Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've been having issues with buzzing in the speakers when scrolling webpages or playing games etc.

Playing PUBG also caused others to hear a buzzing sound from my mic when starting the game.

As a long shot I put a Ferrite core on the powercables for both the 1080Ti card and my Xonar STX soundcard.

Buzzing and hum all gone. Both in speakers when scrolling and in the mic when playing.

I remember PSUs had these ferrite cores on the PCI-E 6-pin connectors around 2006-2007. But now all PSUs ship with pretty low quality cables. Dont know why that is.

Just thought I should share the fix that worked for me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Could you share images or describe in more detail.

Large ferrites around the whole cables?

How many needed. Is only one for the sound card enough or did you need it for both GPU and sound? Or maybe only GPU is needed? Tested around?

I've had issues with buzzing with integrated soundcards and I notice it's usually a issue with more power-hungry graphics that make it worse or less. cpu power can have an effect as well but not as severe as big hot GPU:s eating power.
The buzzing can appear or disappear again depending on some other factors but the gpu power usually is the main cause of the severity I have noted. (unshielded/bad case front audio ports/cables being another factor)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take some pictures and post it.

Actually I got inspired and will make a PCI-E filter with custom PCB if anyone is interested. With industrial grade DC filter components to remedy all kinds of interference. The Ferrite beads are not really the ideal solution but does the job fairly well.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefreak View Post

I'll take some pictures and post it.

Actually I got inspired and will make a PCI-E filter with custom PCB if anyone is interested. With industrial grade DC filter components to remedy all kinds of interference. The Ferrite beads are not really the ideal solution but does the job fairly well.
Yes, very interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts