Overclock.net banner

[Sponsored] Beast Of Nature | ITX Scratch build in wood!

5513 Views 36 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Jokot
Hello,

Its time again for a new build and this time I am going to use my favorite material, wood! After lots of planning I decided it was going to be another ITX build that would still fit at least one 240mm radiator and long graphics cards if thats what I choose to go with.

The plan is to use closed watercooling loops for both CPU and GPU to make future upgrades easier. Ive seen quite a few wood builds over the years but nothing that really felt like me so this will be my version, should also be quite obvious what case I was inspired by ;)

Huge thanks to bequiet! and Asrock for helping out with the hardware for this build!

And here are a few 3D renders

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Amiga 500
11,601 Posts
Subbed ! :thumb:

· BSME
780 Posts
looks nice, love scratch builds

· Senioritis Member
8,657 Posts
Subbed. I want to see how you bend that wood (or will the top and bottom loops be cut from solid stock and glued to the sides?)! I like the clean lines and symmetry.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· I dunno what I'm doing.
1,505 Posts
Looks like a larger Hadron, I like it.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is how I will be bending and making the top and bottom "handles"

I need something to bend the thin sheets around so that was part 1 of the process and that was easily done with some MDF scrap pieces.

Here is the template rounded and covered in tape to avoid the glue from sticking.

Here is the material I will be using.

I also made a outer part for the template by bending 5mm plywood, that will also help equalize the pressure along the curve.

And now ever thing is ready to be glued together and clamped down, the grain of each sheet is going against each other to get a stronger final product. You can also see the template was made with "shelves" to make clamping easier.

Here is a better picture of the layers.

And I also made a second one the next day.

· Senioritis Member
8,657 Posts

· Amiga 500
11,601 Posts
Looking good :thumb:

· Senioritis Member
8,657 Posts
Veneer stock yeah thats right, its always hard to find right names for these things :D
No worries. Veneer will be much easier to bend. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More work on the handles.

I made grooves in the handles using the big router in previous picture.

Now just cut both of those in half and I will have my four handels.

And a few pictures without tape.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.