Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a gaming rig on the Black Friday 2018, and I am unsure if I should get a sound card. And if I do, than what headphones could "unlock" it's potential? Or maybe a sound card isn't worth it at all considering, that Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 (My Motherboard) already has a pretty decent sound? Any suggestions are more than welcome!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think sound cards, specifically surround sound processing is worth it for quite a lot of games. That is the game outputs 5.1 or 7.1 to Windows and then the sound device takes that and uses binaural processing to take that to 2.0 of a pair of headphones. This is often vastly superior to the inbuilt processing of DirectX (which most games fail to utilise) and its also superior to the processing built into a lot of games in headphone mode such as in battlefield. I even get better positional cues in the sound than with Dolby atmos Headphone such as in Overwatch. Some people call this technology virtual surround sound but principally it is based on the science of how two ears determine the direction sounds come from, based on the delay between the ears, frequency and volume shifts caused by the shape of the ears and shoulders and at least 3 other factors.

The best of these out currently is the Sennheiser GSX 1000, a USB sound card which is not cheap. Then I would say the Soundblaster Z with SBX Pro is second, mainly because while positional information is similar it changes the tone and loses bass impact. Dolby headphone on something like a Xonar comes a distant third and I would not bother with Realtek's implementation or Razor's software. There is also a free option with Equalizer APU and Hesuvi. The problem with the later is it is a pain in the backside to set up and in my experience, not 100% reliable and often has to be combined with Virtual Cable so you lose the volume control from within Windows.

There are other reasons to want a higher quality DAC and AMP as well when it comes to headphones especially if you have decent quality cans. There is clearly a difference in the sound of different equipment and the higher quality your cans are the more they are likely to benefit from more capable and powerful DACs and amps. How much this matters really depends on your headphones.

I think it is worth it, the fact that so many others don't is also kind of good because it gives me a competitive advantage.

·
The Challenger
2,282 Posts
The S1220A on your motherboard doesn't compare to the SBZ. The SBZ will sound much clearer.

As for headphones... With anything that is like an M40x or higher quality, you will definitely be noticing the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts