Overclock.net banner

[SPONSORED] Build Log | The Pocher Lambo

13833 Views 40 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  theemin

Hello OCN. Today I will start the build log of my upcoming build, "The Pocher Lambo".
This build will not be built inside a standard Case. Intstead it will be built inside a model kit car, from the company Pocher, that makes model kit cars in scale 1:8
The kit car is a model of the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4.

The idea is too make a discreet, yet decently powerful computer, that can sit inside your livingroom, looking more like decoration then a computer.

Main components

Motherboard:
MSI Z97I GAMING AC, Socket-1150
CPU:
Intel Core i5-4690K
GPU:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1866MHz 16GB (2x8 GB)

The main components might be changed. Also, it's undecided what PSU to use.

Plans & to-do's

- Finish building the model
- Create a plate to mount motherboard on, inside the car
- Mod a pci-E riser to look aesthetically pleasing
- Make a mounting for GPU
- Install LED-diodes in front and tail lights that lit once starting the computer.
- Sleeve cables in matching colors
- And more will come

Sponsors
L9uKsId.jpg

VE9ygpT.jpg

Starting pictures:

The large box

A small fraction of all the parts

A lot of the pieces are made out of metal and screwed instead of glued

More of the parts, mostly plastic

You need to see it IRL before you realize how big this thing is

I hope you will enjoy this project just as much as me.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post

Ouch :/ At least the cut part isn't massively obvious. On the bright side the paintwork looks amazing
thumb.gif

Planning on paining the gpu casing or leaving it black? I cant help but think that red highlights would look awesome.
I do plan on painting it. But once I get the GPU in place, I was thinking of seeing if I could attach any of the models original engineparts to the graphics card, too make it look more integrated with the actual model.

· Registered
1,472 Posts

· BSME
780 Posts
subbed for sure

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hello, sorry for lack of updates. Due too holidays, and a strict budget, the build has been slow, have been waiting for som acrylic plates to mount the GPU with.

But here's an update for you fellow clockers.

I am currently fitting the mounting for the motherboard inside the car. It's mounted on a piece of acrylic.

The mount will be painted as soon as it is fit. The gpu mount seem to be a lot more complicated, so have to do some brainstorming about that, but shouldn't be too hard.

Som pics to feast your eyes on:

As you see, it fits perfectly in there. Will have to cut som into the dashboard, or RAM and potentially CPU-cooler will not fit very well.

· Registered
281 Posts
Just a suggestion for you, for the mobo, would it be better mounted 90 degree anti clockwise to allow the wires to travel out the back? and as for the GPU mount, you could get a back plate, countersink some holes on the gfx card side so the screws are coming out the back, then put a couple of nuts on back of back plate to secure the bolts.. this way you will be able to put the holes exactly were you want them.

also spotted this if it gives you an idea

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie123 View Post

Just a suggestion for you, for the mobo, would it be better mounted 90 degree anti clockwise to allow the wires to travel out the back? and as for the GPU mount, you could get a back plate, countersink some holes on the gfx card side so the screws are coming out the back, then put a couple of nuts on back of back plate to secure the bolts.. this way you will be able to put the holes exactly were you want them.

also spotted this if it gives you an idea
As of right now, the motherboard is pretty much on the best way it can be. The 24-pin is going on the front, Pci-E going on the back so the riser can reach it.

And yes, that build is somewhat an inspiration.
But unlike that build, I got an actually scale model, and not an empty shell, which makes it harder to build in, as it's not an empty shell. It has a fram and eerything, which gives less room for components...

· Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiders View Post

But unlike that build, I got an actually scale model, and not an empty shell, which makes it harder to build in, as it's not an empty shell. It has a fram and eerything, which gives less room for components...
I know yours is a lot more detailed, just thought you may not have seen it and it might give you some ideas..

On another note for the SSD, you could go down the m2 route, and use a sata adaptor for it, that would give the SSD a smaller footprint in the build.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So, the thought was too start sleeving, since I'm currently "innovatively dry" and don't know how to mount the graphics card yet.
So, I looked at the cables. Loves that they are all black like Corsairs PSUs are.

But then I meet problem 1.
These heatshrinks are like rock. You cannor simply do a cut, then pull them apart. Of course, it can be considered both good and bad that they are like that...

But lastly... Never encountered this before.

Most cables have these. They don't look like resistors, and I lack the knowledge to tell what they are, or how to sleeve over those in a good way. But MB-cable as well as GPU cable has them. I bet the CPU-cable do too.

Maybe you know what they are and how to do a good sleeve over them? Otherwise I need to either get an extension (which means tons of extra cable) or just imporvice and hope everything don't blow up. Any tips fellow Clockers?

G

·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiders View Post

So, the thought was too start sleeving, since I'm currently "innovatively dry" and don't know how to mount the graphics card yet.
So, I looked at the cables. Loves that they are all black like Corsairs PSUs are.

But then I meet problem 1.
These heatshrinks are like rock. You cannor simply do a cut, then pull them apart. Of course, it can be considered both good and bad that they are like that...

But lastly... Never encountered this before.

Most cables have these. They don't look like resistors, and I lack the knowledge to tell what they are, or how to sleeve over those in a good way. But MB-cable as well as GPU cable has them. I bet the CPU-cable do too.

Maybe you know what they are and how to do a good sleeve over them? Otherwise I need to either get an extension (which means tons of extra cable) or just imporvice and hope everything don't blow up. Any tips fellow Clockers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirli View Post

you can cut them off no problems
thumb.gif
I happen to be using the same PSU for my build. I called just EVGA and their tech support said "Do not cut them of the PSU will not work". Now, I'm not sure if he knew exactly what he was talking about, but cutting them off is not an issue? I assume you've done this before? I should also mention when I asked why they were there he didn't know...

· Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_CL View Post

I happen to be using the same PSU for my build. I called just EVGA and their tech support said not to cut them of the PSU will not work. Now, I'm not sure if he knew exactly what he was talking about, but cutting them off is not an issue? I assume you've done this before? I should also mention when I asked why they were there he didn't know...[/quote

yes, i've sleeved quite a few of these psu's with caps and resisters on them. i believe they are there to maintain power efficiency maybe @WiSK can shed more light

G

·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_CL View Post

I happen to be using the same PSU for my build. I called just EVGA and their tech support said not to cut them of the PSU will not work. Now, I'm not sure if he knew exactly what he was talking about, but cutting them off is not an issue? I assume you've done this before? I should also mention when I asked why they were there he didn't know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirli View Post

yes, i've sleeved quite a few of these psu's with caps and resisters on them. i believe they are there to maintain power efficiency maybe @WiSK can shed more light
Okay thanks for the info! + rep to you sir!

Also, awesome little project @Andiders! Looking forward to seeing it complete!

G

·
Jacob at EVGA got back to me and this was his response;

"Those capacitors help a bit with ripple, but are not required and can be removed for sleeving."

So happy sleeving!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.