Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! im building a rig for my friend.. he just got layed off =[ but ya! uhmm i put it all together and it will "start", everything will power on (i.e. fans and mobo lights) but no video or beep from the motherboard, i dont think it even starts to access the bios? but.... hmm.. heres the system specs:

Mobo: asus P5KPL-CM Intel 775
Cpu: Intel q6600 b0
Memory: 2gb patriot ddr2 800
Hard drive: WD Green 500gb
Video card:xfx gts 250 core
Power supply: bfg 700 watt
CD drive: Sony Blu-ray

I cant figure out whats wrong T__T hellppppp please

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Try booting with one stick of ram at a time. If it doesn't go to POST, try booting with the other stick. Very simple test, but when I had the same problem (everything powered on) and no display. I originally blamed the card but then someone just told me to rotate in the separate sticks of memory and that's how I came to find out that one was bad.

·
Usually lurking
2,052 Posts
I had this same problem and I tried everything. I swapped out the cpu and realized it was a bad cpu. Problem solved. Your problem is most likely the motherboard or CPU.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deviance View Post
Try booting with one stick of ram at a time. If it doesn't go to POST, try booting with the other stick. Very simple test, but when I had the same problem (everything powered on) and no display. I originally blamed the card but then someone just told me to rotate in the separate sticks of memory and that's how I came to find out that one was bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I had this same problem and I tried everything. I swapped out the cpu and realized it was a bad cpu. Problem solved. Your problem is most likely the motherboard or CPU.
Mkay, ill try these tests =] im pretty sure that the cpu is not bad (just pulled it out of my sig rig last week) and the ram worked a few ago =\\ but i hope its just a bad stick or something and not a mobo.. =\\ dont have anymore money for a mobo *Sigh* Thanks guys!

·
Banned
96 Posts
Many times when I have had trouble booting the culprit has been the ram seated improperly. Reseat the ram, if you have another computer test out the main components and figure out what the problem is. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+ rep to you guys suggestions!

ahh =[ fudge, i tried 3 different sticks of ram and they didnt work gahh, prob seems like a mobo problem? i tried also redoing my cpu install, cmos clear, and video card test on another rig. *sigh* any other options? =\\ Thanks

·
Banned
96 Posts
Sounds like a mobo issue. I know it sounds stupid but just start from scratch and unplug everything from the board, clean off any dust etc. Maybe some canned air in the ram channels and cpu pin holes. Put everything back together and maybe just maybe you'll have some luck. If all the components were working previously might just be a bad connection somewhere. I know the last thing you probably want to do is set it all up again (i usually hate spending a lot of time to diagnose things) but I've had success in the past, if you have another mobo you can test individual components to eliminate problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts