Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was testing a Corsair HX850 PSU and had decided to return it but it is still in my case, and my EA650 is next to my desk. Murphy's Law: I spilled a small amount of Diet Dr Pepper into the EA650. It has been out of the machine unplugged since Tuesday night, but I know voltage can still linger, so I am afraid to open it up to clean or whatever.

I thought perhaps I should toss about a cup of water in there, slosh it around and get as much out as I can by letting it drain upside down, and let it air dry for a *really* long time, and then let it air dry some more, before even testing it.

Is it worth it? It's sad to have ruined a really stable solid PSU... but it would be much sadder if I went to test it in my system and it very quickly fried the rest of my components.

Worst scenario, I'll get a replacement PSU and still return the Corsair since it's way beyond what I need now. I trust the wisdom here, what should I do?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
For one, don't pour more liquid into the power supply.

I say go get some eletric parts cleaner and clean the power supply that way.

Whatever you do, make sure the power supply is completely dry before pluging it in.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Hooboy, damned if you do and damned if you don't. You'll void your warranty one way or another so I suggest you bite the bullet and crack 'er open and see what gives. Wear rubber gloves and be VERY careful not to touch anything that even looks like it could be electrically live.

If you find the spill didn't go onto any components, color yourself lucky.

If it did, I defer to the electrical gurus here who know how to clean things without making it even worse on sensitive components.

ETA: It sounds like perhaps this electrical cleaner stuff criminal mentions may not require you to open the PSU.

·
Bigger is Always Better
1,115 Posts
I'm not an expert on power supplies but I used to clean keyboards that way...... rinse them out with warm tap water and let them dry overnight. It should be fine. You mentioned that just a small amount spilled in it, if that's the case, you might not even have to rinse it out but I would do it just to be sure. It should be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality
View Post

Hooboy, damned if you do and damned if you don't. You'll void your warranty one way or another so I suggest you bite the bullet and crack 'er open and see what gives. Wear rubber gloves and be VERY careful not to touch anything that even looks like it could be electrically live.

If you find the spill didn't go onto any components, color yourself lucky.

If it did, I defer to the electrical gurus here who know how to clean things without making it even worse on sensitive components.

ETA: It sounds like perhaps this electrical cleaner stuff criminal mentions may not require you to open the PSU.

Agreed, I'd open it and just clean all the sticky parts, wait for it to dry, then fire it back up. Should work just fine if you can get all the DP off.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd take it to a professional; opening a psu and poking around without knowing what you're doing is a very bad idea

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have opened PSU's in a shorter peiod of time than how long you had yours there. It should be perfectly safe to open, if you are comfortable in doing so.

Of course it would void any warranty it has.

I don't think putting more liquids (water) in it would be a good idea. Open it up & clean it out with alchohol.

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by criminal
View Post

For one, don't pour more liquid into the power supply.

I say go get some eletric parts cleaner and clean the power supply that way.

Whatever you do, make sure the power supply is completely dry before pluging it in.

This ^^ vv
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...=PPC:364256907

Or some equivalent of it. But I wouldn't risk the water

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Adding more water to the equation will not help. Open it up, clean it with a lint free cloth, perhaps gauss pads, keep it open, let it dry under a light bulb or sun light, for about 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You'll at least want to discharge the primary caps before screwing around. I can find a guide on how to do that for you.

You could use 70%+ isopropyl alcohol to clean the PSU. Nonconductive, it evaporates fast, and it will probably dissolve any gunk that's left over from the pop.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neDav
View Post

I have opened PSU's in a shorter peiod of time than how long you had yours there. It should be perfectly safe to open, if you are comfortable in doing so.

Of course it would void any warranty it has.

I don't think putting more liquids (water) in it would be a good idea. Open it up & clean it out with alchohol.

Noooo, no. No. It might be safe. But the primary capacitors can hold a lethal charge for days. They might have discharged by now. They might not have. Not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

You'll at least want to discharge the primary caps before screwing around. I can find a guide on how to do that for you.

You could use 70%+ isopropyl alcohol to clean the PSU. Nonconductive, it evaporates fast, and it will probably dissolve any gunk that's left over from the pop.

That's what I was thinking. IIRC those capacitors hold charge for quite a while, like the CRT monitors I think. Find out how to safely discharge them. Then rinse it good with something like isopropyl alcohol and let it dry

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hmm since Dr Pepper is an acid, maybe you should ad vinager to balance the equation.

Ok seriously. Just wait a day or so and try to start it, if it works you won, if it doesn't then you messed up. You open that PSU and it still has a charge and you will be tasting aluminum foil for a few days.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
No problem.

There are two ways to discharge the primary caps. One is more fun, but it kills the power supply so I'm not going to bother with it.
The way you'll want to do it is this:

Take a 100W lightbulb. No lower wattage or it might burst. It might burst anyway, so wear goggles. Get two lengths of wire, heavier the gauge the better, within reason. You want the wires to be insulated, and it might be a good idea to wear insulated gloves, just in case.

Actually, just do what this guy says:

A 100W bulb should be enough for most sub 500W PSUs. You have a 650W actually, so you might want to get a higher wattage bulb to make sure it doesn't burst. Anyway, when you close the circuit the bulb with light up for a few seconds, then dim. The capacitor is then harmless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts