Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just painted the interior of my HAF 932 with Rustoleum Glossy black spray paint and the spray paint smell is still present. I painted it 10 days ago. I left it outside for the first two days to dry then I reassembled it and put the parts inside, thinking that it was good to go...but nope the smell is still here and i left it in my garage so that the smell might go away.

it's been 10 days now and the smell is still here..i didn't use that much paint seeing how i only used 1 can (yea...i didn't want a grade A paint job
tongue.gif
). the smell is a bit annoying seeing how my computer station is in my bedroom
frown.gif
. I was wondering how long did it take you guys for the smell to go away?

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Might just be me, but an entire can of paint for the interior seems like a lot. That much paint is going to need a while for all the solvents to evaporate out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah..darn..i looked up guides and i thought i read ppl using 2-3 cans for the case..so i figured 1 can would be sufficient for the interior..eh..thanks

im gonna take out all the components and leave it outside again i guess. hopefully 3ish days will do the trick

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hit it with a heat gun. It will help the paint to cure, make sure you don't burn it. But one can really is too much. While the surface paint maybe hard it's probably so thick that the base coat still hasn't dried.

·
Registered
389 Posts
From my experience this can happen if you spray too many/too thick of a coat without leaving enough time for the original layers to dry.

I'd say if you have a heat gun give it a try, not too long/too hot though.

If not you could also just let it dry somewhere else (if the smell is too much.)

Best of luck.

...and as far as 1 can goes, I'd say that's fine as long as you didn't apply all in 1 coat. I.e. just used 1 can all in one go.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chu816;11989156
did i read the guides wrong?
confused.gif
Did you sand the case some lightly and use primer?

Might just be that the paint isn't bonding properly...

(I'm by no means educated on case painting, I bought mine pre-done, so this is probably a stupid point, but just going to throw it out there
smile.gif
)

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
You only used 1 can on a 932? Wow that's a thin coat. And it still hasn't gassed out?

Put it in a warm room.
Just this motherboard tray consumed 2 BIG cans of Rusto Double coverage. This was from a Rocketfish. It took 6 cans to get the interior to look right.
http://www.overclock.net/6489496-post656.html

I used 2 cans of clearcoat alone just on that motherboard tray.

My point isn't how much I used. It's the techniques involved. What you don't see is the case completely in shambles torn apart in about 100 pieces with that tray removed. Then I completely sanded it down to rough up the aluminum before priming it. Once it was primed (3 cans), it got sanded down again until it was ready for color. Dried it overnight at 75*F with low relative humidity. Next morning is when it got color and cleared. I do what's called speed painting when I do color with clearcoat. 5 mins between coats. Minimum 4 coats. 30 min tack time before clear. No sanding, no screwing with it. Shoot and go. After it cures (minimum 30 days), you can dismantle if youwish for wetsanding / waxing.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
No no no, its Perfectly fine to build up a thick Coat. It will be very durable, you need to Wait more time between coats. The paint is just taking a long time to cure because you have encapsulated wet paint. Some paint says only wait 15 minutes between coats, That's Bull.
-First do a thin fog coat helps with adhesion, wait 15m
-next do a nice color coat, make sure to coat well, wait 1-2h
-lightly sand the stipple out if any, then do a finish coat, Let cure in a well ventilated area for at least 24 hrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znv5Fpmirds&playnext=1&list=PLA5E0EB3009182EC1&index=28[/ame[/URL]]
Although this is for a gloss finnish, notice the amount of coats he did.

If you want a Auto body like finnish do what Smash said a few posts before me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
k, im gonna try leaving it outside for a couple of days..hopefully this will work. thanks guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts