Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took apart my computer about a half hour ago and i moved stuff around (hd and cdrom) and weird stuff is going on...

i tried to install drivers from cd rom, and everything fails to load, maybe the IDE cable got bent? is all i can think of lol.

so i did a windows up date on their website, and it said install service pack 2... i could have sworn i had sp2 cuz i have installed it a while ago. so i downloaded this 116mb file and it stopped install and said your key is invalid failed to install service pack 2... im using a burnt copy but ive been able to install sp2 before, should i reformat? (i have reformatted every day this week LOL)

its also taking forever for things to load like my processor has gone ******ed, monkey see monkey do i also noticed ive been spelling it retarted.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyKnow

I just took apart my computer about a half hour ago and i moved stuff around (hd and cdrom) and weird stuff is going on...

i tried to install drivers from cd rom, and everything fails to load, maybe the IDE cable got bent? is all i can think of lol.

so i did a windows up date on their website, and it said install service pack 2... i could have sworn i had sp2 cuz i have installed it a while ago. so i downloaded this 116mb file and it stopped install and said your key is invalid failed to install service pack 2... im using a burnt copy but ive been able to install sp2 before, should i reformat? (i have reformatted every day this week LOL)

its also taking forever for things to load like my processor has gone ******ed, monkey see monkey do i also noticed ive been spelling it retarted.

Microsoft has recently incorperated a function that will only allow registered copies of Windows to use the Update Site, reforming your PC will jsut keep you from getting all updates that have been released since it was burnt to disk.

Now as for your CD-ROm, verify that the jumper settings are correct and that it is recognized in BIOS. If it recognized in BIOS then the jumpers are correct and the cable work in which it woudl be a soft error (you need to load the driver) , if the jumpers are correct and it does not show in BIOS then you may need a new cable.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Microsoft has recently incorperated a function that will only allow registered copies of Windows to use the Update Site, reforming your PC will jsut keep you from getting all updates that have been released since it was burnt to disk.

Now as for your CD-ROm, verify that the jumper settings are correct and that it is recognized in BIOS. If it recognized in BIOS then the jumpers are correct and the cable work in which it woudl be a soft error (you need to load the driver) , if the jumpers are correct and it does not show in BIOS then you may need a new cable.

Sometimes you just gotta do the legal thing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

oh snap son...

and floppy and cd rom and hdd are all recognized in bios both cd rom and Hard drive are masters because they have their own IDE cables, also if i put a floppy disk in floppy drive and explore A: it says please insert floppy

so microsoft is getting all hard as*ed on us?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

oh snap son...

and floppy and cd rom and hdd are all recognized in bios both cd rom and Hard drive are masters because they have their own IDE cables, also if i put a floppy disk in floppy drive and explore A: it says please insert floppy

so microsoft is getting all hard as*ed on us?

So just to make sure I understand the problem,
both your CD and floppy are not working?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

So just to make sure I understand the problem,
both your CD and floppy are not working?

yes sir ROFL sory

this is lame xp costs a fortune for no reason, maybe i should just go to linux 3.0

omc xp pro is 250 bucks at newegg haha

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

yes sir ROFL sory

this is lame xp costs a fortune for no reason, maybe i should just go to linux 3.0

omc xp pro is 250 bucks at newegg haha

Ok, well I am at a loss with this issue, I cannot see why it will not work.

But there is good news, i have posted your problem with another group I am part of that consists of mass amounts of IT & IS Pros, I will post whatever questions or ideas they have.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Ok, well I am at a loss with this issue, I cannot see why it will not work.

But there is good news, i have posted your problem with another group I am part of that consists of mass amounts of IT & IS Pros, I will post whatever questions or ideas they have.

hey thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is possible still for me to install sp2 right? i could do it other than from windows update?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here some information for you: windows cannot find ctrun.exe, if that helps you.. thats when i try to run a cd.

strangely everything is being slow, expect i benchmarked my hard drive, and its avg read when from 26.8mb/sec to 35mb/sec this is crazy lol

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

here some information for you: windows cannot find ctrun.exe, if that helps you.. thats when i try to run a cd.

strangely everything is being slow, expect i benchmarked my hard drive, and its avg read when from 26.8mb/sec to 35mb/sec this is crazy lol

Here is a link to get the file ctrun.exe which is related to soundblaster, it is refered to by autoplay.exe on some CDs, I recommend that you download it.

As for getting SP2, you cannot get it anywhere but from Windows Update.
Because SP2 is in Beta I say don't worry about it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Here is a link to get the file ctrun.exe which is related to soundblaster, it is refered to by autoplay.exe on some CDs, I recommend that you download it.

As for getting SP2, you cannot get it anywhere but from Windows Update.
Because SP2 is in Beta I say don't worry about it.

i might have to try to reformat to solve this issue, thanks for the link, creative labs is the cd im trying to run
ill try this, but it might make sense to reformat so everything should work

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

i might have to try to reformat to solve this issue, thanks for the link, creative labs is the cd im trying to run
ill try this, but it might make sense to reformat so everything should work

Remember that if you are running a pirated version of Windows you will not be able to get any updates from Microsoft, so you will stuck with major security holes in your system.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Remember that if you are running a pirated version of Windows you will not be able to get any updates from Microsoft, so you will stuck with major security holes in your system.

will things in the near future require you to have some updates

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

will things in the near future require you to have some updates

The most important update that I can think of is DirectX, because it is downloaded from windows you will not be able to get the future versions unless they come on a disk with a game.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just looked into my registry and theres nothing under the system folder of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and that is where autoplay is supposed to be

so i cant check the registry with my cd cuz the rom doesnt work lol reformat time, thanks for your help man

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

i just looked into my registry and theres nothing under the system folder of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and that is where autoplay is supposed to be

so i cant check the registry with my cd cuz the rom doesnt work lol reformat time, thanks for your help man

Well good luck with the reformat and you are welcome.

If you must resort to buying Windows XP look for an OEM pack it is much cheaper than buying the standard package.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Well good luck with the reformat and you are welcome.

If you must resort to buying Windows XP look for an OEM pack it is much cheaper than buying the standard package.

whats the cheapest you can find? i dont think my dad will approve of buying xp, hes a linux guy and i think the most recent version we bought was win98

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
theres a problem i cant reformat windows, when i go to boot menu computer restarts because it cant read disc from cdrom

1 - 20 of 65 Posts