windows XP Creative had EAX, the funny thing about EAX on a Sound blaster (and I did have that XFi-Music card) is it allowed me to specify the position/distance of each individual speaker in my surround sound system, took sound position directly from the the game engine through a position/effect API and re-computed/re-mapped to fit my unique speaker setup. Which is exactly what the very latest, never before available, must buy a new receiver Dolby Atmos system does - Computer enthusiasts already had it 20 years ago but now it's just become the latest and greatest in consumer audio. I find it quite amusing.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,627 Posts
Dolby Atmos is specifically for speakers they point up to help fill the ambience of a large room. Pretty sure creative didn't have that 20 years ago.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Listening to WTJU http://streams.wtju.net:8000/wtju-192.mp3 with my Auzen X-Fi Prelude as we speak, with the custom speaker adjustment you speak of active.

Last onboard realtek I heard was the ALC1150 SupremeFX, and it took all of two minutes to reject it outright and re-install a sound card.

·
Registered
102 Posts
x-fi was a great card still using PCI-e version in my current rig.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Dolby Atmos is specifically for speakers they point up to help fill the ambience of a large room. Pretty sure creative didn't have that 20 years ago.
They were limited to 7 channels, even the highest end consumer equipment was but they did have height, high and low speakers playing different sounds. Back then to run it you needed a reasonably powerful desktop plus the additional soundcard with it's own additional processor, today the same processing can be done on the £5 processor that goes into a £150 receiver to make an entry level home theatre system, I think that's the real reason it's become available. You should only need additional "ambience" speakers if your main speakers are inadequate?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On top of the most popular features, X-Fi this is also capable for multi channel midi recording and playback.
I did combine M-Audio 49 Keys Midi keyboard & ASIO drivers and Cubase software, and the results was more than great.
Back then the only step up solution was a dedicated M-Audio sound card just for Midi recording and playback, but useless for anything else.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Listening to WTJU http://streams.wtju.net:8000/wtju-192.mp3 with my Auzen X-Fi Prelude as we speak, with the custom speaker adjustment you speak of active.

Last onboard realtek I heard was the ALC1150 SupremeFX, and it took all of two minutes to reject it outright and re-install a sound card.
The ones investing at high quality PC speakers (YAMAHA quad setup here plus Sub-woofer), they can not be fooled with on-board sound cards. ;)

·
Graphics Junkie
3,627 Posts
They were limited to 7 channels, even the highest end consumer equipment was but they did have height, high and low speakers playing different sounds. Back then to run it you needed a reasonably powerful desktop plus the additional soundcard with it's own additional processor, today the same processing can be done on the £5 processor that goes into a £150 receiver to make an entry level home theatre system, I think that's the real reason it's become available. You should only need additional "ambience" speakers if your main speakers are inadequate?
Have you seen an Atmos speaker? They point up and they're for rooms with high ceilings.

·
Robotic Chemist
4,084 Posts
Have you seen an Atmos speaker? They point up and they're for rooms with high ceilings.
The pointing up thing is a way to cheap out, so you don't need speakers mounted up high. The sound is supposed to reflect off the ceiling and sound like it is coming from above. That isn't really how Atmos is supposed to work.
Ideally you would mount speakers in the ceiling:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ideally you would mount speakers in the ceiling:
Natural sounded music and home theater, they are two different worlds.
I just feel the need to clarify this detail.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I think you should check the full "Cinema" Atmos specification, the reduced "Home Theatre" Atmos specification that's been rolled out to consumers, and also realise that you don't even have to meet all of the "Home Theatre" Atmos specification to be fully accredited as an "Atmos capable system", just some small part of it and pay money to get the new badge.

Also consider what might be actually needed in a huge cinema hall that can take 200 people, may even have a balcony/upper deck, and a room in your house.

uses the spatially-encoded object audio substream to mix the audio presentation to match the installed speaker configuration
At it's core it does exactly what EAX did.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,627 Posts
I think you should check the full "Cinema" Atmos specification, the reduced "Home Theatre" Atmos specification that's been rolled out to consumers, and also realise that you don't even have to meet all of the "Home Theatre" Atmos specification to be fully accredited as an "Atmos capable system", just some small part of it and pay money to get the new badge.
My only point was that there are aspects of atmos that didn't exist 20 years ago, unless I'm mistaken. Personally I'm happy with standard 5.1 surround sound so I don't have any first hand experience with atmos.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
How to of Computers use, this enter in my life due school class at 1988, but my first personal computer this came in my life at 1997.

They are two sound cards which caused to me the greatest impact as Best Impression.
:)

The first this was AUREAL 3D prior the year 2000.
The second this is X-Fi Music this made by Creative at 2005 and earlier.

The premature death of white PCI slot a choice of motherboard makers, this forced many consumers to abandon this brilliant hardware.
And also this decision did double damage, because new computer users they lost the chance to get to know and or relate with this innovating technology.

Today I did install at my PC the Demo software that came with my sound card on CD, and now I am presenting few screenshots from it.

Sound blaster X-Fi this is still the most powerful processor for sound ever installed on a sound card.

View attachment 2518423
View attachment 2518424
View attachment 2518425
View attachment 2518426
View attachment 2518427
View attachment 2518428
View attachment 2518429
View attachment 2518430
View attachment 2518431
View attachment 2518432
the xfi with upgraded opamp upgrade is amazing tbh

·
PC Enthusiast
776 Posts
I once had the X-Fi XtremeMusic in one of my computers and I still use an X-Fi Titanium HD in my main computer to this day. Excellent sound cards.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Back in time and at my first months of owning the X-Fi, I did feel jealous as I did not have any front panel.

AUDIGY this is much older revision, and wiring compatibility due the flat cable was unknown.
I was had to tweak the flat ribbon cable, all by my self. :)
I have also the AUDIGY remote control too..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts