Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it northbridge or South Bridge that fails when sound starts to stutter like mad after a while...And after BLue screen and restart.
My Board is Epox 8rda+ whit a 40mm fan on northbridge =D

To hot or wut =D

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The southbridge typically controls onboard sound, have you updated the motherboard drivers recently?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm okej...I dont have Cooling or even a heatsink on my southbridge.

I use the Built in soundcard from nvidia. And have installed latest Nforce drivers

But i clocked the comp a little bit. Its a xp2100 original and clocked to xp 2200
1733Mzh to 1840mhz Multiplier is 11x 166

i did not change any voltage on the vcore yet for cpu

Cpu temps is att 54* full load

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Also, do you recall what the blue screen said? They usually contain some form of defition of the error causing the BSOD.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and BTW i did NOT fix the PCI/AGP freq...Jisses.....what do i set it on 66 mhz?

Radeon 9800 pro is clocked also =D]

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

yes lock the PCI on 33Mhz and AGP on 66Mhz. more than likely thats your problem.

hm weird i cant find so i can lock pci on 33mhz only the AGP on 66

Only thing that uses PCI slots is network card though...hm

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sper

hm weird i cant find so i can lock pci on 33mhz only the AGP on 66

Only thing that uses PCI slots is network card though...hm

The PCI slots are not the only running off the PCI bus. your sound and several other things also run off the same PCI bus. do you see any option in your BIOS that will let you change your Chipset from running synchronous to asynchronous with the FSB or CPU external frequency?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

The PCI slots are not the only running off the PCI bus. your sound and several other things also run off the same PCI bus. do you see any option in your BIOS that will let you change your Chipset from running synchronous to asynchronous with the FSB or CPU external frequency?

Only thing i can fins is Pci Latency Timer and Onchip 1394

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Okay, well If its the Southbridge causing is causeing the sound to go out, could that be my problem also? I have a PCI/AGP lock, and after about 10-15minutes of gameplay, I lose my sound, ? no? lol

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Okay, well If its the Southbridge causing is causeing the sound to go out, could that be my problem also? I have a PCI/AGP lock, and after about 10-15minutes of gameplay, I lose my sound, ? no? lol

It could be, but generally the southbridge doesn't produce that much heat, at least not near as much as the northbridge. I guess there is always a chance.
If you have the PCI freq locked at 33Mhz then maybe you system is not 100% stable? Your pushing that Celeron pretty hard, 3.4Ghz out of a 2.4, thats pretty good if it's 100% stable.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Its hard to tell if its stable or not with this processor, I know that with AMD's and prescotts you can tell your pushing the limits by the temps. But with this CPU, it idles @ 17 and load @35-38C. Should I just throw a hsf on the southbridge?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

Its hard to tell if its stable or not with this processor, I know that with AMD's and prescotts you can tell your pushing the limits by the temps. But with this CPU, it idles @ 17 and load @35-38C. Should I just throw a hsf on the southbridge?

there is harm in trying. I can't promise you it will work though. this maybe a way of telling you the board itself it is not stable. SIS chipsets a not very reliable when being overclocked real high. try lowering the overclock down to around 3.0 or 3.2 and see if you still have the same problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i modified a Heatzink on the southbridge (No Fan) I took a old Graphic card heatzink. Hope that works though.

Anyway the SouthBridge was VERY hot whitout heatzink...You got third degrees burns if you touched it. =/

only thing now is that the fan to that heatzink has a connceter that istn on the mainboard..Its a small one that you connect on the graphic card...Can i change the connecter to a 3 pin connecter somehow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts