Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to troubleshoot where the source of my speaker static is coming from.

Here is my setup -
PSU - Coolermaster V700
GPU - Powercolor 7950
Motherboard - MSI z97m Gaming
CPU - 4790k
Case - Fractal Node 804
Speakers - M-Audio BX5 Carbon

So at first, I thought it was the speakers having a crappy internal AMP.
- However, when the audio cable is unplugged from my computer, there is no more static.

So maybe the motherboard sound card is the problem?
- I used an external usb sound card (sound blaster SB0300), however I kept getting the same static. When I unplugged the usb from the computer, the static stopped. So even the usb ports are causing interference. So it can't be some sort of power issue/grounding issue (sound card powered via AC adapter).

So I'm down to two things, the power supply or the motherboard?
- When Furmark is run, static can be heard, when prime95 is run, static can be heard. When my computer is at idle, there is little interference.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

Groundloop.
Your PC is grounded and so is your M-Audio, and that creates a groundloop as both of them are connected to the same ground.

Get a groundloop isolator to fix it.
Would something like this be okay? I was reading the reviews and was worried that some frequencies are cut off.

I plugged my speakers into the same circuit, HOWEVER, I plugged the speakers into my Home Theater Power Console/Power Conditioner and the noise was drastically lowered. Although at High Volumes I can still hear the static, but I never listen to it that high. When I plug the speakers into the computer though, I can hear the static as usual. The USB sound card here lowers that sound. So if I were to get that groundloop isolator, I should in theory be able to just plug in the speakers directly into my computer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It may be groundloop as stated already. Make sure that all connections are secure. I am assuming they are connected 1/4in to 1/8(3.5mm)? Also some other options to try to troubleshoot are to disable the front audio ports and any unused line-in/line-out in control panel. Another thing to try if possible is connecting the computer and the speakers to separate outlets

I had the same problem with my BX5's but it was because they were hooked up via XLR and I kept the 1/4 cables connected as well since occasionally I would hook up my ipod to them and it was creating the static noise. I almost went insane trying to figure out what the problem was. I rma'd the video card, power supply, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts