Overclock.net banner

[SPONSORED] Build Log | The Pocher Lambo

13833 Views 40 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  theemin

Hello OCN. Today I will start the build log of my upcoming build, "The Pocher Lambo".
This build will not be built inside a standard Case. Intstead it will be built inside a model kit car, from the company Pocher, that makes model kit cars in scale 1:8
The kit car is a model of the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4.

The idea is too make a discreet, yet decently powerful computer, that can sit inside your livingroom, looking more like decoration then a computer.

Main components

Motherboard:
MSI Z97I GAMING AC, Socket-1150
CPU:
Intel Core i5-4690K
GPU:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866MHz 16GB (2x8 GB)

The main components might be changed. Also, it's undecided what PSU to use.

Plans & to-do's

- Finish building the model
- Create a plate to mount motherboard on, inside the car
- Mod a pci-E riser to look aesthetically pleasing
- Make a mounting for GPU
- Install LED-diodes in front and tail lights that lit once starting the computer.
- Sleeve cables in matching colors
- And more will come

Sponsors
L9uKsId.jpg

VE9ygpT.jpg

Starting pictures:

The large box

A small fraction of all the parts

A lot of the pieces are made out of metal and screwed instead of glued

More of the parts, mostly plastic

You need to see it IRL before you realize how big this thing is

I hope you will enjoy this project just as much as me.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Small update

Pci-E riser ordered
Motherboard stand-offs ordered
Acrylic plate to mount the motherboard on is ordered
Paint for some of the car parts ordered

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And some pictures.

Added white highlights to the interior

A closer look

The dashboard and steering wheel

The amount of details in this kit is stunning

Hard too see, but inside coming along

Photos taken late at night, so the quality is not the best

Most of inside done.

The back of the car, where the engine should go. Probably where I mount the graphics card

This is cool, fully functional suspension

Info on the Aventador

Engine parts painted in a more glossy silver, then the standard grey

The silver is very fitting

Protection is important kids

This is where the engine should go. But instead, I'm planning to put my graphical engine there

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As you see, I have not assembled the seating or actual engine, as I know these are in the way for the coming components.

The motherboard will be mounted on an acrylic plate in the "cockpit" of the car. The I/O-panel will face towards one of the doors, so you can reach the USB by opening the door.
In the back I plan to put the GPU which will be a tight fit, but I do believe it's possible. Some of the GPU might go all the way into the cockpit.

The PSU is the big problem. With extreme luck it might fit in the front compartment. But that's doubtful. If I cannout put it there, I will make a wooden "pedestal", which the car will be placed on. Inside the pedistal I will put the power supply. I will try to make the pedestal elegant and discreet. No ridiculous carbon fibre wraps or similar.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motherboard is ordered.
Free shipping so no reason ordering everything in one package.

An MSI MSI Z97I GAMING AC, Socket-1150.

The reasons are simple.
The 24-pin is connected on top if the motherboard instead of on the side like most mini-ITX boards.
Also, it fits the orange paint job more then most other boards.

· Registered
2,455 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a small update.

Because the glue takes time to dry, it takes a bit of time assembling the car.
But today I got the Diodes!

Red, white and orange. Red and white will be used.
Cheap of Ebay. seems to work. Hopefully I can attach them nicely to the front and back of the car.

Also expecting motherboard, stand-offs and an acrylic plate next week.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small update:

Motherboard has arrived, and just fits inside the car. In worst case scenario, I will have to remove the front panel of the car, but hopefully not.

Some pics because why not?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A small update.

The car is going along, it goes slowly, and I apoligize. The wheel suspension and so on was a real challenge.
I am just starting to make the board that will hold the motherboard, out of a 3mm acrylic sheet.

The front seems to be perfect for an SSD to be mounted, and the back will most likely hold the graphics cars.
I believe I heard that the GTX 970 will come in an mini-ITX size, and that would be perfect size for me.

Some pictures for your enjoyment:

This little thing is a life saver when building a kit like this. I'm a quite strong guy, but some of these screws are to hard to tighten by hand. That's were my little friend Bosch comes in. A screwdriver of this sort is recommended if building in a kit like this.

Fully woking turning wheels. Fully working suspension. I'm very impressed with this model kit.

Planning for an SSD to be mounted here.

The size is almost perfect for an SSD

And the rear part with exhaust pipes.

If they make a graphic card that small in the GTX 900 series, which I've heard, it will fit perfectly!

And lastly, the sheet for the motherboard to be mounted on. meassured . (Fun fact, that ruler on the side, is from my time in elementary school, it's about 14 years old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post

Know if your going to have to chop the car yet? And looking good so far, cant wait to see more updates
biggrin.gif
I might have to remove the steering wheel and dashboard, but no cutting needed yet.

But things might change. We'll see.

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Looking good. Getting my wheels turning for a build too. Never thought of using something like this before.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

Looking good. Getting my wheels turning for a build too. Never thought of using something like this before.
Thanks.
Yeah, I like the idea of putting systems inside more unique stuff instead of normal cases. It makes the computer more discreet yet beautiful
smile.gif

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel I need to update this.

Currently the build stands still, due to waiting.
I'm waiting for the graphics card to be released here in Sweden, which should be by the end of this month.

But I've went to my old high school (Sweden high school is very different from USA and UK)
Were I studied to become a custom car painter.

I talked to my old teacher and I mixed up som paint.

Arancio Argos as it's called, it's an Orange color from Lamborghini and supposedly the one used on the car itself.

The flash made the paint look red, but I assure you, it is orange, and seems to be matching the car just fine.

I'm gonna use it in the graphics card cooler as well as the motherboard to match it too the car better.

The paint is 2 layered. An orange basecoat, and a transparent coating with pearl in it.

Pictures too spice this otherwise boring update a bit.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I await the GPU which will release here in Sweden this week, or next week, I thought I atleast could test the paint.

So I removed the MB-cooler, removed the detailes on the cooler, sanded them down a little bit, painted white, then the orange base, and the pearl top before some clearcoat.

In the pictures, it's hard to see, but the color (Arancio Argos), almost matches the car perfectly.
It's a bit hard to see in the comparison pictures though, due to the shape and size of the cooler details.

The small red stripe next to the MSI logo, will remain red for now, due to lack of good masking tape.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some components ordered.

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CL9 1866MHz VENGEANCE PRO
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX 4GB
SSD: Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 250GB

Inet, a company here in Sweden, were kind enough to give me a discount that was very appreciated. They also sponsor me with free orange and black sleeving. When the components arrive, the build can continue, which I look very forward to.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Parts got in today.
Pretty much everything but the CPU.

So let's show some pics
smile.gif

The package contained these boxes and bags!

Inet has there own sleeving. Let's see if they hold the same standard as MDPC which I'm used too

SSD and RAM

PSU, always had Corsair before, so this will be a new experience.

Small yet powerful. Perfect for the car!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, just painted the RAM-modules to match the car.
The process is simple.

Remove the parts that will be painted, sand down with 600 grit or more, white base color, then the two orange colors, one with orange base, the other with a slight transparent orange pearl, and lastly clearcoat.

The parts on the RAM that I painted was very easy to remove. Just grab and pull.

I also am very happy with how well the color I mixed, is matching with the car.
As you will see in the pics.

· Registered
2,455 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A short update.

I had too do something that was (mentally) very hard. Cut into the frame of the car to make room for the graphics card.

I also had to make a small cut to the Graphics card that wasn't even near as hard for me.

Next step is assembly. I will try to fit everything and make some mounts to the components.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.