Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GPU aficionado
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am doing a project for AMD for their new R9 Nano GPU coming out. I was contacted by them to make a custom case. They had 2 requirements... They wanted it small as possible and with the highest performance possible. I went one step further and going to try to make it light as possible using real Carbon Fiber.

So this is what I have for now in the terms of sketches. They are done in paint because frankly I don't know how to use solidworks or sketchup and I don't have the time to learn either of them right now.

For this project I am using a ASRock X99E-ITX/ac LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard with Intel 5960X chip , Silverstone SFX 600 watt power supply , Dynatron R27 CPU cooler , Kingston 500 GB M.2 PCIe , 2 sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2666 ( This mini itx board only has 2 slots ) , and 4 Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Case cooler.

The whole case is going to be made out of carbon fiber with just a tad of acrylic on the 2 arches for a lighting effect. The acrylic will be sandwiched by 2 pieces of 1/16 " Carbon Fiber. The case will have the RGB remote LED's that a lot of use use to edge light the acrylic. Also the NANO logo will be cut out of the front of the case and a piece of acrylic will be there and LEDS behind it to make the NANO logo also light up with LEDS.

Here is a picture of the Carbon Fiber that I will be ordering next week once I get my final dimensions drawn.

Here is the couple sketches I have so far. These are very rough drafts.

Preliminary measurements is this thing will be 11 " X 5.5 " X 7.5" . At least the main computer housing will be. The arches on the side will measure around 9 " from the feet to the top of the arch.

Here is a picture of the new R9 Nano. I am under NDA on this project but I am allowed by AMD to share the build with everyone and I am allowed to show pictures of the Nano card but I am not allowed to talk about performance, architecture , release date or the date my NDA is up.

Here is me with all the components taking some measurements.

Sent Enterprise email about moving to sponsored case mod section. I have paid 29.00 through Paypal.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,652 Posts
Interesting
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
Subbed, however, i'm a bit concerned about that CPU cooler... I have a bad feeling that its going to provide terrible performance for that CPU...
Best possible performance...what's wrong with 2 AIO coolers for the CPU and GPU with both rads stacked together for push/pull?

·
GPU aficionado
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update....Carbon Fiber will be here possibly tomorrow or Saturday but most likely it will be here Monday. Its scheduled to get CNC cut on Tues or Wed. Case will be put together on Thursday. I will update with more pictures this week.

Here are some more pictures until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Subbed, however, i'm a bit concerned about that CPU cooler... I have a bad feeling that its going to provide terrible performance for that CPU...
Best possible performance...what's wrong with 2 AIO coolers for the CPU and GPU with both rads stacked together for push/pull?
CPU cooler does incredibly well for what it is. 33 c at idle and 55c at load @ 4GHZ on a 5960X.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmy View Post

Update....Carbon Fiber will be here possibly tomorrow or Saturday but most likely it will be here Monday. Its scheduled to get CNC cut on Tues or Wed. Case will be put together on Thursday NDA ends on thursday. I will update with more pictures this week.
Fixed that for you

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmy View Post

Update....Carbon Fiber will be here possibly tomorrow or Saturday but most likely it will be here Monday. Its scheduled to get CNC cut on Tues or Wed. Case will be put together on Thursday. I will update with more pictures this week.

Here are some more pictures until then.

CPU cooler does incredibly well for what it is. 33 c at idle and 55c at load @ 4GHZ on a 5960X.
That looks like it can fit in my shoe box - and my shoe size is not every big either...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.