Discussion Starter #1
Sponsored by:
Alphacool

Aquatuning

Parts used:
Pump and reservoir:
Alphacool Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi reservoir + Eispumpe VPP755 PWM

Fittings:
Alphacool Eiszapfen 13mm HardTube compression fitting G1/4 for plexi- brass tubes (rigid or hard tubes) - knurled - deep black
Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plug G1/4 - deep black
Alphacool Eiszapfen L-connector rotatable G1/4 outer thread to G1/4 inner thread - deep black

GPU waterblock:
Alphacool NexXxoS GPX - Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 M03 - incl. backplate - black

CPU waterblock:
Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal - Intel/AMD

Hard tubing:
Alphacool HardTube 13/10mm plexi clear 60cm - 4pcs

Radiators:
2x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm

Fans:
4x Alphacool Susurro Fan - 120 - Black / Blue Edition - 1700rpm ( 120x120x25mm )

Alphacool HDX - M.2 SSD M01

Parts already owned:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Gene VIII
SSD: 256Gb Toshiba m.2 Sata
Data SSD: 2TB Samsung 850
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K i7-6700K
32GB DDR4-2400MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hooray! The parts have arrived and I also have my G4 case so the fun can begin!

In honor of Alphacool, I'm changing my colour theme to black and blue. That way I stay true to Alphacool's colours. I also figured that Mayhem's blue pastel would look awesome.

Therefore, I will have to look for a black/blue motherboard. Does anyone have an idea which one?

I will probably go for the Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi mini-ITX board. It's completely black and small enough to fit easily in the G4 case :).

·
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.
1,278 Posts
Subbed for a G4 build!
thumb.gif
Also you mite wanna change the title of the thread then?...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I cut away the old motherboard panel. I just used a dremel and the EZ speedclinic metal discs.

Afterwards, I removed the rivets that hold the panel in place that supports the PSU etc. I will probably cut it so it only supports the PSU and not use the rest.

Then I used a cheap/ ghetto method to mount the motherboard to the side panel: using nuts and washers. It does the job, but it isn't exactly what I had in mind. That's why I ordered an M3 drilling tap, that way I can use 6mm motherboard standoffs. I'll see how it goes when the kit arrives
smile.gif

I'm fairly happy with the results. I will just have to look for a motherboard IO panel to see if it fits.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today I tried to see how all the pieces will fit in the case. I just put them in without any screws and drew some pencil lines around the major parts.

It turned out that the case still closes with everything in place. However, the GPU touches the rubber around the fans from the radiator so it's a very close fit... I can either try to take out the GPU and lie it down on the first radiator (idea from the sour apple build) or I can try to use slim low profile fans instead.

we'll see. I also bought a rivet gun and some more drills because the chinese crap that I was using died on me after drilling the 5th motherboard standoff hole...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been playing with Sketchup to find a different layout for my watercool setup.

To the left is the layout that I've tried today, to the right is an alternative layout that should allow better airflow and more space for the motherboard / GPU blocks. While typing this I just realized that I could even attach the short side of the PSU instead of the long side, that way there would even be more open space.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realised that the top of the case isn't completely usable since the locking mechanism is in the way :/. I'm thinking of a way to trim the mechanism but still keep it working.

On a sidenote, I ordered these standoffs:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-M3-Brass-Insert-Female-Thread-8x10mm-Insulated-Standoffs-for-Motherboards/32615518501.html

Last thing I did is change the motherboard that I'm testing with, since I have the IO plate for that one. Good news, it fits
biggrin.gif
. I just have to "clean it up"
smile.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got something done over the weekend: I installed the waterblock on the GPU. It looks so much better now :)

And I'm so excited now that this fellow has arrived too ^^

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Subbed
thumb.gif

·
BSME
773 Posts
subbed, like the plan so far

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the standoffs arrived from china
smile.gif

I took off the motherboard heatsinks because I wanted to paint them black / blue.

I ordered Full Dip, a liquid vinyl solution which I thought was similar to Plasti Dip. The result was terrible. The only good thing is that it was easy to peel off. In other paint jobs I've always needed to use a primer, which wasn't the case here. There appeared to be some kind of chemical reaction which resulted in small air bubbles and an overall "dirty, unclean" look.

Come to think of it, you probably need to use rubbing alcohol to remove a layer of chemicals used in the factory to forge the heatsinks, no idea.

This is what it looks like:

I spent 3 hours peeling it off and eventually resorting to sand paper to really get in the small parts. That's how I got the idea to just sand away the red ROG paint and to take out the plastic ROG logo.

And to solve the hole in the south bridge heatsink
tongue.gif

And I installed the CPU block today
smile.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My new parts arrived today ^^

I then installed the pump on the reservoir:

The most important part, does it fit?

Well, it looks like it does ^^

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now that I've got all the necessary parts, time to prep the case
smile.gif

First I took of the side panel to make my life a bit easier. I bought a rivet gun so it should be no problem attaching it again afterwards
smile.gif

I marked with a sharpie where I need to cut away a part of the locking mechanism. I need this to allow the upper radiator to sit there:

Saftey first ;-)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what it looks like so far^^.

I stripped off a little of the original standoffs to make them 8mm to see if everything would fit better now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yay! The summer holidays have started so finally some more time to post some updates ^^.

First things first: I had ordered some more parts that have arrived. A huge amount of Phobya stuff for the custom sleeving (heatshink, pins, pin removal tool, ...).
I also received an antistatic work mat. It makes your workplace look so much more professional
smile.gif

The Eiszapfen quick release connector: I will use this for the drain and the fill port.

And of course there has to be some light ;-). Notice in the background that there's a mosfet cooler. Unfortunately it doen't fit my motherboard.

Drilling the holes for the 240mm radiators. So much easier with a template!
https://mnpctech.com/images/companies/3/mnpctech_rad_template_15mm.pdf

It fits!

Well, these don't seem to fit that well, I'll have to adjust the holes a bit here...

The 8mm motherboard standoffs have arrived from China^^.

Driling out the holes for the motherboard.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts