Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 414 Posts

·
Mouse reviewer
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review of updated Zowie BenQ Lineup

As many of you already know Zowie recently joined up with BenQ and now releases updated versions of their whole current lineup. In received the new models from rexflo.net and in this review I'm going to take a look at the updates to the mice, namely the ZA11, FK1 and EC1-A.
Major changes include usage of Omron switches for the main buttons and new scroll wheels with 16 notches per revolution as opposed to the previous 24 notches. Is that just a step back to the old wheel design where 16 notches were the standard for Zowie wheels? Lets find out.

On a sidenote I also received the new G-SR in all black with stitched edges and the new G-TF X, but those will be in a separate review, probably after christmas. New G-SR is the bomb though.

Boxing

The new boxing is now all black, contrary to the completely white boxes before. There is also a rough outline of the shape on the box now.

FE9NxFW.jpg

FE9NxFW.jpg

1uo2UQW.jpg

Weight & Shape

Shape is exactly the same, weight seems to be too.

JsHyouG.jpg?1

Below are some pictures of the updated models and their respective weights.
7YV0Mqw.jpg

dacrXUz.jpg

cD4iWTj.jpg

ESCgjyX.jpg

CUVOSz4.jpg
JcSQFWH.jpg

06bYngd.jpg

802lth1.jpg

BFO4sfY.jpg
YiFQPeu.jpg

TEOhWWC.jpg

yV1bg68.jpg

qQlJRtG.jpg

3n5WFOd.jpg

uUUSSCR.jpg

Sensor / Performance

All I'm going to say here is that the performance is exactly the same as with the latest previous iteration of Zowie mice with 3310 sensors. So in my opinion it is excellent. PCS well over 5 m/s gives me just what I need for my low sens style. So no in detail MouseTester screens and so on here. If you're looking for them I'd kindly refer you to my ZA11 review.

Buttons/Switches and Scroll Wheel

Now comes the interesting part. Because the Huanos were a long time gripe for many people with the Zowies, supposedly they were "much harder" to spam than Omrons, gave people pain and what not else. For me some Zowie models were indeed harder to spam consistently, mainly the FK series, but others like the EC were always nice and easy to click fast repeatedly. So what is the influence of the switch from Huanos to Omron D2FC-F-7N (20m)? Little to me. At least in terms of click resistance or feeling. However they sound different, the Huanos have a slightly deeper sound while the Omron sound lighter. I think that is in line with people who already soldered Omrons into their Zowies before. Most of the click resistance comes from the shell design, so don't expect much lighter clicks. Here are some pictures of the Omrons in the new EC1-A

8SW7TYg.jpg

ZChBHMm.jpg

63fWI6s.jpg

as you can see, the wheel click and the sidebuttons are still Huanos, they weren't changed in design, so the forward sidebutton on the EC1-A still has quite a bit of pre-travel.

Did the switch to Omrons influence the click delay in a positive way? Surprisingly it's the opposite, although the new buttons are only marginally slower than the Huanos in the latest ZA11.

D65xZxo.png

As you can see they still can't compete with the implementation of Logitech mice. It's a bit sad, yet for me their latency is in the "okay" range. Will be interesting what @uaokkkkkkkk or @qsxcv will measure with their testing rigs, if they even care for these mice.

Now the wheel seems to be changed in some aspects at least. Of course they reverted back to 16 notches from 24, but at least for the EC1-A wheel something else changed. Yet it looks just the same as the one in my EC1 eVo CL. Below are pictures of the new wheel and a picture of the upper shell that holds the wheel down.

8RF9ijs.jpg

ChuafLv.jpg

EXbvpYA.jpg?1

I haven't figured out why yet, but somehow the mouse wheel sits more firmly in the shell than it did in my CL. There was a bug with missed scrolls that could easily be reproduced on the old version by pinching the wheel upwards while scrolling. If you did that the scrolls would not register at all. I can't do that with the new BenQ EC1-A, so at least on my unit there are no missed scrolls due to the design. I tested that quite extensively.
The wheels on the FK1 and ZA11 were good too on my units, rather firm and with no squeaking or rattling. If that is always the case or if mine were just good examples of course still needs to be seen. Considering that I was lucky with most of my Zowies apparently, because I never had a bugged wheel, I'll reserve final judgement, but 3/3 with good wheels is at least a perfect start.

Build Quality and coating

As to build quality I'd say very good once again, they feel sturdy without rattling, edges from the mold or some other flaws. The design flaws in regards to shell deformation are of course still in, but as long as you don't push hard on the joint section of the button piece the buttons are firmly in place. So in my eyes all my units are great and if you had Zowies before you know what to expect.

Customization Software

None as always. Hate it, love it, don't care. Those seem to be the choices.

Is an update worth it? Conclusion

Well is it? If you already own the latest generation of Zowie mice with reduced button latency then in my eyes it is not. Unless you really really want a black wheel and a red logo, but otherwise I see no benefit over previous models. There are no downsides to the new models either, other than the change of notches on the wheel which is more of a preference. It never bothered me for gaming, but for browsing the 16 notch wheel is a bit annoying imo.

So I'd say: if the sheer thought of Huanos was holding you back from trying a Zowie, although the shapes were tempting, you can now go ahead and try them. If you already have a Zowie and are happy with it then there is no need for you to replace it immediately.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks for the review! Seems like what was expected. Surprised to see they've mixed up with the old switches as well as omrons. Maybe a way of clearing old stock? Or do you think there's another reason?

Think I'm going to grab an EC1 maybe as I fancy a change in mouse (purely for the sake of it of course)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan View Post

Laughable. I never understood that huanos critism. Much harder to spam is a Joke.
Huanos are bad and stiff, G100S is heavy with the weight, lot of weird voodoo round these parts.

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Yeah I'm passing with no need to upgrade. I prefer the Huanos in my ZA12 for FPS and scroll wheel isn't an issue for me. Glad I bought two, one for work and home, I got me a back up.
smile.gif

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is there a known reason for the difference in click latency between the zowie and logitech?
You mention that Zowie "can't compete with the current implementation of logitech mice" but why is this specifically?
Is this true of other brands as well? Does logitech have godlike click latency when compared to all other brands, or is Zowie just particularly bad?

An 8ms difference seems like a lot for something as simple as registering mouse 1.

·
Mouse lover
2,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyC View Post

Is there a known reason for the difference in click latency between the zowie and logitech?
You mention that Zowie "can't compete with the current implementation of logitech mice" but why is this specifically?
Is this true of other brands as well? Does logitech have godlike click latency when compared to all other brands, or is Zowie just particularly bad?

An 8ms difference seems like a lot for something as simple as registering mouse 1.
Yes that's an easy one, you see Logitech's CEO and employees are actually aliens, all of them in fact. So they're able to have sensors from the future, same goes for mouse clicks. However they haven't been able to get their mice shaped for human hands yet.

Haha. They have some good products though, I like their g303 a lot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncck View Post

Yes that's an easy one, you see Logitech's CEO and employees are actually aliens, all of them in fact. So they're able to have sensors from the future, same goes for mouse clicks. However they haven't been able to get their mice shaped for human hands yet.
make sense to me.
although I guess I have alien hands since the g303 shapes works for me.

·
Mouse reviewer
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyC View Post

I only used Logitech as reference because they have consitently low input lag. That is not the total button lag, I think qsxcv measured that too somehow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'd love some videos comparing sound and stiffness if that is even possible.

I have the launch FK1 with some very noticeable latency. I love that mouse to death otherwise. I am very happy with my EC2-A and ZA12.

It is likely I will grab an omron FK1.

I also really like the new colours and bENQ logo position. Very tasteful.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the review,

I'm quite pleased I don't need a new mouse just for this. Hopefully whatever comes next fixes the click latency and stays compatible with my shell (always thought BenQ colours were cheesy).

The only thing I might care for is the wheel, so I hope Zowie offers more options with that as time goes on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great review Ino. so overall the new Zowie mice is a downgrade? I mean higher click latency and worse scroll wheel...

I hope FinalMouse will do better, will you be testing the new FinalMouse Ambi or the ScreamOne? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it...
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.