Overclock.net banner

Speaker Spikes?

627 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Soulpatch
Anybody have any experience with speaker spikes? I have a set of klipsch r820f speakers (70lb each) and they sit on carpet. Unfortunately we also have a cat who's a climber. Scratching isn't an issue, it's him leaping onto them and then off. They are tall/narrow and not the most stable. The floor is a typical subfloor under carpeting. So was thinking about building some outriggers and setting up spikes. But didn't know what kind of damage these would do to the sub floor over time. Want them as stable as possible until I can "discourage" him from climbing. 3 cats, he's the ONLY one who does this. The other two couldn't care less. If you've used them with heavy floor speakers, let me know what the long term affects were. It seems that spikes are the most viable way to make a stable footprint. Otherwise not sure what I'll end up doing.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,812 Posts
Have a super loud scary dog bark mp3 ready to fire through those speakers next time the cat jumps...

· Never Finished
2,514 Posts
Air horn 🥳

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Built custom outriggers out of 1/4" steel and equipped them with 5/16" carriage bolts (rounded side down) instead of spikes. Doesn't go through to the subfloor, but definitely created a very stable and solid contact to the sub floor. The speakers weight and the rounded ends compressed everything down enough where tipping is no longer an issue. Saves the floor and the wonderful suggestions. My rott would have knocked them over just as easily since he was 120lbs of puppy.

· Registered
273 Posts
Built custom outriggers out of 1/4" steel and equipped them with 5/16" carriage bolts (rounded side down) instead of spikes. Doesn't go through to the subfloor, but definitely created a very stable and solid contact to the sub floor. The speakers weight and the rounded ends compressed everything down enough where tipping is no longer an issue. Saves the floor and the wonderful suggestions. My rott would have knocked them over just as easily since he was 120lbs of puppy.
Share some pics for the other DIY'ers!

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasn't much to it. Used some 1x1/4" steel stock. Measured 2 inches extra on each side (16") and cut to length 4 pcs. Centered and drilled holes for the original mounting points matched to the mounts klipsch provided. 3/4" from each, centered and drilled a hole for a 5/16" carriage bolt. Picked up 8 of them along with 2 nuts for each one and washers. Painted the bars black, left the bolts silver. The bolts have a domed end so it was obvious to use those as the "feet". Then it was just a matter of installing and leveling. The speakers sit just above the carpet (thick shag) and the weight is enough to give them solid contact to the floor. Compressing the carpet/pad easily enough without damaging the subfloor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.