Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes thats right! Another lutro0 mod. This was a rush mod with a short deadline which I have already missed - but thats ok. It just means that I can take my time and do it right.

_.-( Sponsors )-._

A special thanks goes out to the following sponsors for making the project possible!

_.-( Personal Introduction )-._

As many of you know my name is Lutro0, most know me for my sleeving guides (http://www.youtube.com/user/lutro0) and for running Lutro0 Customs. (https://www.facebook.com/Lutro0Customs).

My mentality has always been to help as many people with sleeving and modding as I can because I learned everything I know about modding because people took the time to create detailed logs of their work. I run my logs all the same, they are meant to be learning materials for upcoming modders. I try to share every single bit of info I can and I will always answer your questions when I see them.

I am very honored to call OCN my home forum and I spend allot of my time donating my time in the cable and sleeving sub forums with my guides and FAQ. As well as answering as many questions as I can. I am also a team captain for the team comp for [email protected] on OCN. I have been hugely involved in folding for a while now and will continue to be as long as I have a computer.

All in all, I do my best with what I have and I try my best to leave no detail unnoticed no matter how small it is.

_.-( Sponsors )-._

This mod was commissioned by NZXT initially. They wanted a mod done with an unreleased case, so before I even accepted the challenge I had no idea what the case looked like what so ever. NZXT also sponsored a ton of fans, cooling, and other goodies.

MSI was the next sponsor to jump on board to make this possible. They were gracious enough to send me a MPower Max Motherboard and two 760 Hawk GPUs. Without them this mod would not have been possible.

Kingston was also enthusiastic about helping. They sent the HyperX Beast Ram 32GB and HyperX 120GB SSDs that I will be using in this Mod.

Cooler Master pitched in a CPU cooler (A v6 SE) and a CM Storm keyboard and mouse. Sadly the CPU cooler did not fit for its purpose so I am not able to use it. But I am ever grateful for their support.

My buddy Ron Lee Christianson of Blue Horse Studios donated his time and tallent with the airbrush to paint my side panels. He did a amazing job on a super quick turn around.

_.-( Project Name )-._

The name of this project follows my typical Greek naming style. This time the name is Elektron which simply means Electricity.

_.-( Concept )-._

The concept for this build is a simple one. Since I had no idea what the case looked like I had no plan until I got it. But once I did I knew I wanted to do a clean mod with a motherboard tray, great cable routing, lots of dremeling, a ton of fabrication including a new front panel - modding a all in one cooling system into the front, and finally sleeving that keeps the whole theme together.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
_.-( Case Introduction )-._

The case for this mod is a NZXT Source 530. Upon first setting my eyes on this case I realized it was one of the most versatile cases I have worked on. There is a place for everything and plenty to mod.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_.-( Build Parts )-._

CPU: Intel I7-4770k
Case: NZXT Source 530
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60
Ram: Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB
SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB
HDD: 2X? WD Velociraptor 300GB
Motherboard: MSI Mpower Max
Graphics Cards: 2x MSI 760 Hawk Edition
Fans: NZXT FZ 120mm and 140mm LED (white)
Power Supply: NZXT Hale82 850W
Sleeving: Lutro0 Customs Teleios Sleeving
Optic Drive: Custom Slot Loading Drive
Controllers: NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry, and NZXT Grid

_.-( Sponsored Parts )-._

This section will share the parts that my awesome sponsors have blessed me with for this build. I will be slowly adding each sponsor as their parts arrive and I find the time to take proper photos of the products. As I have stated before my philosophy on sponsorship is that the products that were given need a proper display, and a good amount of thanks needs to be given.
Quote:
NZXT

NZXT Also is sending a Kraken X60 and have already send a Hale 82 850W PSU but the psu is already taken apart for sleeving. =D
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
CoolerMaster

CM was also kind enough to send me a V6 SE CPU Cooler, however it did not fit into the build but thanks are still given.
Quote:
Blue Horse Studios

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part 1: Optic Drive!

Here is the combo I wanted to use for the slim line - It is just a slim line with a bracket.

Stickers getting removed.

Prep for Painting!

MOAR PREP!

And drying in our shops paint room after getting some primer and a textured black paint.

And here is the finish product, the finish matches the case perfectly and the custom front panel will cover the bay.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part 2: Custom Front Panel Making!

Front View, this I want to change!

Got the Panel off and on my workbench!

Mesh removed, comes off easily with the tabs.

Some basic measurements for the panel.

Making the panel in Corel for the laser cutter.

Here is the panel back from the laser cutter! Also you can see where the plastic front was dremeled out.

And here is a test fit, Sadly I need to do some more tweaking - not to mention if you noticed I spelled Elektron wrong... hehe

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part 3: Top Panels & Motherboard Tray Making!

Here is the front panel, this need to be modded.

Top cut out, the rough cut does not matter as I have a custom panel for both sides, Also I have the MNPC Tech Grill.

Here is a look of it together.

And after hours of work here is the motherboard tray, all cables will be routed though it. Sadly this measured off again so I will have to fix it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Subbed! I really like this case, even if it is a rehashed Phantom. It fixed all of the problems the Source 210/220 had.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the huge support. I have alot more work to post I will try to get it up asap. Our shop has been insanely busy with a ton of projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillThePancake View Post

Subbed! I really like this case, even if it is a rehashed Phantom. It fixed all of the problems the Source 210/220 had.
There is a ton of tiny features in this case that just ice the cake. Its an easy build system and an fun modding case. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in buying it.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Step 4: Sticker Removal

Ram with stickers...

And poof Gone!

Video Card with stickers!

And poof Most of them gone!

I will not post a ton of these photos as you should get the idea here. If you are wondering what to use to get rid of the residue left over by the stickers I use two methods depending on what surface its on.

1: Metal - If your sticker is on metal I use a 3M adhesive remover that is some pretty strong stuff but does not mess with paint.
2: Plastic - If your sticker is on plastic, for instance a fan - I carefully peel the sticker off making sure that at least some of the adhesive is on the sticker if not all - then I use the sticker to remove the rest by placing it on the adhesive and taking it off over and over until it has all of it off.

Why take the stickers off you might ask?

I remove all stickers as I want to keep my color theme impeccable, also the stickers can draw you away from the rest of the build and man does alot of the hardware out there look awesome without stickers.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Step 5.5: Test Fit & The Start of Sleeving

Here is the test fit of the hardware, I do this so I can properly get the color theme that I want.

Here is the Hale 850W Half Modular PSU. I have alot of work to do on this. All of the wires that I will use Yellow on need to be replaces with white wires, This means snipping the wire and then soldering in a white wire. Also I like to replace all of the wires that are not 16AWG, this makes it totally uniform. Also I need to make extensions for everything to have it all neat and because I am using a guided motherboard cover. Also all of the modular cables need to be custom made. Lastly I need to make the 8Pin EPS split into two 8Pin EPS cables as I am using up all of the rest for the video cards.

Also if you plan on sleeving a Half Modular or Non, you need to void the warranty and take the top off like I did above.

I went a few steps further as well. I replaced the white fan to a clear version I will be using in the rest of the case - this meant using the connector that plugs into the pcb of the psu and soldering it to the fan and shortening the fan wire.

Then as you can see I am using MNPCtech Billet Grills in different places on my mod - the psu will get one as well to complete the look.

Here is the color theme I have settled upon.

I am using Lutro0 Customs Standard 16AWG Wire found here: https://lutro0-customs.myshopify.com/products/lc16awgstandardwire25ft

Also the sleeving I am using is Lutro0 Customs Teleios Sleeving found here: https://lutro0-customs.myshopify.com/collections/pet-sleeving

1 - 20 of 169 Posts