Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing speculation that Nvidia would release new cards by now back in January and clearly that not being the case where are we at with the GPU market at this point?

"Navi" is slated to bring GTX 1080 performance to the mainstream watch me yawn and not care in 2019... With no indication AMD will bring any higher performance than that over the next ~two years.

Is that where we're at with the GPU market at this point? Nvidia milking everything for all it's worth and AMD not caring about delivering cutting edge performance?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A long time from now.
Are you thinking end of year (Christmas Market) for Nvidia and Feb/March for AMD's alleged 1080 performance for ~$220 before the miners take it to $500++?
'
With Nvidia are we looking at another x04 chip because AMD can't compete with the full size Nvidia die again?

Seems like we're groundhog daying everything since the 6xx vs 6xxx series doesn't it? Anyone else remember Fermi and Nvidia having the release their big die platform before their mid-range chips became $500~?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
AMD has to fight 2 giants at once, we're lucky they even bother with GPUs for gamers.
Nvidia just placed an order for a new batch of Pascal silicon. You can math that one out lol. Nvidia CEO said no time soon at Computex, go figure. Could be a yield issue with their new dies or with GDDR6.
Making GPUs is hard.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
AMD has to fight 2 giants at once, we're lucky they even bother with GPUs for gamers.
Nvidia just placed an order for a new batch of Pascal silicon. You can math that one out lol. Nvidia CEO said no time soon at Computex, go figure. Could be a yield issue with their new dies or with GDDR6.
Making GPUs is hard.
GDDR6? Do we even need GDDR6? I thought 5 was pretty future proof. Didn't AMD come out with a new type of VRAM a while ago for their highest end card? I can't remember the name of it. It was a marketing word, not an official type, so maybe it was GDDR5 with a little extra pazzaz!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Are you thinking end of year (Christmas Market) for Nvidia and Feb/March for AMD's alleged 1080 performance for ~$220 before the miners take it to $500++?
'
With Nvidia are we looking at another x04 chip because AMD can't compete with the full size Nvidia die again?

Seems like we're groundhog daying everything since the 6xx vs 6xxx series doesn't it? Anyone else remember Fermi and Nvidia having the release their big die platform before their mid-range chips became $500~?
Don't know but here's what I do know.

Pascal has been on the market since May 27th 2016. Over 2 years now. Even then you where fighting release date,supply and demand,and sales. Most people couldn't even touch pascal/polaris until about August 2016. Everything was out of stock. The holiday season of 2016 was pretty good however. But everything went wrong after that.

So lets just say even if it is late 2018. You better be first in line. In which that line is growing longer every day. 7nm Vega or whatever won't be as bad. But it most likely come at a later date. Like it has for the last few years. But then again,since AMD has some time. They could release right along side Nvidia and go from there.

I'll tell you what? I wouldn't mind GTX 1080 performance for $220usd.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
GDDR6? Do we even need GDDR6? I thought 5 was pretty future proof. Didn't AMD come out with a new type of VRAM a while ago for their highest end card? I can't remember the name of it. It was a marketing word, not an official type, so maybe it was GDDR5 with a little extra pazzaz!
AMD doesn't make DRAM. But what you're thinking of is their collaboration with HBM, high bandwidth memory, from Hynix and Samsung. It costs a crap ton but AMD had to do it for power budget.

Lower voltages, more bandwidth from GDDR6. Its the next progression beyond GDDR5X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts