Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

New photographs of the former Soviet Union's Lunokhod 2 rover on the moon, which is owned by an American millionaire, is causing a legal stir over who can own what on the lunar surface.

Quote:

American entrepreneur Richard Garriott is a highly successful video game developer. He's also a space aficionado and the son of scientist-astronaut Owen Garriott, who flew both a Skylab 3 mission in 1973 and onboard the STS-9 space shuttle mission on Columbia in 1983.

In 1993, Richard Garriott purchased both the Soviet Union's Luna 21 lander and the Lunokhod 2 rover. The deal was struck during a Sotheby's space auction in New York.

Quote:

"I think I can truly make the only private, legitimate claim to territory â€" at the very least around my rover and, potentially, along its point of travel," Garriott said, "to give me some actual property rights on the moon."

Garriott added that his assertion is somewhat tongue in cheek.

At some point, can we just turn those cameras onto the remnants of the lunar landing and ask the skeptics how placing at least half of a lander on the moon fits into the conspiracy to fake the moon landing?

Source

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's the guy who used to call himself Lord British in the Ultima games. Yes, he is British.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FairDoos
View Post

Your getting your information off Wikipedia..

So? The location Richard Garriott hails is not exactly highly detailed, Wiki is a fine source for that.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Your getting your information off Wikipedia..

You got yours out of your butt, at least that's a somewhat decent source.

I want to go to the moon and see if those moon bases really exist

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
For one, if he were to "own" part of the moon who does he pay the money to to get this kind of right? Secondly, who has the right to even sell the moon?

Some people are just so greedy is sickening.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

At some point, can we just turn those cameras onto the remnants of the lunar landing and ask the skeptics how placing at least half of a lander on the moon fits into the conspiracy to fake the moon landing?

Source

Assuming of course the skeptics don't also believe that the soviet lander and rover are also fakes and not really on the moon either.

OT. In modern history we have learned that possession of or supposed possession of a territory does not mean it is yours. You get to hold it until someone bigger and meaner kicks you out. Don't understand why there is this whole notion of having to own everything. It's the moon. If a claim of ownership is ever established on it, will everyone on the planet have to pay fees to the "owner" for the moonlight they get?

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ugh K le me rephrase.. EHEM. Trust it be the British to debate who's the moon is. f-m-l.

Quote:

View Post

Sorry troll ^^

Your the troll man seriously. I proved a point and you gave a rude remark.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't think that anyone can "claim" the moon. It's a first-come-first-served location, I would think.

Want to set up a base on the moon? Off you go. If you can make it work, then it's yours. The person who owns it is the person who gets there first.

I would think that as a race we could recognize "international" laws on the moon. No murder, no piracy, etc. Other than that, it's like finding a deserted isle in the middle of the Pacific.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok now im confused if he frickin British or American? haha

He's British-American.

Born in England. Raised in America. Family is American.

I believe space and moon territorial laws have been partially established.

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

His family is American and was raised in America. He just wants to be British.

Like Madonna?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts