Overclock.net banner
921 - 940 of 961 Posts

· Registered
463 Posts
Good golly! You and this mod are truly inspirational! I can only hope to mod half as well as you oneday.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
D: No updates yet?

· Premium Member
24,908 Posts
Hi everyone,

To all who have followed this work log for several years, or those just seeing it now for the first time, I have some unfortunate news to share. We received word tonight that, in 2011, Jesse Lang (aka Langer) was stricken with illness while traveling abroad and, as a result of that illness, passed away. Though Jesse is no longer with us, I believe I can confidently say that he served as an inspiration to many through his masterful craftsmanship, and has presumably left as much of an impression on those who knew him in the real world as those of us who could only know him through the internet.

The purpose for my posting this news, in addition to bringing closure to those who had questions about Langer's whereabouts, is to announce that among Jesse's requests was that his friend and coworker, posting under the username "SaibotC" here, should complete the now-legendary PROMETHEUS project. SaibotC is in possession of the build's remaining components, and I've transferred ownership of this worklog to him. He'll be joining this thread shortly, and working to finish the project according to Langer's original plans.

Thanks for reading, and may Langer rest knowing that his project, and legacy, shall live on.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
....another great one....has left us. The sadness in my heart has deepened. My best of condolenses go to Langer and his family.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
Hello All-

As many of you know, last year, Jesse was forced to place this project, as well as many others, on hold while he was called to head overseas to consult for work. While overseas, Jesse fell ill of e. coli poisoning. Unfortunately, Jesse Lang passed away before he was able to resume his project, leaving millions of people on the forums wondering "where has Jesse gone?". I was contacted by his lawyer, who notified me of his death and informed me that Jesse had specified that I take over his project and complete his creation.

My name is Tobias, I, like Jesse, am a Canadian modder that has always had a passion tweaking computers, I am not a stranger to basking in the glow of computer monitors, even as a child. That's why, when presented with the opportunity, I was very excited to take part in the development of PROMETHEUSCU. Jesse was a technologist, and it became evident very soon after I met him that he had a gift. A gift for taking something mundane, something you would not even look twice at, and reinventing it in a way that would blow any person's mind. I was fortunate enough to get to know him, and later became his apprentice in the User Experience Design world. He introduced me to the idea being to align my interests, technology and creativity, into a possible career path. Jesse was, and will forever be a huge influence in my life. It would truly be the least I could do to fulfil his request and rebuild PROMETHEUSCU in his honor. Unfortunately, over the past two years in storage, various parts of PROMETHEUSCU have been either lost or pulled for other projects. It is my intention to fulfil Jesse's wish of completing PROMETHEUSCU by building upon the remnants of the case and original design plans.

I wish to humbly request that you, the community, would follow me in my quest to honour Jesse's memory through the completion of one of his last great works.

If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me via PM.

Best regards,

Tobias

· Registered
1,098 Posts
WOW!

I wish I would have seen this build sooner as I think I could have learned a lot from Langer and hopefully with through reading through this worklog and others of his I can learn something even after his passing.

It is always sad to hear of someone's passing on the forums. Especially when it was someone who seems to have inspired so many to do modifications to computers as it is a true art form which he truly was a master.

E. Coli is a nasty thing and something that is contracted all too often. Food safety has come a long way but I believe is still a ways to go.(I am assuming it was from food as that is the main vector that I know of)

My prayers are with his family.

SaibotC, I would be honored to have a friend such as you who would carry on my dreams of a build in my honor like you are for Langer. I know finishing this build of his may be difficult for you emotionally and I praise you for what you are taking on.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #933 ·
I will relay your kind words to Jesse's family whenever I get the chance.

I finally got a chance to take an inventory of all the parts. Save for 2 copper panels and 1 CF, which I am in the process of scanning into digital format, here is PROMETHEUSCU as it stands:
prometheuscu_parts_all1.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all2.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all3.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all4.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all5.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all6.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all7.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all8.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all9.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all10.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all11.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all12.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all13.jpg

prometheuscu_parts_all14.jpg

prometheus-concepts-R7A.jpg

prometheus-concepts-R7B.jpg

What is missing:
-PSU
-Feser XChanger Triple 120mm
-Secondary system: Pico-ITX motherboard to be attached to the 7" LCD on the front
-Tertiary system: AMD Geode based system running pfSence (for router, firewall, wifi card)
-Arduino board that controls all LEDs
-Second GTX 260(first one is being tested for stability)
-Hard disk/solid state disk drives
-Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon

To be done:
I plan to CNC the front panel out of copper, the original panel was damaged and I also plan to make a couple of revisions to it (add space for onboard audio amplifier, IR receiver, thunderbolt port, etc). Furthermore, as a tech is a little dated, I have plans to throw some newer components in it, but that will be arranged at a later date.
Jesse had access to quite a number of unique workshops with tools that are not exactly common. In light of this, progress will be a little slower than in the past, simply because I will have to seek out a machinist in order to begin any tangible work. Recently, I have started an internship at a local interactive design agency, they are working with materials and technology that lives on the bleeding edge of the industry. They have offered to introduce me to a couple of machinists they have worked with in the past, and hopefully that will be a good place to start.

Thanks for reading, more to come in the near future.

· Premium Member
22,581 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your magic
smile.gif

· Registered
42 Posts
@SaibotC I'm new to OCN and this thread but I just wanted to say thanks for carrying on Langer's work. From what I've read of this amazing thread he seemed like a great guy and a modding genius. I'm glad someone is picking up his amazing project where he left off. Can't wait to see this epic build continue
thumb.gif

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #939 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spRICE View Post

This is very sad news. This is one of the first mods I followed on OCN. I'm looking forward to what's in store though!
Too bad I can't see the pictures though
tongue.gif
Thanks guys!

Fixed the pictures.

Current progress: I'm in talks with a local precision machining shop to nail down a price to get some of the cutting and bending work done.

Hopefully I will have a real update in the coming weeks.

921 - 940 of 961 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.