Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really interested in getting a sound card for my Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers, but would it be a upgrade over my maximus gene SupremeFX X-Fi 2 on board sound?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think the onboard sound that is on the newer motherboards sounds great. Alot of people dont notice a whole lot of difference between onboard vs a soundcard. I cant comment though on the issue if you are using high end headphones.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
If you buy a sound card for those speakers, don't buy anything higher than a Xonar DG. I personally think you'll hear a difference, even with Logitech speakers, but can't make a promise. That's why i think you should go no higher than a Xonar DG. Cheap, will max out an audible difference for those speakers and..oh yeah, cheap.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
IMHO it's probably not worth it considering you are using Logitech speakers.

Your built in card has got to be better than onboard, so a tiny bit better dac/amp probably won't make a noticeable difference without good speakers.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok what would be better speakers to upgrade to then? like price point?
and if i had high end headphones would you notice a difference upgrading?

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
In short, with better gear, will come better audio.

You WILL notice a difference with better headphones or speakers.

And then you will need a higher end card.

Find a budget you can afford and are willing to spend on audio, then we can help you from there.

Things to take into account:

Do you want headphones or speakers?

If speakers, active or passive..or PC speakers..

If headphones, what purpose do you want the headphones for? Gaming, bassy music, jazz etc..

If headphones, be prepared to spend on an amp.

If passive speaker be prepared to spend on an amp.

If 5.1 or stereo passive, be prepared to spend on a receiver.

Be prepared to spend on an External DAC/Receiver or sound card.

Basically, you're going to spend quite a bit of money depending on your needs and budget.

But we can help you no matter what budget you have. It's recommended you at least have a 100 dollar budget though. Preferably more.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
^ Yep

Also, a good headphone setup will be much cheaper than an equally good speaker setup.

Sound cards aren't necessarily bad, but inside a computer isn't exactly where high end audio belongs. An external dac/amp will always provide much better sound than a sound card... though it will also cost more. A decent pair of headphones and good sound card is probably the direction you will want to head. It will be relatively affordable and also sound great for the price. If you feel like you are missing something your next upgrade would be external equipment.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm in the same boat and i have klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers. Same motherboard also. What card would you recommend. It's mainly for gaming and listening to classic rock. Sorry to steal the thread, don't mean to be rude.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
That ROG sound card looks like an STX with 5.1 built in and a new shield. Can't comment on the quality, but I'm venturing a guess that it's actually inferior to the STX or of equal performance.

IMO, for a nice 2.1 speaker+soundcard+headphone gaming centered experience with music taken into account (basically an all around win) the best set up to go with is a:

Titanium HD Sound card (Gaming targeted, but also good with music).

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speaker set up (nice subwoofer, pretty good satellites for music listening).

And an AD700 headphone for gaming purposes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I am not an audio expert, but needed to get a cheap sound card and got the Xonar DG. It sounds great, and I have no qualms with it. If you decide to go that way, I doubt you will be disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts