Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the massive overhauls they've been doing to allow the mac version, is there a way I can use OpenGL instead of DirectX in wine to play CS:S/TF2?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by eseb1 View Post
Well they said DX 10/11 now runs natively on Linux using the same methods Wine uses.
No. Wine translates DirectX into OpenGL.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
With the massive overhauls they've been doing to allow the mac version, is there a way I can use OpenGL instead of DirectX in wine to play CS:S/TF2?
You've always been able to use OGL for wine...

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Code:

Code:
      |  +->DirectDrawRenderer
      |  |   [Select what backend to use for DDraw. Valid options are:
      |  |    gdi - Use GDI to draw on the screen (slow but reliable) (default)
      |  |    opengl - Use OpenGL (fast but not all programs work correctly)
      |  |    see http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectDraw for more information]
Linux doesn't use the game settings directly and so when you switch "in game" settings like DX/OGL your still not switching how Wine is drawing the game. That's done above and is the only real way to use OGL with Wine.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jimi

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
Thanks mushroomboy +rep
But remember different games run better or worse with this, different wine prefix's are suggested with these types of tweaks.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
i've got a stupid question.

what would be harder, getting a windows program working in linux or getting a mac program working in linux (maybe bsd since it is closer to that.)

i know there is a large range of proprietary stuff for mac os x which is not pushed back to open source.

this is interesting none the less, i'm thinking of giving this a shot

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour View Post
i've got a stupid question.

what would be harder, getting a windows program working in linux or getting a mac program working in linux (maybe bsd since it is closer to that.)

i know there is a large range of proprietary stuff for mac os x which is not pushed back to open source.

this is interesting none the less, i'm thinking of giving this a shot

getting OSX apps to run as outside of a VM I don't think it's very feasible

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
i know it has something to do with elf binary and non elf binary, and the fact that cocoa is their main api lib, and it hink the other is carbon, i know cocoa has a opensource variant, called gnustep i believe, but their is none for carbon.

sorry to hijack your thread jimi

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour View Post
sorry to hijack your thread jimi

No it's okay, because I basically made the topic thinking if it would be better to run the mac version (since its native opengl)

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
there are many other problems with this as well, such as audio libraries.... I actually don't think there is any real way to run OSX applications inside linux. it's a shame because you'd think it would be easier. I guess it comes down to as 'why'? Why make OSX apps run in Linux? The few audio solutions you have probably wouldn't work well anyways and I can't think of any other reason. =(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts