Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Stock 2.5 ghz i5, Mid 2011, 21.5" iMac.

Originally 4gb ram, now 32gb.

Originally 1hdd, dvd drive,

Will be,

500gb 750 Evo SSD

2-10tb HDD

And original dvd drive (possible blue ray upgrade).

There is a 2nd hdd kit from iFixit that is on order, and I am looking forward to.

I have heard rumours on random googlings, and can't find out reference to... increasing cache, increasing speeds beyond stock ssd + 32gb + whatever I do in terminal to fix animations etc...

Basically...

I'm looking to maximize the performance of it very very thoroughly.

Goal use:

iMovie, and Final Cut, (Testing/understanding, learning).

Additional use, Data recovery for mac, and other mac setups.

Will have OSX Sierra.

Obviously will have plenty of space to boot camp whatever else I want.

Any suggestions, hugely appreciated.

- Le_Loup

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
The best you really can do is to do an SSD upgrade. If you are feel very adventurous (and highly recommend against it because it is tough since I have done it hundreds of times) is to take out the motherboard. Then swap out the CPU for an i7 vs your i5. That is not for the feint of heart and is tough to do. Getting the heatsink back on is also a pain as well.

The best thing is just use an SSD or better yet take 2 SSDs and use software RAID (not recommended) to get more data speed. Otherwise you are basically stuck with what you got.

You basically maxed that thing out. Cannot really go any higher than what you have to begin with so I would stop while you are ahead.

· Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get that,

And ty,

Just thinking that I would like to max it out, and equivalently...overclock it in the code in a sense.

Has anyone ever overclocked a mac b4? Is it even remotely possible?

Is there any way to increase the cache /. equivalent page file, etc? Place the page files etc or equivilent in 4-8gb of the ram?

- Le_Loup

Literally looking for the ultimate tweaks

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Loup View Post

I get that,

And ty,

Just thinking that I would like to max it out, and equivalently...overclock it in the code in a sense.

Has anyone ever overclocked a mac b4? Is it even remotely possible?
Unfortunately you are not able to. Macs have heavily locked down BIOS called EFI (they have been using EFI long before PCs have been using UEFI). Even if you could, it is HIGHLY not recommend to do so. They just do not have the cooling to keep up with the increased heat generated. Macs themselves are designed around their form, not their function.
Is there any way to increase the cache /. equivalent page file, etc? Place the page files etc or equivilent in 4-8gb of the ram?
There is and there is not. As far as pagefile (in Unix/Unix-like OSes like OSX it is called swap) you can increase it. However, it is not recommended. RAM is much faster than swap is since swap is just that. It is whatever cannot fit into RAM and is "swapped" out and stored temporily on the hard drive. Even a SSD cannot even come close to the speed you get in RAM (8-10k MB/s vs 500MB/s). Other caches such as what is found on the CPU, no. Not a chance. This is physically created when a CPU is made right in the silicon. What you have done to your Mac is really all you can do. Otherwise you are just simply wasting your time and energy. Take it from someone who has been in several thousand macs and knows them well (myself).

As far as OSX is concerned, it is already a rather refind OS and very well optimized. There isn't much you can do in the terms of "tweaking". Trust me on this one, you are going to go down a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. OSX sometimes doesn't play nice when you start mucking with it. Best thign to do is just leave it a lone.

- Le_Loup

Literally looking for the ultimate tweaks

• Rep+
Reactions: Le_Loup

· Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough.

I do appreciate the straightforward clarity. Not many tech's... are that clear and respectful at the same time. Appreciated hugely.

Tally ho ho.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Not a problem. I think what techs should always take to heart is this:

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."

• Rep+
Reactions: Le_Loup
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.