Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here at OCN!

So here's my problem:

1) I recently bought an Arctic F12 Pro PWM & Arctic F12 PWM for my PC.
Since my MB has only one 4-pin header, I connected all of the fans (Arctic F12 Pro PWM + Arctic F12 PWM + Arctic Freezer 7 Pro) on the same header but i cannot control them from Speedfan, they run at 100% all the time.
My MB has one 4-pin header and one 3-pin header: if I connect only the CPU fan + one fan it works fine, but if I connect the third fan it doesn't, the CPU one goes at 100%.

So I tried connecting the third fan to the 3-pin connector and it works, but it's always at maximum speed, I think that's because the 3-pin connector cannot regulate the fan's speed.
I thought that maybe I have to change some advanced option in Speedfan, but which?

This are my PC specs:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
CPU cooler - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
VGA - ATI HD 5770 Sapphire
MB - Asrock P43R1600Twins-110dB
RAM - G.Skill DDR2 800MHz 2x1GB
PSU - Corsair VX450
Case - Cooler Master Elite 330
S.O. - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

2) ATM I am using only the Arctic F12 Pro PWM (in the rear) + Arctic Freezer 7 Pro (CPU), if I lower the speed to 5%, the rear case fan increases its speed, why? As they are on the same connector, they should go the same percentage or am I wrong?

3) In the instructions of the two Arctic fans, there is writtent to connect the yellow cable to the 3-pin connector, in this way I can read the fan's speed. If I connect all 3 fans, which yellow cable should I connect? The rear fan's one or the front fan's one?

4) Which is a good delta value for my fans?

P.S.
Sorry for my bad English.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
The yellow wire is the rpm reporting line. Connect that to whatever mb fan header you want. That fan header will control nothing, but it will report the fan's rpm to your mb software.

I am not sure Speedfan will control pwm fans. It requires many settings just to control voltage fans.

IIRC the AC's PWM sharing makes the add-on fan report its rpm's to the cpu fan header. The cpu fan header provides the ground (black wire), 12v (red wire) and the 5v pwm control signal (other colored wire) to both fans.

As for the odd behavior, I cannot explain it, other than perhaps it is a safety feature of your mb.

Please fill in your system specs so we can help you better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
The yellow wire is the rpm reporting line. Connect that to whatever mb fan header you want. That fan header will control nothing, but it will report the fan's rpm to your mb software.
I know, but having two fans with the yellow cable and only one 3-pin header, which one should I connect? I think it depends on which fan I decide to connect directly on the 4-pin header.

Quote:

I am not sure Speedfan will control pwm fans. It requires many settings just to control voltage fans.
It controls them fine, the only problem is when I connect the third fan.

Quote:

Please fill in your system specs so we can help you better.
Done, thanks for the help.

·
M2N Fan
2,861 Posts
First you need to check your bios for the settings in the pic below.

The default setting is disabled and will run the fans at 100%.Set to enabled.

Then make adjustments to the other two settings, target temp and target fan speed.

Then it should throttle up and down for you.

Since all three fans you have are different speeds,I would suggest you plug the cpu fan(2500rpm) in first to the cpu header,then plug the F12 pro(1500rpm)into the first fan and the rpm wire to the mb,then plug the F12 pwm(1350rpm) into the second fan.

That should read the cpu fan as cpu fan and the F12 pro as sys/mb fan.

Hope that helps

Good luck

Gyro
LL

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Your problem is Speedfan, it never works for anything. Since you have an Asrock board, download OC tuner from their website. Its a nice little utility that tells you temps, voltages, etc, and lets you change fan speed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
First you need to check your bios for the settings in the pic below.

The default setting is disabled and will run the fans at 100%.Set to enabled.

Then make adjustments to the other two settings, target temp and target fan speed.

Then it should throttle up and down for you.
I forgot to mention that I already had tried but it doesn't work.

Quote:
Since all three fans you have are different speeds,I would suggest you plug the cpu fan(2500rpm) in first to the cpu header,then plug the F12 pro(1500rpm)into the first fan and the rpm wire to the mb,then plug the F12 pwm(1350rpm) into the second fan.

That should read the cpu fan as cpu fan and the F12 pro as sys/mb fan.
It's not possible because the CPU fan wire doesn't have an extra fan connection, that means that I must connect one of the case fans to the 4-pin header.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfajita View Post
Your problem is Speedfan, it never works for anything. Since you have an Asrock board, download OC tuner from their website. Its a nice little utility that tells you temps, voltages, etc, and lets you change fan speed.
Even this doesn't work.
I've noticed that when connecting all three fans I can control all of them (through Speedfan or Asrock OC Tuner) except the CPU one which runs at maximum speed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I buy a fan controller, will it be the same? Are they manual control or automatic?
Is my PC compatible?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I have 2 F12 and a Asrock AM3 motherboard. Connecting only one F12 works fine, but with 2 the motherboard can't control the CPU fan.
I asked for support at the Artic website and had no reply.

Maybe a problem with Asrock boards?

ps. where u from?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by diegot View Post
I have the same problem. I have 2 F12 and a Asrock AM3 motherboard. Connecting only one F12 works fine, but with 2 the motherboard can't control the CPU fan.
I asked for support at the Artic website and had no reply.

Maybe a problem with Asrock boards?

ps. where u from?
How many fan connections does your motherboard have? Mine has one 4-pin and one 3-pin. Even without the third fan I have low temperatures, so it's not that bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts