Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 555's finally crapped the bed after 3 years of faithful service. Paddings fell out and the common side cracks are finally starting to destroy the housing. My question is this:

I want to get a new soundcard also, under £100 the D2X looks like the best so far, any other suggestions/confirmation it's a good idea?

Also, 555s - was going to just buy a new pair but does anyone have any better alternatives for under £100 shipped good for all round, movies, games and dynamic enough a sound stage for music?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
The AD 700's are really good. Actually, Ive heard that while they have less bass than the 555's, they are the overall better choice. I'm pretty sure newegg has them for under a hundred bucks, but i don't know about Europe.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
If you want them purely for gaming AD700s are a nice pair of headphones to buy. They have a wide sound stage which will allow you to pinpoint where opponents are around you. They're great for classical music and non-bassy music/movies.

If you want some bass to your music, the AD700s will not provide you with the amount you're seeking. Another good choice that also provide bass are the JVC HARX900s. They have a nice sound stage and allow for pretty nice bass as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Audi...8005905&sr=8-4

With the money I just saved you on the RX900s, invest that money into a better sound card. The Essence STX from Asus has a built in amp in it's soundcard and is excellent for headphones. If headphones are what you use for your PC, then it's an excellent choice. If you use 5.1 speakers, stick with the D2X.

Although I'm not sure if the RX900s benefit much from the amplifier.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
The D2X is a great sound card. One of the best. I prefer external DACs because they provide much better quality for the money (like the Musiland Monitor 02) but you might miss things like EAX for gaming (though I don't, it has to be said).

If your main priorities are music, get the Musiland Monitor 02. It can be had on Ebay for less than £90. You have to buy it from ebay though - they're Chinese in origin, but shipping is free, and the companies are reliable.

AD700 don't benefit at all from being amped. At least mine didn't.

I wouldn't get the AD700 as "all 'round" headphones; they're pretty horrible for that. This is coming from a guy who owned them for 3 months. At around £100, an all 'round headphone would have to be the Shure SRH440 - they're about as neutral/balanced as you get in headphones (indeed they're marketed as being designed for studio work) and I absolutely loved mine for every genre of music, games and movies. They're also excellent for travelling with because of the small, coiled cable (though it stretches to around 3 metres I believe), their amazing isolation abilities which remain unparalleled in any headphone/IEM I've tried and their size, since they're pretty compact. However, they do clamp the side of your head quite tightly even if your head's not very big like mine, the earpads are made of "pleather" - in essence, fake leather - and the headband can become immensely uncomfortable on the top of the head if they're worn for an excessive amount of time (though it's not a problem for me because I have epically thick hair).

Or a better option would be a pair of JVC HA-RX900 and then modding them using this guide. If you're looking for sound insulation materials, anything rubber-like works well, so even something like drawer liner or a rubber mat (I used this and it works admirably) would do well. I much prefer the modded RX700 (the RX900's little brother) to the Shure SRH440 (and the SRH440 are awesome headphones).

I didn't like my AD700.

The HD555/HD595 are only really suited to classical/acoustical music... unless these are your main priority, there are way, way better choices.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting, I decided to go with the STX mainly because I like It's Dolby functions for movies and I watch a lot of movies and play games also on the side. I read into the AD700 and they are apparently bass anaemic. I'm not a 'bass head' but I do like a bit of kick for movies. I think I'm going to go for the RX700s and mod them like you said. Seems like a solid choice and cheap too.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zawarudo
View Post

Thanks for posting, I decided to go with the STX mainly because I like It's Dolby functions for movies and I watch a lot of movies and play games also on the side. I read into the AD700 and they are apparently bass anaemic. I'm not a 'bass head' but I do like a bit of kick for movies. I think I'm going to go for the RX700s and mod them like you said. Seems like a solid choice and cheap too.

Definitely.

The STX is a good call. Great sound card - the best, even.

They're about as bass anaemic as you get, yes. There was literally no bass impact whatsoever (even if you EQ'd it way high).

I love my RX700 when modded - I actually prefer them to the AD700, SRH440 and they're about level with my Alessandro MS1 (modded) on terms of enjoyment level. They're just great, fun cans.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just ordered the RX700s, can't wait to mod them. I modded my old 555s to bring some life into the lower ends, they were a really nice pair of headphones. I'll be sad to retire them.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zawarudo View Post
just ordered the RX700s, can't wait to mod them. I modded my old 555s to bring some life into the lower ends, they were a really nice pair of headphones. I'll be sad to retire them.

Thanks again.

What are you doing with the HD555 out of interest?

And you're welcome. I'm sure you'll love them - I'm not even just being weird with my ears, I got my mother and step-dad to test them in comparison with AD700, Shure SRH440 and Alessandro MS1 on the same 3 songs (Nothing Else Matters - Metallica, San Tropez - Pink Floyd and Vesuvius - David Lanz) and they all picked the RX700 as their favourite for sound quality on all of them.

Oh, and I'm going to get AD700 pads for the RX700 - I actually quite like how they affect the sound (a little bit lighter on the low end, but the highs are much smoother, as are the mids) and they're sooo much more comfortable (though they're still comfortable at stock). I'll let you know how that goes when I phone Audio Technica tomorrow, I might be able to get you a pair of pads too.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm probably just going to re-pad the ear cups or replace the ear cups altogether then hang them on my glass mannequin head for the rest of their days. Modding them gave them a certain something - a unique tonality and depth I've never heard from another pair of 555s and I've owned four pairs of them. Bass had a what i can only describe as actuate, tight punch to it with warm middles and almost too bright highs but just right at the same time. A museum piece now.

EDIT: Oh yeah I also ordered the 595s as a replacement to the 555s. I thought why not have both, Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

What are you doing with the HD555 out of interest?

And you're welcome. I'm sure you'll love them - I'm not even just being weird with my ears, I got my mother and step-dad to test them in comparison with AD700, Shure SRH440 and Alessandro MS1 on the same 3 songs (Nothing Else Matters - Metallica, San Tropez - Pink Floyd and Vesuvius - David Lanz) and they all picked the RX700 as their favourite for sound quality on all of them.

Flawed test is flawed as a preference of sound signature (how it sounds) != better sound quality fidelity wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts