Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836116153" target="_blank">these speakers</a>, and I was wondering what I would notice if I upgraded to say, <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120" target="_blank">these speakers</a> or <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836116142" target="_blank">these speakers</a>. Would the Gigaworks 7.1 be worth the exta $167 for the extra watage and side speakers, or would the Z-5500 be a better upgrade? If so, would I notice much diferance in surround sound quality from my current 7.1 setup?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
The only reason I could see for getting the Logitech's over the Gigaworks would be if you wanted the extra digital goodies. Other than that, the Gigaworks has a higher SNR, broader frequency range, and BASH amp on the sub. <br />
<br />
BASH is a good thing because of the non-conventional way in which it amplifies a signal. To save you the long defination, BASH makes use of switching individual amps on and off to lower heat production signifigantly, allowing for more power output and greater efficiency.<br />
<br />
The upgrade form your current setup will offer bass that will blow your mind. The Inspires are a decent set, but they are lacking in bass response and have lots of distortion most of the time. You'll also have clearer vocals, especialy in lower male voices, due to the increased power and higher quality for the satalites. If you can afford to part with the extra dough, the Gigaworks will treat you very well.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Chipp</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">The only reason I could see for getting the Logitech's over the Gigaworks would be if you wanted the extra digital goodies. Other than that, the Gigaworks has a higher SNR, broader frequency range, and BASH amp on the sub.<br><br>
BASH is a good thing because of the non-conventional way in which it amplifies a signal. To save you the long defination, BASH makes use of switching individual amps on and off to lower heat production signifigantly, allowing for more power output and greater efficiency.<br><br>
The upgrade form your current setup will offer bass that will blow your mind. The Inspires are a decent set, but they are lacking in bass response and have lots of distortion most of the time. You'll also have clearer vocals, especialy in lower male voices, due to the increased power and higher quality for the satalites. If you can afford to part with the extra dough, the Gigaworks will treat you very well.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
What about the diferance between 5.1 and 7.1? What do you think the best computer speaker system for the money would be?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I have the creative s700 set (5.1) and they kick ass. I compared them to the logitech 680's and 5500's and they sounded way better than both. I can't say wether it is worth the extra for the 7.1's but the creative's will give you a better sound.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I would go for the creatives, purely because the logitech's will distort at high volume plus they aren't really loud and lack the mids with the phase-plug designed satellites

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the diferance between 5.1 and 7.1? I currently have 7.1, but the 7.1 Gigaworks setup is over $400. The 5.1 setup is under $300, which is much nicer, but at the same time, its 5.1, not 7.1, and it has less then half the watage (300ish vs 700). Which would be my best bet?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
You would see a huge difference in sound quality, spl, and bass quality from either of the systems your currently looking at compared to your current one.<br><br>
I vote for the Creative S750. Its bigger, more powerful, and is 7.1... I would have bought the S750 when i got my system, but i could only afford the Z-5500's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts