Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NU0qFei.jpg

Hello guys! Ever since finishing the R40 Engineering Station I have had an itch to start a new project, so I will cut straight to it. The case I will be building in this time is a prototype of the upcoming HEX GEAR R80, a full size ATX case with plenty of space for a LOT of hardware, as I will do my best to prove.

This build proves as a "test build" in the prototype case to make sure that it has the thermal capacity, and space that is needed for an ultra high-end build. And what better way to do this than to cram all sorts of expensive, powerhungry and hot hardware into it!

I will be keeping this build very clean, as it serves as a statement of what you can do with basic tools in this case (so not crazy water distributing plates, sorry!)

I would also like to give a huge thanks to the sponsors that has provided parts for this project, and helped make it one of the most powerfull PC's possible to build. I would also like to thank the team from Official Nordster for the Rhino artwork in the banner.

Lets get some specs on the table:
  • Case: HEX GEAR R80
  • CPU: Intel i7 5960X
  • Graphic cards: 4 x Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan X
  • OS drive: Intel 750 ssd 1.2TB PCIe
  • Secondary drive: KLEVV Urbane 480 gb ssd
  • Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS
  • RAM: 64 GB KLEVV CRASS DDR4 ram
  • PSU: Corsair AX1500i
  • Fan controller: Aquaero 6
  • Watercooling: EK blocks, radiators, reservoir & pumps
  • Fans: EK vardar
  • Fittings: Bitspower
  • Sleeving: E22
  • Tubing: E22 solid tubing
Without much more writing, lets get started!

A56geYR.jpg

A few renders of the case. The case follows many of the same ideas as the R40, but is just bigger so it can handle a full ATX system.

5vGr3nC.jpg

The case also supports either a 360 + 480 mm radiator, or two 420 mm radiators (if you get some extra radiator mounting plates). For this build I will be using 60 mm thick 120 mm radiators as I believe it will be more than enough to cool the hardware used.

GNPCKD4.jpg

The case is as mentioned a prototype of the upcoming R80 tower. Essentially a R40 but just with more space for stuff! Don't mind the grey paper still on the accent pack, it is as mentioned still a prototype. The case is build to be able to accommodate 8 PCI slots, and as you can see on this picture can easily handle 4 way SLI / crossfire.

8VVjCgR.jpg

Some of the main hardware that will be used for this mod. A pretty hefty combo!

Xi3P13C.jpg

However big the motherboard might be, it still looks small with all the cards put onto it.

U9DrlMO.jpg

These cards are just INSANE! I plan on overclocking everything when it is done, to see how far I can push the system.

n2U1LHZ.jpg

This motherboard means business and have the specs to back it up. Really looking forward to getting this booted up!

z9IEuqD.jpg

Lets try not to bend any of these before I get the CPU in place shall we?

gqwkBB2.jpg

One of the first things I did was to drill a few holes in the motherboard mounting plate that comes with the case. This plate is made from 1.5 mm aluminium, so it is pretty easy to drill into and mount whatever you need on it.

UlqXUfq.jpg

Always guide holes when prepping to drill. This way the drill will not run off and make a big fat scratch in your work part.

dFuam5I.jpg

Laser guided drill!

I5pJm52.jpg

And done! In this picture you can see the plate compared to a standard R40 mounting plate.

More to come soon!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow that is looking roomy! I'm impressed how easy it is to just drill and mount what you need on the plate, nice touch
thumb.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXElbc View Post

Wow that is looking roomy! I'm impressed how easy it is to just drill and mount what you need on the plate, nice touch
thumb.gif
Thanks! and yeah, it is super easy to just pop out and drill a few holes in, compared to other cases where you have to puzzle a drill into the case itself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, next up I want to show off a few more parts that are going into this system, as well as reveal the color scheme - Blue & grey.

o7BbQlm.jpg

As I will watercool the entire build (except for ram and motherboard as that does not really give off a lot of heat) there is bound to be a LOT of watercooling stuff!

iL2D8GF.jpg

I choose the new EK RES X4 (I think it is called?) because I wanted to see how their glass reservoirs where, and oh my god it is so frigging BIG! And also quite well built. A warning for people wanting to use the built in LED strip, put it on something so you can dimm it down as it is as bright as a THOUSAND suns!

7os3yhE.jpg

As you saw in the previous update, I will be using 3 of these bad boys. These are PWM controlled D5 pumps, and I plan on running them at setting 1 at all times, hence why I am using 3 (I could most likely get away with just using one or two, but again, I wanted to show how much I could cram in)

aOHIhcm.jpg

I choose to sleeve these in a bit of a funny way. I made the cables very short, so I can just run them trough the motherboard mounting plate, and from there directly to either a power source, or a controller.

flEeZvD.jpg

Only one of the pumps has all 4 wires sleeved, as the other two do not need the RPM signal. They will be hooked up to the same PWM plug, so multiple RPM signals would just mess things up.

SQIfCyL.jpg

All three sleeved. I am not a big fan of sleeving pumps, but it has to be done, and I think I nailed it quite well.

odkKSpr.jpg

To control the watercooling loop for this build, I went with the Aquaero 6.

NfmwbZ1.jpg

One of the only reasons I choose this over the cheaper aquaero 5, is because of the full PWM channels. One will be for the pumps, another for the top fan cluster, and another for the bottom fan cluster.

kS4ofmH.jpg

Now, I do have a few problems with this controller. First off, it is a VERY expensive fan controller, and this extra heatsink is probably not needed, but it is available, and my initial thought is "hey, it is a fan controller, it will get hot, so I better cool it the best I can". Why is this piece of alu not included in the 200$ fan controller!?! I mean, come on!

zpJTB3s.jpg

My second problem with it is that there is no "XT" version like there was of the Aquaero 5, basicly a version without the screen. I do not need the screen, so now I have an expensive screen that I will never use -_-

G6N4NrM.jpg

Third and most annoying! This little component on the PCB is not put properly in before it was soldered in place. The little "bend" tabs are to hold this component in place while soldering, they should not be that high up.

My previous aquaero 5 had the same problem, so I think this is a general problem with these products, so watch out before you cram your heatsink down on top of it.

jcOmeW8.jpg

Other than that, it looks great, and I love it to bits. Best fan controller you can get, and have more software options than you could ever need.

Bj7PLvi.jpg

Everything mounted on the mounting plate.

q7xFPQO.jpg

As mentioned before, the lights that comes with the EK res is SUPER bright, so I will be running these to the aquaero, and dimm them down. Sleeving those ends was quite interesting as I had to file off some of the alu on the holder it sits in for the sleeved cables to fit.

xcFZQk7.jpg

The cables from the pumps goes into extender plugs that sits firmly in place in the mounting plate (made by drilling a hole, and filing it square)

Wfj6GR9.jpg

This little cable was a proper pain to make. It is the cable that will join all the 3 PWM signals from the pumps, and go into one fan plug. That way when the fan controller tells the pumps what speed to run at, they will all 3 run at aprox the same speed.

s0eTf3u.jpg

Everything mounted on the rear. You will notice that the bottom pump has another cable that goes into the fan controller. This is the RPM signal so that I can read the pump speed, and since all 3 is going to run at aprox the same speed, I do not need this one from the other two pumps.

The downside of this is that the two top pumps could theoretically die on me without me being able to see it in the software, but what are the odds?

zSbP3V2.jpg

Closeup of the splitter.

jaaVPrW.jpg

And how everything looks from the rear. I still need to mount the cable from the reservoir lights though.

More to come soon!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking very clean! Looking forward to the rest to come! I wonder how the pumps would look mounted with the tops facing out of the case rather than towards the top...it would be like a water fall of sorts
wink.gif
thumb.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Looking very clean! Looking forward to the rest to come! I wonder how the pumps would look mounted with the tops facing out of the case rather than towards the top...it would be like a water fall of sorts
wink.gif
thumb.gif
I think it would look great, but the connectores could become an issue. If I was only using 2 pumps, it would not be a problem though. This is where the old square pump tops from EK are actually better. But I think the rubber material on these makes them way quieter (I have yet to test this though)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post

I think it would look great, but the connectores could become an issue. If I was only using 2 pumps, it would not be a problem though. This is where the old square pump tops from EK are actually better. But I think the rubber material on these makes them way quieter (I have yet to test this though)
Could be done in theory with 3 holes cut out the size of the pump base so it would slide through and then be secured by the bottom pump cover being used as leverage to hold it into place...then again its just in theory and we don't live in a perfect world haha. I do see what your saying though and the nice fan hub would have to be mounted elsewhere unfortunately. Lots of possibilities in the R80
thumb.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Could be done in theory with 3 holes cut out the size of the pump base so it would slide through and then be secured by the bottom pump cover being used as leverage to hold it into place...then again its just in theory and we don't live in a perfect world haha. I do see what your saying though and the nice fan hub would have to be mounted elsewhere unfortunately. Lots of possibilities in the R80
thumb.gif
The problem with that is that then you have the pump mounted directly to the metal without any vibration dampening material between which will cause significant resonance noise in the system. You should always have some rubber or foam between your pump, and the chassi.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

The problem with that is that then you have the pump mounted directly to the metal without any vibration dampening material between which will cause significant resonance noise in the system. You should always have some rubber or foam between your pump, and the chassi.
Nothing a thin rubber or foam gasket couldn't fix
wink.gif
Looking forward to the rest of the build! Have something similar planned actually, although for the R40 when it's back in stock...and not as many pumps
tongue.gif
Keep up he good work p0Pe!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:

Actually it should be fine, the new EK pumps have a rubber ring around the pump to help with this. Yes it would be helpful to have another foam or rubber gasket to the chassis but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Good work on this build so far. that wiring is crazy good!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggu View Post

Actually it should be fine, the new EK pumps have a rubber ring around the pump to help with this. Yes it would be helpful to have another foam or rubber gasket to the chassis but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Good work on this build so far. that wiring is crazy good!
I think LUXELbc's idea was to take the pumps out of this gasket, hence why I was against the idea:) And thank you! More is to come:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsj86 View Post

Hex gear r80 our you reading my mind. I need this in my life
Haha thanks! And yes you do!

Just a quick update in regards to the radiators I will be using.

kXQWVSw.jpg

I have always been a fan of the rule of thumb that you need a 120 mm radiator for each component, and then one extra to quiet things down. For example, for a cpu/gpu setup, I would go with a 360 mm radiator, for a dual GPU + CPU I would go with a quad setup etc.

82stlCJ.jpg

When it comes to radiator capacity more is always better, up until a certain point where you do not really get anything in return. Yes you can buy a HUGE case and put 4 480 mm radiators in there, but in this build I would like to prove that a 480 + a 360 is MORE than enough to cool an ultra high-end build without the need of 3000 RPM fans.

wdIrhjM.jpg

Bottom of the case (Or top, depending on how you mount the fan plates) supports a 480 mm radiator in 60 mm thickness. You can get a thicker one as the limiting factor is the PCI bracket, but the radiator can be pushed forward so it steers clear of this. But if you go with 4 dual slot graphic cards, these will hit a thicker radiator.

So it is actually possible to go push/pull with the bottom radiator.

NnMzhJB.jpg

Top radiator cannot be more than 60 mm thick, as the motherboard itself is the limiting factor. So no push/pull config for this, unless you go with a 40 mm thick radiator.

mDCDNsj.jpg

Everything mounted. The case is starting to get filled up, and I have not put in the last "big" part - the PSU.

More to come soon!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Is it the same mounting size for radiators to be hiden under because it would be nice to see the r80 go up to say 45/50mm clearance as I love the look with the hidden rads.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsj86 View Post

Is it the same mounting size for radiators to be hiden under because it would be nice to see the r80 go up to say 45/50mm clearance as I love the look with the hidden rads.
The hidden radiator size is the same as the R40, so around 30-34 mm.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts