1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project GEM

(Green Extreme Machine)

The rig in its current state, updated last on 3/30/16

HS7SCHf.jpg

V6jQYw8.jpg

rnwSmEl.jpg

When I look at most of the other computers out there, it's pretty much the same across the board- Black, red and gamery, few wires to be shown, very menacing and aggressive. They try to cover up the hardware with these plastic covers and shields, and the watercooliong loops are almost identical, with all hardline tubing and massive reservoirs. In short, they don't show off the cool custom work done, they try and cover up the amazing hardware and craftsmanship. I said screw that.
I wanted to show off the work that I did. I spent countless hours on sleeving the cables, as well as doing these sweet mods to the case and components. I didn't want to cover up the amazing hardware PCBs and the super cool components. I also wanted it to look, well, a bit more natural. All the other builds are very dark, very futuristic and hardcore gamer style. So, I chose for light greens, browns, and whites to contrast with the charcoal grey and silver components.

Here is my work. Enjoy.
smile.gif

Mods

- Laser engraving of the SSD
- Laser engraving of the bottom pass through plate
- Watercooling of the system (not sure if this counts as a mod)
- Sleeving of the Noctua fans, as well as custom extensions.
- Fully custom sleeving of the 24 pin, PCIe power, etc (done by me)
- Sleeved SATA data cables
- Modified radiator mound, modified to hold a 360mm slim radiator
- Modified 1200mm fan mount
- Modification of the plates that hold up the reservoir

Components

CPU: Intel 5820k (no OC yet) - ACQUIRED Best bang for buck x99.

RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair dominator RAM (4x 4gb sticks) -ACQUIRED Looks 20x cooler than any other DDR4.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS x99-m ws - ACQUIRED The best MATX X99 platform otherboard.

I really like the X99 "look", with the RAM on each side of the CPU. Plus, when I was buying the components, Z97 was already kinda old, and skylake was about a year away so I just went with x99.

STORAGE: 480gb PNY CS1100 SSD - ACQUIRED Well, its an SSD. Plus, it had the grey color I was looking for.

MORE STORAGE: HDD 1TB BARRACUDA 7200RPM HDD- ACQUIRED
Godda go fast, and have lotsa extra space.

PSU: EVGA 750w G2 GOLD PSU - ACQUIRED
EVGA makes some pretty awesome stuff, and this has "eco" mode on it, which is silent mode.

Nothing special.

GPU (s): GTX 750ti (EVGA SC) - ACQUIRED
These where pulled from my mining rig, and are placeholders until later.

CPU COOLING: Watercooling - ACQUIRED Aircooling is for wimps.

COOLING: 5x Noctua NF-S12As - ACQUIRED Look nice, and preform even nicer.

CASE: CaseLabs S5 (Grey/white 2 tone color scheme) - ACQUIRED
I have been doing months of research on the CaseLabs series, and since I wanna have my computer on my desk, I want nothing but quality and beauty looking at me. I'm spending all this money on some awesome hardware, I don't wanna put it all in a pos case. It is also one of the few cases that showcases the GPU cooler, which I absolutely love for some brands.

WATERCOOLING COMPONENTS:

1x black ice 360mm radiator - ACQUIRED

WATERBLOCK: 1x EKWB supremacy MX(?) - ACQUIRED

Fittings: 6x bitspower compression fittings - ACQUIRED

PUMP/RES: 1x EKWB pump/res combo - ACQUIRED

1x EKWB DCP 2.2 pump- ACQUIRED

1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing - IN ACQUIRED

Coolant- Distilled water - ACQUIRED

So all of the watercooling stuff was given to me. Lets say I got super lucky and got something like 3 pounds of fittings and 3 radiators, among some other stuff. A guy that goes by the name of James Haladus gave me some stuff, and a massive thank you goes out to him. He won a Nvidia modding competition a few years ago, here is the link. http://www.nvidia.com/content/nvision2008/case_mod.html

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
OO Ye ill be the First to Sub Yehaaa. Going to be nice and good experience for you. We will be here to help you on the way. Take your time and do it the way you want it. Water cool would be very cool if you can do it. See how you go on the budget side of things.
thumb.gif

SUBBED for the Ride.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazG View Post

OO Ye ill be the First to Sub Yehaaa. Going to be nice and good experience for you. We will be here to help you on the way. Take your time and do it the way you want it. Water cool would be very cool if you can do it. See how you go on the budget side of things.
thumb.gif

SUBBED for the Ride.
Thanks for the sub man! Excited to see you here!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneymanMike View Post

I'll get in too!
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

Im down.

TCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monk View Post

I'm in.
wave2.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerComissar View Post

Thanks guys!! Lovin the support!

I plan on being back on Sunday, once I get back Ill do some more research on what materials to get for sleeving. All I know is that there's a heat-shrink and a heat-shrink-less method, both look cool, I guess, suggestions are nice
redface.gif

·
Gamer and Watercooler!
4,129 Posts
Isn't the wait just the longest ever? I ordered my SMA8 on June 24th, and it feels like it's been decades lol. I can't wait for it to come. I have all my radiators, and my one pump is coming next week. I may add another pump later. Keep us updated man. As for the cables, it all depends on your color choice overall. You shouldn't worry about that fill the case is all done

·
Registered
690 Posts
Subscribed.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Hey bud here are some sites you can go and look for custom sleeving. You can get all you need from them.
smile.gif

Shackmods Middiy Icemods Lutro Customs
Thanks for the sites, I meant I need to do research on what kind of sleeving to use, what method to sleeve the cables, ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteezyTN View Post

Isn't the wait just the longest ever? I ordered my SMA8 on June 24th, and it feels like it's been decades lol. I can't wait for it to come. I have all my radiators, and my one pump is coming next week. I may add another pump later. Keep us updated man. As for the cables, it all depends on your color choice overall. You shouldn't worry about that fill the case is all done
Ahaha yeah man, I'm worried I'll run out of stuff to do to keep you guys occupied for 2 months, I already can't wait:) I have a terrible case of "when is it gonna get here?!?!", so this one may give me an aneurysm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayan View Post

Subscribed.
smile.gif
Thanks man
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking at sleeving methods, types of sleeving used, heatshrink vs heatshrinkless, everything. I've decided to go with heatshrinkless, as it looks cleaner and less messy (imo) than heatshrink. Also, I have decided to go with Mainframe Custom's Telios line of sleeving. Cheap, good reviews, and the colors really pop on those babies.

I want to sleeve the 24 pin, EPS, and the PCI-e cables as well as the SATA and 3 pin/4 pin fan cables. I like the look of a mix of colors opposed to a single color for 24 cables. I don't like the symmetric design either, so it will more than likely be random. I couldn't do a symmetric design even if I wanted to, as the OEM cables twist and turn and they are not linear runs from one connector port to another.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

yup same here i also prefer cables with out the heat shrink. They do look better and would recommend them
thumb.gif
hahah thanks, I'm excited for my stuff to arrive
wheee.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitg90 View Post

subbeddd
thanks man, It looks kinda boring right now but I PROMISE, more pictures!!

·
Gamer and Watercooler!
4,129 Posts
My order # is 14036 and I ordered on the 24th. They must've had a crap load of orders in by the the 30th. With that deadline, I have a feeling we will both be waiting at least 2 months
frown.gif

As for the cables
thumb.gif
I'm currently using silverstone sleeved extensions, so I think I'll make my own extensions when I'm finished with my build. I've never done it before, but it seems like a lot of fun. I need to watch some tutorials on how to do it.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts