Overclock.net banner

Spam

546 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  axipher
Is there something we can do about the extremely excessive amount of spam happening as of late?

Is there a way to disable new members from posting X amount of embedded images and/or disabling a certain post limit for new members?

I know it would put some new member to a disadvantage, but this spam that is happening as of late is completely excessive and I know I've reported probably 15 or so in the past three days.

Any idea on something to be done?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Yes, report the post and don't reply. People will always find was to circumvent the system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

Is there something we can do about the extremely excessive amount of spam happening as of late?

Is there a way to disable new members from posting X amount of embedded images and/or disabling a certain post limit for new members?

I know it would put some new member to a disadvantage, but this spam that is happening as of late is completely excessive and I know I've reported probably 15 or so in the past three days.

Any idea on something to be done?

The only thing we can do is to just keep doing what you're already doing: report them and move on. The only thing that would prevent this spam is to make it so new members cannot post anything at all until they have been approved by OCN's staff. But that still wouldn't work. Spammers would then find a way to get approved so that they could post their spam. And even if there were limitations on what they could post as new members, then they'd still find a way to post their spam.

So, just keep up the good work, halifax. Reporting them is our best defense against it even though it's not a way to actually prevent it.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by h00chi3
View Post

Yes, report the post and don't reply. People will always find was to circumvent the system.

Yep. From what I've seen, spam usually gets deleted fairly quickly. If not, just ignore it until an admin can make waste of it.
See less See more
The mods on this site work very hard to remove the spam as soon as possible. Just report the spam and don't reply to it and we will handle the rest.
I would rather get rid of the belly ads

Just report spam. Not really bad on OCN. Gets handled fairly quickly.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb
View Post

I would rather get rid of the belly ads

Just report spam. Not really bad on OCN. Gets handled fairly quickly.

Agreed lol. I'm getting tired of seeing
LOSE 40 POUNDS IN ONLY TWO WEEKSFOLLOWING ONE RULE!!!
See less See more
To be honest, the spam is frustrating me too. I'd love to see the entire country of China banned, as that is where all those program adverts originate from. Although that would entail banning many different IP ranges. Seeing as China has somewhere around a quarter of the global population in its borders, that means a hell of a lot of IP ranges.
The ads do not bother me. I have been reporting all spam I've seen, it's just been getting quite frustrating to see numerous spam posts every single day.
Usually the spam is already deleted by the time i get one everyday, I have hardly even seen it before.
I guess I'm on too much, haha.
Actually, here is a perfect way.

When a guest member tries to search, there is an image verification string. If we make it mandatory for say, the first post of a new member to have that verification string, the bot is dumbfounded and will be totally useless. It might be a slight inconvenience, but its a ONE TIME thing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

When a guest member tries to search, there is an image verification string. If we make it mandatory for say, the first post of a new member to have that verification string, the bot is dumbfounded and will be totally useless. It might be a slight inconvenience, but its a ONE TIME thing.

That's actually a pretty legit way, if it could somehow be implemented. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem entering a verification every time I posted, if it kept spam away from here.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

These can't be bots because there is an Image Verification in the registration process. I think they're just actual people who are getting paid to post the spam. But if these are bots, then requiring new members to go through the image verification on their first post wouldn't be a bad idea. After all, if they're bots, then the chances of them getting past two image verifications is pretty slim.
See less See more
If they can break one, they can break a thousand.

The only way to take care of the problem is to rangeban China.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't wish that workload on someone paid to do it, let alone a bunch of guys that waste time they should be spending relaxing on a forum moderating it and dealing with this crap...they have enough BS to deal with already, such as bogus/frivolous reports and the odd troll or two.
Quote:

Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
View Post

To be honest, the spam is frustrating me too. I'd love to see the entire country of China banned, as that is where all those program adverts originate from. Although that would entail banning many different IP ranges. Seeing as China has somewhere around a quarter of the global population in its borders, that means a hell of a lot of IP ranges.

Not to mention that it would block all the legit users from china.
See less See more
Well, if its indeeed bots that are posting, then I suppose a verification string wouldnt do anything because they would have already gotten through one verifier. In that case, special circumstances apply. I suppose we could apply a different way of verification.. perhaps instructions.. Display a sentence, and tell the user to pick 3 words in a specific order by numeric instruction. For example:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Please type words 1, 3, 5.

Words 1, 3, 5 will be completely random numbers, perhaps even used in conjunction with a verification image. This would compile three security methods into one. It might be a bit excessive, but it should provide a unique method to combat all forms of bot activity.

In the second case, where it is people doing all the work, doing it once would be annoying, doing that twice would push me over the edge unless I REALLY was dead set on proving to the world I loved spamming.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.