Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell XPS15Z. It is a couple of years old.

Although the computer speakers have always been crappy, it always sounded fantastic through headphones, hooked up to my home stereo, or through my bands PA.

A few months ago the sound just went to crap. There are no lows and everything just sounds dead.

The computer uses Realtek drivers and I have removed and updated them multiple times. I have also updated the BIOS more than once. I started to think the problems had something to do with a Fruity Loops install so I removed it and that didn't help.

Here is the strange part, I have Sony Music Studio 8 on the computer which uses ASIO4ALL. When I work with that program, the music sounds better than ever. I have tried everything I can think of to use ASIO4ALL as the main sound driver, but nothing works. Windows Media Player plugins for ASIO4ALL haven't worked for me as well as various other media players I have installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be a fix or a workaround or a fix for this problem?

Also, I am considering going to an external USB soundcard. Would that completely bypass the sound and drivers from the computer soundcard and motherboard? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced (sub $100) USB soundcard?

Thanks for your help,
BRandon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Ugh, last thing I want to have to do is a clean OS installation. I'm tired of messing with it and just ordered exactly what you recommended. Thanks!
thumb.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts